Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-08-2016, 9:15 PM

Mmm... "SCUZZ!" "HARDER, FASTER, AYE SIR!" "SCUZZ!" "HARDER, FASTER, AYE SIR!"

Good Ole scuzz brush... chanting the rifle man's creed as you sweep the 87lbs of sand off the floor for the 3rd time today... (50th try of the 3rd time LOL).

In all reality, boot camp isn't difficult. It's all mental. I'd do it again just to be a belligerent turd and have fun with it, knowing what it was like.
Old 02-09-2016, 1:03 PM

Any update on choice if MOS?
Old 02-09-2016, 1:58 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats. Don't quit, everything is mental.

Oh and when you get to that point (in the fleet) when you hate your life, remember the reasons why you joined. You're either going to love it or hate it, but don't judge the Marine Corps off your first unit.
Old 02-13-2016, 9:51 PM
Calguns Addict

bubbagump, congratulations on taking the first steps to becoming a Marine. I was like you, I joined using the delayed entry program. I also had my heart set on being in the infantry, and I was guaranteed combat arms. After boot camp, I was scheduled to go to the 11th Marines, which is artillery. I could not get anyone to reassign me to the Infantry Training School, so as a PFC fresh out of boot camp, I went to see the Sgt. Maj. of 1st Recon, and told him I wanted to be Recon. He got me orders to ITS, then I got a chance at Recon, and spent over 8 years there, and I don't regret a single day of being a Recon Marine. I joined the Marine Corps because I wanted to be an infantryman; If I wanted a job that I could apply as a civilian, I would have joined another service.

PS, I realize Ducky0811, is recruiter and he trying to help you, but I just sent a messaged to a friend who was on recruiting duty for advice on your situation.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Bubba Gump, STOP. Seriously.

RandyD will try to help you here.

If the recruiter doesn't have an 03 MOS for you, and that's what you want to do, then do not proceed. Do not go open contract.

If you want to visit, 1st recon BATALLION is run by a Sergeant Major Leal.

1st Raider Batallion is run by Sgt Major Tellez.

If you're not interested in Marsoc or Batallion Recon, many units to drop by and visit.

Again, do not get caught in a recruiter sticking you with whatever MOS he needs to fill for his quote. Full stop.
Old 02-15-2016, 6:38 PM

No matter what MOS you choose, make sure you sign up for the GI Bill and Kicker. It is the best return on YOUR money that you will ever get. Best of luck and have fun!
Old 02-16-2016, 7:35 PM
Calguns Addict

OP, I just received a message from my buddy that used to be a recruiter. I'll cut and paste it in full for you to read.

"If you have his ASVAB results, it will say where his best scoring was such as Electrical, Admin, and other such things. If you don't have those results ask if he is Mechanically inclined or not. Or if he knows or has done any electrical work, so on and so on. If he is definitely sold on the Marine Corps, than he could go Open contract. Under the open contract the Marine Corps will first consider the needs of the Corps and place him in the job that his test scores show that he is qualified to do. I sold this contract a lot. Good Luck!!"

I will second what glbtrottr said. He and I were both Recon, and my time in Recon was over 30 years ago, and the bonds I have with those I served with is unbreakable. I doubt that would be the case if I were in a pog unit. Stick to your guns, I never heard of a Marine Corps Infantry Battalion that had to many infantrymen.

Chat Conversation End
Old 02-16-2016, 8:38 PM

Lol, so much wrong information here... as the Marine that runs recruiting for half of San jose, Santa clara and milpitas.... I'm going to make a call here... when an applicant stops returning calls and ghosts.... it's bc he isn't following through on his commitment.... I'm gonna guess he backed out.
Old 02-18-2016, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky_0811 View Post
Lol, so much wrong information here... as the Marine that runs recruiting for half of San jose, Santa clara and milpitas.... I'm going to make a call here... when an applicant stops returning calls and ghosts.... it's bc he isn't following through on his commitment.... I'm gonna guess he backed out.
and you're that much closer to rollin a donut
Old 02-18-2016, 10:31 PM

^^^LOL^^^ Someone has spent time on the streets!
Old 05-03-2016, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky_0811 View Post
^^^LOL^^^ Someone has spent time on the streets!
0811.. party with arty!
Old 05-03-2016, 8:31 PM

so I happened to find this thread with the bump....LMAO I can't believe there is a line for 03...Year long wait to pound ground? Kids play too much call of duty these days...meh don't blame them, i watched Full Metal Jacket too many times as a kid.

With that said, learning something that translates better than "crossing guard" in civilian life is a real consideration too.

Guns don't kill people. People Kill people.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:31 PM

No show? Bubba quit before it even started? That'll be something he'll regret later on down the road. Our corps will keep on rolling anyways. It could be time to lock this thread.
Old 05-10-2016, 4:39 PM

Perhaps a 1371 Combat Engineer/Educated Grunt would be a great option...Had I stayed in, would be retiring in 15months...oh well
Old 05-21-2016, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCCPL View Post
Perhaps a 1371 Combat Engineer/Educated Grunt would be a great option...Had I stayed in, would be retiring in 15months...oh well
I retired as a 1371, you don't receive any meaningful job skills for the civilian world unless you stay in long enough to retire. Even then, you'd need to get lucky and land a billet that puts you on the extreme edge of the 1371 construction field.