Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 07-30-2013, 9:49 PM

Default Corbin bullet making and barrel maintenance

Folks
I got a brand new Windham AR and wanted to treat the barrel special.
I'd been reading about lapping a barrel to smooth it and followed a link
to Corbin.
This outfit has barrel finishing lapping compounds, barrel cleaning, bullet lube, case lube, gun oil, bullet swaging tools, and a bunch of links that kept me reading for hours.

I'd always wonderd what could be done with .22 shells besides tossing them in the recycle bucket? Corbin has the tools to make them into .224 bullets!

My brand new 16 inch barrel was quite rough by feel, when I ran a patch down it with some hoppe's on it.
I ordered a small quantity of Corbin Bore Lap and followed the instructions.
My rough bore became quite smooth. I followed that with Corbin Benchrest Bore Cleaner.

I had an extra 20 inch barrel that had been used in competition. I repeated the Corbin treatment and am well pleased with the results.

Corbin recommends final treatment as follows: shoot one round, clean the bore with a patch till it's not dirty. Repeat nine more times.

I have yet to do the final treatment as .223 rounds are still quite rare and expensive. Waiting till I can depend on some supply.

I'm impressed with the Corbin stuff.
They are just outside Medford, OR, in White City.
Old 08-03-2013, 4:23 AM

Dave and Richard Corbin are brothers who constituted Corbin products years ago. I bought a swagging set up for jacketed bullets from them back in the 1980's. Since then they parted ways and setup separate companies. Richard Corbin is at http://www.rceco.com/ in Phoenix, Oregon.

There is another source of barrel lapping supplies at: http://www.davidtubb.com/ navigate to the PRODUCTS button and select FINAL FINISH & TMS from the menu. They sell kits of loaded ammunition to lap barrels in many calibers, and coated bullets to load yourself. The Throat Maintenance System is designed to smooth rough throats as a barrel ages. Just be advised that the NRA did tests on the fire lapping process and discovered that about all that was accomplished was moving the throat forward due to the abrasive wear. There was minimal accuracy gain, if any. My only experience with fire lapping involved smoothing a throat after I recut it to allow longer seating of a particular bullet, it did help, but the twist rate was just too slow for maximum accuracy.

David Tubb reportedly uses Gary Schneider polygonal rifled barrels on his match rifles to avoid fouling problems among other advantages. I used a Pac-Nor polygonal rifled barrel in a .223 Remington and found them superior in smoothness, ease of cleaning and superior in accuracy. If you want to try a true polygonal rifled barrel in an AR try this site: http://blackholeweaponry.com/

Last edited by Wrangler John; 08-03-2013 at 4:38 AM..