Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder > Curio & Relic Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic Gallery Post pictures of your favorite milsurp here.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:48 AM

Default old cannon from out of state

Does anyone have a quick reference to california law on cannons? I know what the feds say but I have not found any california info unless they are considered black powder in which case federal law would be supreme. Thanks
Old 01-17-2018, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird View Post
Does anyone have a quick reference to california law on cannons? I know what the feds say but I have not found any california info unless they are considered black powder in which case federal law would be supreme. Thanks
What scale do you have? Cannon owner here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 4:03 PM

I have a stainless steel one that is a little over 2 feet long with a bore around one inch or a little more.A signal cannon actually. The barrel came from back east and a guy in Modesto put a small carriage on it with wheels. If i shot it i would find a stronger platform to use. I was always fascinated by the large ones used in the movies but I have learned a lot (maybe not all true) about steel lined versus thicker iron and how many times they might be fired before they should be designated as display only. Nobody seems to do pressure testing of barrels and gunsmiths seem to shy away (maybe due to liability issues?).
Old 01-17-2018, 4:20 PM
I AM THE MAJORITY!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Calling CSACANNONEER.
Old 01-17-2018, 4:39 PM

i bought it more for display but it would be fun to shoot if it is safe. A step up from rifles and pistols of that replica vintage. They always kind of reminded me of something out of the movie "caddyshack". Just something new to get educated in before the government bans all education and knowledge.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:43 AM

If properly made to approved methods, and standards. A Black Powder Cannon really does not need any additional proofing to be safe. I actually think loading proof charges in a Cannon is detrimental, more than of any use. Just causes stress that could actually harm you later on.

Just like a Firearm, proper loads need to be used. Just like working up loads in a cartridge gun, you do the same in a Cannon. Work up to the safe load Data.

Best place to find this kind of safe Construction and load data is on the Greybeard Cannon Forum. We know alot about Cannons over there. There are some CA members over there too, that can help with the Law stuff.

As far as CA Law. I have been gone for over 20 years. But as long as it does not fire a modern Cartridge, and uses charge that is separate from the projectile. You should be fine.

I think even my 1.5 bore rifled Breech Loading Hughes would be legal out there. As it is made exactly after a pre 1899 design. And does not use a readily available self contained cartridge.

Heck, all 10 of my Black Powder Cannons should be legal there.

Look through one of my Cannon threads if you want to. My Hughes would really get em interested in what you are up to
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1169280

Last edited by AR22; 01-18-2018 at 10:48 AM..
Old 01-18-2018, 11:35 AM

thank you for the tips and the knowledge. I never really looked at cannons until recently and all my friends thought they were outlawed already. I have learned a lot in the last few days but then you do not learn if you do not ask. I appreciate the information
Old 02-06-2018, 9:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Muzzleloading cannons are perfectly legal in CA. Other cannons can be legal in CA too but may need a CA DD permit to own. It's a SHALL ISSUE permit if you can meet the requirements.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 02-08-2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird View Post
I have a stainless steel one that is a little over 2 feet long with a bore around one inch or a little more.A signal cannon actually. The barrel came from back east and a guy in Modesto put a small carriage on it with wheels. If i shot it i would find a stronger platform to use. I was always fascinated by the large ones used in the movies but I have learned a lot (maybe not all true) about steel lined versus thicker iron and how many times they might be fired before they should be designated as display only. Nobody seems to do pressure testing of barrels and gunsmiths seem to shy away (maybe due to liability issues?).
Very cool! Take a pic when you get a chance, here's my two,just got my 1841 6pdr today

Old 02-08-2018, 10:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhunter View Post
Very cool! Take a pic when you get a chance, here's my two,just got my 1841 6pdr today

Can you post a picture of the 6lb's trail? What scale is it? From what I can see, it looks more authentic than most scaled guns. Where did you get it from? It's a shame they used that phillips screw on the trunnion cap.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Last edited by CSACANNONEER; 02-08-2018 at 11:02 PM..
Old 02-09-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Can you post a picture of the 6lb's trail? What scale is it? From what I can see, it looks more authentic than most scaled guns. Where did you get it from? It's a shame they used that phillips screw on the trunnion cap.
Its a 1/10 scale, there is good detail to it and I too thought the same as you did, so much detail and Phillips screws on trunnion cap. I brought it up to the builder if he can retrofit to a pin-lock style cap without compromising the safety of firing it.

Here is a link to the 6pdr https://www.minicannontech.com/store/

Old 02-09-2018, 3:32 AM

Yes they could of did more detailed work on the Cap Squares. And though the wheels have the proper amount of spokes, they should be rounded. Wheels should also have a offset.

But making proper wheels in any size is difficult, yet alone in a small scale like yours. So I will give them a pass on that.

Very nice looking little Cannon you have there though. And not a bad price for the details it does have. Have you fired it.
Old 02-09-2018, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR22 View Post
Yes they could of did more detailed work on the Cap Squares. And though the wheels have the proper amount of spokes, they should be rounded. Wheels should also have a offset.

But making proper wheels in any size is difficult, yet alone in a small scale like yours. So I will give them a pass on that.

Very nice looking little Cannon you have there though. And not a bad price for the details it does have. Have you fired it.
I haven't yet, arrived last night. Need to find a place to shoot it around here.

Old 02-09-2018, 7:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If nothing else, take some bondo and fill all the phillips heads and then repaint. A little CAREFUL whittling would fix the square spoke problem. and GET RID of the hitch pin. I can't believe the maker did such a great job with most details and then used big hitch pins and phillips screws.
Utah CCW Instructor