Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-04-2015, 8:01 AM

Default USPSA production gun? CZ sp-01

I bought a CZ SP-01 and am having work done on it by Cajun Gun Works. My question is....Can I have the lanyard loop on the bottom of the grip ground off? I know CZ Shadows all have them removed and Shadows are listed for production class in USPSA, but mine is not a Shadow, so would this constitute an illegal "modification" under rules?
Old 02-04-2015, 8:41 AM

Rule of thumb is that you can't modify anything that is externally visible except for the sights. Make sure you read the rules here: http://www.uspsa.org/document_librar...un%20Rules.pdf, but this one rule is what gets you:

Please note that, during a match, a shooter may be required to demonstrate that their gun is in compliance with Division rules by identifying a specific rules clause or published interpretation which authorizes any disputed modification. If the shooter cannot identify an authorizing rules-clause or published interpretation, the RM shall rule that the modification is PROHIBITED for Production use and shall move the shooter to Open Division.

Basically, if it isn't otherwise SPECIFICALLY STATED AS ALLOWED, it is to be understood to be an illegal modification and you will get bumped to Open.
Old 02-04-2015, 3:27 PM

CZC sells a non lanyard loop mainspring plug
Old 02-04-2015, 5:28 PM
Veteran Member

Removing the lanyard loop is OK in production because it is a factory part used in other production guns by CZ. It's the same reason you can put the hammer to the same hammer that is on the Shadow or why you can put a Glock 21 mag release on a Glock 19.
Old 02-05-2015, 4:37 AM

shooting production make sure you use czc parts. if they nitpick you would have to prove you used an approved part. For production I use the czc sights and hammer since everyone knows what

they look like. Some clubs are not as nitpicky. I've seen an xd shoot production with a non stock looking trigger and they leave it be.

Last edited by snacks; 02-05-2015 at 4:40 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2015, 11:10 AM

So what im understanding is that I can replace the mainspring plug with a czc part, but not grind off the existing to make it look the same? Also, I thought any sight changes are approved as long as they are notch/post type? Meaning, not have to be a CZ part... Dawson, Heine, lpa etc.. I'm having the slide milled for an LPA.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD123 View Post
So what im understanding is that I can replace the mainspring plug with a czc part, but not grind off the existing to make it look the same? Also, I thought any sight changes are approved as long as they are notch/post type? Meaning, not have to be a CZ part... Dawson, Heine, lpa etc.. I'm having the slide milled for an LPA.
This post is all over the place. You're talking about 3 different things as if they're the same thing.
Old 02-05-2015, 2:41 PM

Well, why don't you help by giving your take on the original question about the loop then? I only mentioned the sights because Snacks said to use czc sights. I checked and milling the slide is allowed for sight install, and aftermarket sights are also allowed.
Old 02-05-2015, 3:59 PM

Any brand of sights is within the rules as long as they are of the notch and post type.

As for the lanyard loop, modifying it by removing/grinding is not allowed by the rules.
Replacing it with a "Factory" part is within the rules.
Old 02-05-2015, 4:03 PM

Milling of the slide to install the LPA sight is good to go for USPSA.
Might not be for other sanctioning bodies.