Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Goal Zero 1400LI

I have been thinking of using my DJT bucks on a portable solar system to charge communication batteries, knowing to buy double what you need.

I am looking a a Goal Zero 1400 LI battery module and two 200 watt suitcase solar units with the MPPT controller option, 400 watts total.

My logic is portability, double what I need and will handle all my batteries at one time. I have a 2Kw portable gas generator, but like the idea of charging the Goal Zero during the sunlight and charging my comms batteries quietly at night.

Thoughts?
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 05-25-2020, 11:08 AM

Goal Zero has always been nicely put together, well marketed, apparently works well, but is just over priced. I’d suggest you look at what it does, find an alternative plus a solar panel and save 33-50%.
Old 05-25-2020, 6:44 PM

I go back and forth on solar generators. I have parts to build a small solar system and I have a solar on my travel trailer but there is some appeal for a all in one system like GZ. I don't think there is any reason to buy GZ branded solar panels. I would look at the Renogy solar suitcases (w/o controller).
Old 05-25-2020, 6:55 PM
Veteran Member

Wait for the new X line later this year.

The new line has a 2kw inverter instead of a 1.5kw, meaning it won't overload with a full sized fridge. You'll also be able to run power tools off the new ones, where the current line goes into overload on a circular saw.

The new line charges faster, and also can put out 30 amps of 12v power instead of 20 amps on the current line.

The 500X is already out. The rest will be coming in the next few months.

When sizing your system, remember that solar panels usually put out at most 80% of their rated power, and batteries don't like to be discharged below 20%. Get everything "one size up" from your calculated power needs and you'll be happy.

The main downside to the goal zero systems is their choice of battery technology. They went with lithium ion, which weighs less, but the battery reaches 50% of it's original capacity at about 5 years and needs to be replaced. Goal zero will service the battery at 1/2 the cost of a new one. They could have done lithium iron phosphate and gotten 15 years out of the batteries, but the box would weigh 60-80lbs instead of the 30lbs they currently weigh. I don't care so much about the weight, and there would a considerable cost savings in batteries that don't need to be replaced as often.

When calculating total cost of ownership, make sure to include that it will need replacing or servicing every 5 years, whereas an emergency generator will last 20+ years with little maintenance beyond oil changes.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12

Last edited by unusedusername; 05-25-2020 at 7:07 PM..
Old 05-26-2020, 12:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have heard good things about goal zero. Have heard even better things about Inergy.
Inergy just came out with a new one and they have a couple 400w kits for it. Looks like it would probably save you a bit of money, be a high quality product, but it has a bit smaller battery than the goal zero you are looking at. (1069 watt hour vs 1400 watt hour).
No personal experience with either. Worth a look though.
https://inergytek.com/collections/kits
Old 05-26-2020, 11:08 AM

Titan by Point Zero is the best out there. They are more expensive, but is scalable. With two battery modules, you get 4kwh with charging capability of 2000w input and 3000w pure sine output continuous. I think you can expend to 6 battery modules for 12kwh.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:20 PM
YOU are next!!

EcoFlow just released some new batteries that are chainable....
Old 05-26-2020, 4:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
Wait for the new X line later this year.

The new line has a 2kw inverter instead of a 1.5kw, meaning it won't overload with a full sized fridge. You'll also be able to run power tools off the new ones, where the current line goes into overload on a circular saw.

The new line charges faster, and also can put out 30 amps of 12v power instead of 20 amps on the current line.

The 500X is already out. The rest will be coming in the next few months.

When sizing your system, remember that solar panels usually put out at most 80% of their rated power, and batteries don't like to be discharged below 20%. Get everything "one size up" from your calculated power needs and you'll be happy.

The main downside to the goal zero systems is their choice of battery technology. They went with lithium ion, which weighs less, but the battery reaches 50% of it's original capacity at about 5 years and needs to be replaced. Goal zero will service the battery at 1/2 the cost of a new one. They could have done lithium iron phosphate and gotten 15 years out of the batteries, but the box would weigh 60-80lbs instead of the 30lbs they currently weigh. I don't care so much about the weight, and there would a considerable cost savings in batteries that don't need to be replaced as often.

When calculating total cost of ownership, make sure to include that it will need replacing or servicing every 5 years, whereas an emergency generator will last 20+ years with little maintenance beyond oil changes.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 05-27-2020, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelf3 View Post
Titan by Point Zero is the best out there. They are more expensive, but is scalable. With two battery modules, you get 4kwh with charging capability of 2000w input and 3000w pure sine output continuous. I think you can expend to 6 battery modules for 12kwh.
I've watched some YouTube reviews and this one seems solid. Many of the others solar generators have a few quirks; slow charge rate, unregulated DC output, smaller inverter, no MPPT solar controller. If I had an off-grid cabin, a Titan and a few solar panels would be a nice, portable, all in one solution.
Old 07-09-2020, 4:15 PM

If goal zero is what you want, check Costco the GZ road shows 2 or 3 times a year. You can saves some bucks.
5 years ago I brought the Yety400 because I use a CPAP. I take it camping. I have a harbor frieght 100 watt panels and a spare battery that powers 7 60 watt lights in camp.
I wish could understand all tech info that you are using.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:03 AM

GoalZero is like the Nike of shoes. It's an expensive name brand that really doesn't add anything aside it's name.

There are similar and cheaper alternatives that are just as reliable.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2020, 2:29 PM

Most of the bigger GoalZero power stations (Yeti 1000, 1400, 3000) are out of stock, even at its own GoalZero online store.

I need some power source for my wife's Work-From-Home computer, in case of PSPS power outage this year.

Her work computer is an energy hog. I hope to have an emergency 'clean battery power source' that could run her computer for as long as 3 days (8-10 hours per day.)

Still trying to figure out a solution....

Calguns tech gurus, any advises?

Updated:

Since the GoalZero Yeti 1000, 1400, 3000 have been out-of-stock for a while, I just pulled the trigger on a Jackery Explorer 1000 (it has the same 18650 lithium cells that Goal Zero uses, I believe.)

Currently, Jackery offers $100 discount on the Explorer 1000. It is no Yeti 1400, but for $899 the Jackery 1000 sounds like a good deal (1002Wh capacity and 1000W power.)

I have read good reviews on the latest version of Jackery Explorer 1000. I look forward to give it a try.

Last edited by axhoaxho; 07-11-2020 at 1:14 AM..
Old 07-11-2020, 10:54 AM

I have a smaller jakery and some other similar big battery inverters.

They work great. The solar charger socket is pretty generic. Grab some used big panels off Craigslist and wire it up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

I have the GZ 1400 plus the largest panels, the optimizer for the panels, and the larger capacity AC charger. I also have a Honda 2000 generator. My fridge only draws about 650 watts so m good to go. Charge the GZ and run the fridge during he day, run the fridge on the GZ at night.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 07-11-2020, 1:39 PM
Veteran Member

Jackery makes a good unit. The only downside vs goal zero is that Jackery won't replace the batteries when they die (4-5 years), whereas Goalzero will replace them.

The Jackery costs $800 / 4 years = 200/yr for 1000 watts hours or $0.20 for a watt hour of storage per year.

The goal zero is $1200 / 4 years + $600 /4 years (battery replacement is $600) = $225/ year for 1400 watts or $0.16 per watt hour of storage per year.

Do you don't need the extra 400watt hours of storage then the Jackery comes out overall cheaper per year at $200/yr vs $225 per year.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12

Last edited by unusedusername; 07-11-2020 at 2:07 PM..
Old 07-12-2020, 1:31 PM

I honestly never thought about one of these units. The price is not to bad either. Looking at the Titan and I would really like to get one of those with 3 batteries, but it looks like they are out till September/October some time.
Old 07-14-2020, 4:00 PM

Professor Hobo (Hototech) tested the Jackery Explorer 1000 with some appliances (portable freezer, small heater, RV air conditioner, electric cooker, 1000W microwave oven, etc.)

Not bad for a little (weight 22 lbs) emergency battery power supply at its price (around $899.)

https://youtu.be/2QsiXf_m4o8
Old 07-31-2020, 2:17 PM

Very interested in obtaining set of panels and station, mainly for one purpose: powering full size fridge and saving food during outages. Cannot run any gas generator whatsoever where I am. Fridge is new, “medium” full size, energy star rated, around 22cu ft, ~ 500W?
Charging tablets and stuff is nice but mainly fridge. That and maybe tiny kettle for cup of tea. Fine if it takes 15min to boil.

What powerful enough setup I need for that?

Last edited by Vytis; 07-31-2020 at 2:21 PM..
Old 07-31-2020, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

First get a Kill-a-WATT meter from Amazon or HF. The meter measures how much power an appliance uses. You can't calculate how big of a battery or solar system you need until you know what level of load you need to support.

The meter is cheap-ish.
https://amazon.com/dp/B00009MDBU/

The math is:
How many watts of energy does my fridge use in 1 hour
Multiply that by how long you need to use it

You'll get a number of watt hours. You'll notice batteries are also rated in watt hours. Get a bigger battery then you need as batteries don't like going below 20% charge.

If you want to run longer then the battery will last then you need a way to recharge the battery at a greater rate then you drain it.

You might be able to recharge the battery from a generator, from solar, or from your car, depending on what battery station you get.

Don't forget that solar panels don't work at night. A safe assumption is your panels will give "full" power for 4-6 hours per day.

My math:

My newish fridge and seperate chest freezer combined uses 120 watts on average (watt hours on the meter divided by time in the meter). My fridge alone uses 80 watts on average. The freezer uses 40 watts on average. I measured this on a hot day without running the house fan or AC unit. This means to run it for a day, worst case, I need 120*24 hours = 2880 watt hours or nearly a 3 killawatt hour battery, assuming I don't recharge it.

If I want to keep the fridge running indefinitely I'll need 120 watts * 4 of solar (assuming the panels put out power for 1/4 of the day or 6 hours) = 480 watts of solar panels.

If I want to calculate the minimum battery, I could assume I only want to keep it running for 18 hours, where it recharges it in the other 4 hours. Those calculations give me a 120 watt*18 hours = 2160 watt hour battery, or a 2kwh battery.

Either of these has a problem in that if I don't get any sun for a day that I'll run the battery dry.

Always add 20% to your numbers to take losses in the battery and charging system.

Quote:

Last edited by unusedusername; 07-31-2020 at 11:49 PM..
Old 08-01-2020, 11:32 AM

Couldn’t ask for better answer, thank you!
It seems like full size fridge, no matter how new and efficient is still power hungry beast to power with these portable stations and solar panels even temporarily.

I had this fantasy that I’ll be able to do this with $1K budget for station and couple of 100w panels but looks like I need to adjust my expectations..
Old 08-01-2020, 7:08 PM

After a few PSPS power outages last year, I bought a 12V portable fridge/freezer. It uses little energy (around 55W) and can keep the food/drink cold/frozen.

I put it in my truck at range days, and left it plugged-in at home as a secondary fridge/freezer. When there's a power outage, I'd connect it to my portable power stations (Jackery Explorer + solar panel.)

https://youtu.be/ATB74Yub-hM

https://youtu.be/W0Wz6MypZ-Y
Old 08-02-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
Couldnít ask for better answer, thank you!
It seems like full size fridge, no matter how new and efficient is still power hungry beast to power with these portable stations and solar panels even temporarily.

I had this fantasy that Iíll be able to do this with $1K budget for station and couple of 100w panels but looks like I need to adjust my expectations..
For relatively new refrigerators and freezers, I think you can run at most ONE appliance on a GZ 1000 or 1400 with 3-4 panels. If you have more, use a generator.

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/survi...-power-outage/
Old 08-02-2020, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwanghoops View Post
For relatively new refrigerators and freezers, I think you can run at most ONE appliance on a GZ 1000 or 1400 with 3-4 panels. If you have more, use a generator.

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/survi...-power-outage/
Chest freezer hands down-- significantly more efficient than a typical kitchen refrigerator.

Stay safe and stay legal. You can't protect your family from within a prison cell.

NRA Certified Instructor. Feel free to ping me about ad-hoc instruction and coaching.
Old 08-06-2020, 5:21 PM

Just tested my Jackery 1000 on our tankless water heater (local city codes required all new houses with tankless water heater.)

The water heater itself runs on gas, yet its computer needs electricity to operate (about 27W.)

It worked like a charm.

Old 08-08-2020, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axhoaxho View Post
Just tested my Jackery 1000 on our tankless water heater (local city codes required all new houses with tankless water heater.)

The water heater itself runs on gas, yet its computer needs electricity to operate (about 27W.)

It worked like a charm.

27w. Is there any need to plug it in when not in use for any reason, or is that literally a "I'm about to shower so let me plug this in for 20 minutes"?

I don't know anything about tankless so this is super interesting

Stay safe and stay legal. You can't protect your family from within a prison cell.

NRA Certified Instructor. Feel free to ping me about ad-hoc instruction and coaching.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope View Post
27w. Is there any need to plug it in when not in use for any reason, or is that literally a "I'm about to shower so let me plug this in for 20 minutes"?

I don't know anything about tankless so this is super interesting
I am no tankless water heater expert. Just from what I have tried, during power outages, I could unplug the tankless water heater (mine is gas) from my portable power station, when not in use.

The electricity was used to power the computer circuit, igniter (no pilot light in my model,) thermistors, flow sensor, etc., etc.

Last edited by axhoaxho; 08-08-2020 at 11:09 PM..
Old 08-13-2020, 8:28 PM

Been looking for a Goal Zero since this post and have not found one.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepped and ready View Post
Everyone's picking them up for outage season. There are plenty of substitutes on the market still, depending on capacity you're looking for

Old 08-14-2020, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepped and ready View Post
I'm in the same boat. The 500x is too small for my use case.

The 1000, 1400, and 3000 have been discontinued pending the release of their new models. The new 1000x, 1400x, and 3000x are not released yet.

That's why you can't find any.

Quote:
Old 08-14-2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
I'm in the same boat. The 500x is too small for my use case.

The 1000, 1400, and 3000 have been discontinued pending the release of their new models. The new 1000x, 1400x, and 3000x are not released yet.

That's why you can't find any.
Thanks for the update. The 3000 is on my purchase list now so I will wait for the new one to be availible.