Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 08-02-2017, 6:37 PM
Banned

Default Deleted

Deleted

Last edited by Blue Line; 04-15-2018 at 6:47 PM..
Old 08-02-2017, 6:49 PM

Anything but AlienGear.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 08-02-2017, 7:44 PM

Gcode incog

http://www.5arrowstactical.com/
NRA Training Counselor
Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PPIH, PPOH
Chief Range Safety Officer
Old 08-02-2017, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Blue line concealment is my preferred AIWB holster.
2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)
Old 08-02-2017, 8:54 PM

Another vote for the G Code Incog.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Calguns Addict

JM Custom has several variations of AIWB holsters. Quality is excellent. Great service too.

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/c/AIWB-Holsters.html

Incog is good too.

Fighter Pilot
Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 PM

T5 custom kydex, most comfortable aiwb holster I own. Hitchhiker Appendix rig=weapon and mag carrier.
www.t5customkydex.com/product-p/hitch.htm
Old 08-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Look for one with two good clips. Preferably the long ones that mount on the lower parts of the holster. Keeps the whole thing thin and the clips won't print. That's a Bravo DOS, I don't own it, but the principle is the same. It's the one I will likely upgrade to. The clips are also adjustable, you'll need to carry the gun fairly high on the belt so you can sit comfortably or bend over without jabbing the end of the holster into your stomach.

I say two because I have a holster with just one and I would like to have two. It tends to shift a little. Not worried about it flying out or anything like that, but I'd like it stay put a little more.

One more thing. Don't use a super stiff gun belt. First of all, it's a Shield, it won't weigh the belt down much anyway. Appendix carry requires a certain amount of flex to be comfortable. I use a 511 Trainer belt. It's double thick webbing that's not reinforced. It's enough for a loaded Glock 19, though may not be for heavier guns.
Old 08-04-2017, 4:31 AM

SC Holsters

http://www.scgunholsters.com/
Old 08-04-2017, 6:01 AM

I make holsters. In fact I have one for the Shield right now that is IWB for appendix carry.

For appendix many holsters by default retain the gun too high in relation to the waist ban line. Makes for uncomfortable carry. I imagine that most of these builders are simply making a small holster that can be used in many configurations, but not always optimum for appendix.

Most clips either require a belt or, without a belt, lack the needed retention required for good release on a draw. I make a custom clip made from Dewalt sawsall blades that does not require a belt and will retain the holster to the wearer on every draw, if even only wearing boxer shorts.

I carry the Shield almost daily and this is the only holster I will ever use.
Old 08-04-2017, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funthea View Post
I make holsters. In fact I have one for the Shield right now that is IWB for appendix carry.

For appendix many holsters by default retain the gun too high in relation to the waist ban line. Makes for uncomfortable carry. I imagine that most of these builders are simply making a small holster that can be used in many configurations, but not always optimum for appendix.

Most clips either require a belt or, without a belt, lack the needed retention required for good release on a draw. I make a custom clip made from Dewalt sawsall blades that does not require a belt and will retain the holster to the wearer on every draw, if even only wearing boxer shorts.

I carry the Shield almost daily and this is the only holster I will ever use.
Photo or two?
Old 08-04-2017, 10:10 AM

^+1
Old 08-05-2017, 7:26 AM

https://postimg.org/gallery/1nuwgkxu2/

It became obvious that most holster makers either didn't actually carry themselves or they just didn't give it much thought. All too often I would see edges that would cause the whole foot print to be larger than needed, and thus having extra protruding edges that could make carring less comfortable. I experimented and came to the conclusion that appendix carry was the right choice for me, and set out to make that type of carry the main focus of my design.

I happen to know a number of cops and started making holsters for them. They tend to not carry the Shield, but mostly glocks and Sigs, for which I have made many for them. Since we live in the communist state of california, we are religated to but a few hand guns in the sub compact relm, and the Shield is at least a decent option. I have 5 guns on my ccw, all with this type of holster, but the Shield is my go to.

I should note, I carry loaded and chambered. This is not for everyone, especially if the holster is questionable. Holstering a loaded and chambered gun is something that not all holsters can do safely. My holsters are designed specifically to do this with comfidence.

Another note, I have a day job and do not make a business of making holsters. I have a word of mouth clientel base through a net work of cops. This is not a money maker for me, unless you consider making $12/hr a money maker. I charge $75 for these holsters, and that just about covers the hobby craft I enjoy.... when I'm not making knives that is.

Last edited by funthea; 08-05-2017 at 8:01 AM..
Old 08-05-2017, 12:17 PM

As an aside, I have no issue with the pictured Bravo holster above. I'm sure it's as fine as they come. However, as to my point, at least as it pertains to appendix carry... here are issues I see.

1.) It has 2 belt clips, which is fine for most applications, but not necessarily the best for appendix carry as it doesn't allow the gun to kant to one side, and instead forces the gun to sit straight down, stabbing your leg.
2.) For appendix carry, the belt clips sit about 1/2" too low causing the gun to sit too high, thus in your gut when bending over.
3.) Again for appendix carry, notice the end of the barrel where the kydex is sandwiched together, portruding about 1/4" as a knife edge tat will be poking your leg.
4.) Where the belt clip is on the trigger well side of the gun, there should be adiquate room for your forefinger to grip the gun on the draw.
5.) Again on the belt clip on the trigger well side of the gun, in the picture it shows a bit of a purtrution beyond the edge of the holster, which could be a bit of a poking issue.

My intent with this critique of the Bravo holster above was not to impune Bravo in anyway, but merely to show how an appendix carry holster has different requirements than other holsters, or which, all too often, get overlooked and lumped in with other placement carry holsters.
Old 08-05-2017, 4:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Get something with a sweatguard so that the novak style sights dont rip up your belly.
Old 08-06-2017, 3:02 PM

I use Triad. Pretty comfy.

http://www.triadholsters.com/kydex-h...the-waistband/
Old 08-07-2017, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

OP, your post doesn't indicate where you are located. If you haven't found your solution yet, and you live in the Orange County area, I can recommend a shop, or a gun show where you can try various options on. Trying before you buy is invaluable.

I will recommend that if you try on a holster, especially appendix (or center line) that you demo the holster well sitting, and with your seat belt on if at all possible.
Old 08-17-2017, 6:30 PM
Banned

http://aliengearholsters.com/appendi...horizontalTab2

Ended up buying this holster. It's on its way, and I need to find a belt to properly fit it. Torn between this in 1.5 and 1.75. Anyone know what size the clip is on this holster? Wish it was two small clips instead of one big one. I liked this holster because it is an appendix carry with a backing to keep it steady.

http://www.511tactical.com/tdu-belt-...ic-buckle.html

Last edited by Blue Line; 08-17-2017 at 7:23 PM..
Old 08-17-2017, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line View Post
http://aliengearholsters.com/appendi...horizontalTab2

Ended up buying this holster. It's on its way, and I need to find a belt to properly fit it. Torn between this in 1.5 and 1.75. Anyone know what size the clip is on this holster? Wish it was two small clips instead of one big one.

http://www.511tactical.com/tdu-belt-...ic-buckle.html
Let me know how you like it. I'm curious why people rag on Alien Gear?
Old 08-17-2017, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Dumb View Post
Let me know how you like it. I'm curious why people rag on Alien Gear?
Anti-LEO, pro-BLM.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 08-18-2017, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
Anti-LEO, pro-BLM.

What?!
Old 08-23-2017, 9:46 AM

www.mastermindtactics.com/shopmastermind/aiwb

I feel like I should start getting royalties from this company; I rave about them so much.

I have their claw holster for my Shield and G19. It is without a doubt the best bang for your buck...comfort and concealment are right up there with my Incog...for 1/3 the price.
Don't waste your time with Aliengear for appendix...they just do not have it down yet.

Made to order right here in the good ol USA, ships quick...
These guys are doing something right.

And the belts they produce are next level as well.

Now only if I could get those royalties coming in...

GL!
Old 08-23-2017, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
Anti-LEO, pro-BLM.
That's got to be a mistake. When I first became a cop Alien Gear was the only shop that could get me a IWB holster fast for my M&P. I called in my order and mentioned that I was a LEO and they made sure my order got out within a week and I think I may have gotten something like 10% off. This was back in the middle of 2014 when they were relatively new and they had crazy long lead times. Granted I haven't bought anything from them in well over a year but I just don't see them having this kind of attitude.
Old 08-23-2017, 9:13 PM

Too bad they only have a couple for left-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshaka View Post
www.mastermindtactics.com/shopmastermind/aiwb

I feel like I should start getting royalties from this company; I rave about them so much.

I have their claw holster for my Shield and G19. It is without a doubt the best bang for your buck...comfort and concealment are right up there with my Incog...for 1/3 the price.
Don't waste your time with Aliengear for appendix...they just do not have it down yet.

Made to order right here in the good ol USA, ships quick...
These guys are doing something right.

And the belts they produce are next level as well.

Now only if I could get those royalties coming in...

GL!
Old 09-08-2017, 8:51 PM

I have a M&P Shield and the holster by Stealth Gear USA is great for it. Here's a link to their site.

Steathgearusa.com
Old 09-08-2017, 8:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

: ) tagg

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 09-09-2017, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotthelife4u View Post
That's got to be a mistake. When I first became a cop Alien Gear was the only shop that could get me a IWB holster fast for my M&P. I called in my order and mentioned that I was a LEO and they made sure my order got out within a week and I think I may have gotten something like 10% off. This was back in the middle of 2014 when they were relatively new and they had crazy long lead times. Granted I haven't bought anything from them in well over a year but I just don't see them having this kind of attitude.
They have apologized for "unintentionally" bashing cops, but here's what they said
https://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2017/...armed-suspect/
Old 09-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleKnight View Post
They have apologized for "unintentionally" bashing cops, but here's what they said
https://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2017/...armed-suspect/

Thanks for the link.....apparently the inflaming post was by a female employee on her own posting. Just because she's an employee of the company doesn't mean she's not anti-2A. That can happen. Sheit happens. I've never owned their product, and have no intent to use with my CCW handguns, but the owner spoke up to the problem.
Old 09-27-2017, 4:06 PM

What about this holster? Has amazing reviews on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 09-28-2017, 6:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfndoc View Post
What about this holster? Has amazing reviews on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For an appendix holster your going to have to answer two questions before considering the CYA. 1) what kind of belt buckle do you wear, and what is your body type. The clip on the CYA which has minimal adaptability is going to make it difficult to adjust the ride height to your liking, and most importantly will force you to move to the side if your belt buckle has any size to it all. 2) so you wear tucked in shirts. The CYA shown will not allow you to tuck in your shirt.
Design wise it's the cheapest form of kydex taco holster you can make. It can meet your needs, but is better used in a non AIWB role.
Old 09-28-2017, 7:16 AM

I just got this holster and would agree its more comfortable at 4 o'clock vs. appendix carry. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:21 AM

RCS vanguard for the shield might be worth a look for you, I have one for a g43 and I highly recommend it.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I bought one of these to appendix carry my XDS, been pretty happy with it. I'm going to get one for my shield.

http://www.vedderholsters.com/lighttuck
Old 09-29-2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkSh8ds View Post
I bought one of these to appendix carry my XDS, been pretty happy with it. I'm going to get one for my shield.

http://www.vedderholsters.com/lighttuck
I just received this unit today. It fit like a glove. Had a AG starter kit, & while it had some cool features, this light tuck was the ticket for my XDs. I have it at 4:00 with max cant. But it'll work most anywhere on your strong side. At least mine.
Old 11-05-2017, 2:08 PM

I’ve had great luck with black arch holsters. I went with them because every kydex holster i ran rubbed my skin raw (i tend to not wear an under shirt). Their Protos-m is a hybrid of sorts with leather sueade back and kydex shell. I find it very comfortable. It’s tuckable and adjustable. My only beef is I have to shift my buckle to the left of my belt loop inorder to get it comfortable and not print. But I’ve found that the norm with appendix. 5’10” and 160#, so I’m not a big guy. And a use Hunks belt. With that said I’ll probably try mastermind for my G19. I think the “claw” is a must.

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/co...-clip-protos-m