Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-22-2017, 3:51 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Default Laptop comparison Qs

Question for the computer peoples- looking for a laptop for the wife, think I have it narrowed down to a couple.

Mainly used for web, facebook, streaming KODI, photo storage and editing, and a little video editing.

I want minimum 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, plus a smaller 128-256gb SSD for the OS

I found this Acer with an AMD fx9800p processor, AMD Radeon r7 m440 graphics, 16gb RAM, 1TB HDD, 128GB SSD for $600
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1TS-000X-00NE4

Or this HP flippy tablet transgender touchscreen laptop, I7-7500U processor, integrated intel HD 620 graphics, 16GB ram, 1tb HDD, 128gb SSD for $800
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIADVH6FA2975

The flippy touchscreen thing is kinda cool but I'm not sure how much it would really be used. But would you say the Intel I7 is worth the extra $200? Or worth it to avoid Acer? Or avoid HP? The acer is about $100 off list price but the HP is over $800 below list (refurbished but that doesn't matter to me)
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-22-2017, 4:32 PM

Depends on how much you're willing to spend. Want something guaranteed to give you no trouble editing video, and streaming? Get a gaming machine. Seriously. I rebuild gamers for resale. They're easier to upgrade, work on, and have much better cooling than either business class, or "consumer" grade (Wal-Mart/Costco) computers. They do business, better than business class computers, and are certainly more reliable, and better at everything, than other computers.

For the configuration you want? I recommend:

Lenovo.
MSI.
ASUS ROG.
Alienware.
VERY high end Dell. Do NOT get a budget, or mid-range Dell (or any other brand), and expect it to last.
For now, stay AWAY from any HP, or Acer. I have two brand new HP Omens on my rack right now, that are "bricked" due to heating issues. I'm in the process of working with HP over the warranties for my customers, to have them replaced.

ANY of the above, can be purchased off of Ebay, for a very, reasonable price.

Most of the rest have insufficient cooling, and cut corners on QC, and components.

Make sure you add another $100, or so, and get yourself an external HDD to back up photos, and image your computer on!!!

Last edited by Dragunov; 11-22-2017 at 4:43 PM..
Old 11-22-2017, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
For now, stay AWAY from any HP, or Acer.
Curious why you say that. I've had nothing but good luck with Acer products. My previous laptop was an Acer which I've been using for at least 5 years, haven't had a single issue with it. I still have it, even has the original battery which holds a charge almost as well as new. It's been dropped several times, pieces of the case broken off, banged around, chewed on, still runs like a champ. I just replaced it with another Acer, a Predator 17, which is by far the best deal out there for a gaming laptop. Where else are you going to find a 17 inch with an Intel i7 6700HQ, 16 GB RAM, 2 PCIe SSDs, 1 TB HDD, and a GTX 1070 for $1320? And I paid even less than that.

OP, given the two models you listed, since you mentioned video editing, definitely opt for an i7 over an AMD CPU. Intel destroys AMD in content creation and editing. I would also HIGHLY recommend a 4-core CPU, which the 7500U is not, it's a dual core. Maybe look for a laptop with a 7700HQ in your price range.

Also, if you're not tech savvy to troubleshoot and replace components yourself, I'd not buy off of ebay, unless it comes with a manufacturer warranty.

What's the top of your price range?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited by MrFancyPants; 11-22-2017 at 6:13 PM..
Old 11-22-2017, 6:16 PM
Veteran Member

Would the XPS qualify as a high end dell? Costco has great deals on them now...

Quote:
Depends on how much you're willing to spend. Want something guaranteed to give you no trouble editing video, and streaming? Get a gaming machine. Seriously. I rebuild gamers for resale. They're easier to upgrade, work on, and have much better cooling than either business class, or "consumer" grade (Wal-Mart/Costco) computers. They do business, better than business class computers, and are certainly more reliable, and better at everything, than other computers.

For the configuration you want? I recommend:

Lenovo.
MSI.
ASUS ROG.
Alienware.
VERY high end Dell. Do NOT get a budget, or mid-range Dell (or any other brand), and expect it to last.
For now, stay AWAY from any HP, or Acer. I have two brand new HP Omens on my rack right now, that are "bricked" due to heating issues. I'm in the process of working with HP over the warranties for my customers, to have them replaced.

ANY of the above, can be purchased off of Ebay, for a very, reasonable price.

Most of the rest have insufficient cooling, and cut corners on QC, and components.

Make sure you add another $100, or so, and get yourself an external HDD to back up photos, and image your computer on!!!
Old 11-22-2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal77 View Post
Would the XPS qualify as a high end dell? Costco has great deals on them now...
I would say so. Didn't know you could get them at Costco. Just make sure to clean off all the bloatware it comes with. Ditch the Norton, or McAfee AV, and get AVAST! Free AV. MANY studies have shown it to be the best.

Here is an example of a good Dell, with decent cooling that would work for you

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-XPS9560-...SIN=B01N1Q0M4O

.... Warning! Use supplemental cooling for any laptop you're going to do any intense graphics with. Even if it's nothing more than 2 liter bottle caps under each corner, to give it room to breath.

Here's another one I recommend at about the same price. "Gigabyte" makes decent computers also.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074WCL15X...detail_5?psc=1

Last edited by Dragunov; 11-22-2017 at 10:03 PM..
Old 11-22-2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post
Curious why you say that. I've had nothing but good luck with Acer products. My previous laptop was an Acer which I've been using for at least 5 years, haven't had a single issue with it. I still have it, even has the original battery which holds a charge almost as well as new. It's been dropped several times, pieces of the case broken off, banged around, chewed on, still runs like a champ. I just replaced it with another Acer, a Predator 17, which is by far the best deal out there for a gaming laptop. Where else are you going to find a 17 inch with an Intel i7 6700HQ, 16 GB RAM, 2 PCIe SSDs, 1 TB HDD, and a GTX 1070 for $1320? And I paid even less than that.

OP, given the two models you listed, since you mentioned video editing, definitely opt for an i7 over an AMD CPU. Intel destroys AMD in content creation and editing. I would also HIGHLY recommend a 4-core CPU, which the 7500U is not, it's a dual core. Maybe look for a laptop with a 7700HQ in your price range.

Also, if you're not tech savvy to troubleshoot and replace components yourself, I'd not buy off of ebay, unless it comes with a manufacturer warranty.

What's the top of your price range?

HP, and Acer cut corners on components. You may get lucky, you may not. HP has issues with their dedicated, video chips bricking. Acer use sub standard capacitors and resistors in their computers. If you over heat them, You'll get into big trouble. I've had to repair several of each of these this year. Next year, they may make the best computers on the market, and Asus may be the worst. It's just the way it goes with computers. The Acer Predator 17, may be the best computer out there this year. It may be junk. IDK. I'll make that determination after 18 months, if I get any I have to work on, or acquire and use myself.

MSI
Lenovo
Asus ROG
Alienware, and high end Dell have been the most consistent performers, since about 2010.

These are the LEAST I have to repair. I've never had to fix a Lenovo, for ANYthing but minor issues. Never had to work on an MSI period, and I know lots of people with them, including my Daughter. I get few Asus computers in with anything more than very minor issues.

Ebay has an excellent money back guarantee.

I've purchased over 100 machines from them over the last couple years, and only twice, had issues that were quickly resolved each time.

The top of my price range? Can't say. I have a couple computers (MSI) I bought bare bones, for $600 each. Two years old, Cost me around $500 to "repair", and sold for $2500 each. These machines were $5000 new. Of course, they come with a limited, lifetime warranty, and support, as long as the owner purchased it from me. I give the same warranty for Lenovo's.

I have a Lenovo Y410p, and a Y510p, that were damaged. I paid $150 each for them. I put around $300 each in them. The Y410p is worth $1000, and is three years old, the Y510p with removable/replaceable video, is worth appx $2000.

Would I pay for a new computer for myself? Probably not. I have no reason to, as I can fix/build/repair my own.

For someone else? If a high end, $7000 MSI, or Alienware suits there needs, and they have the ducketts? I don't think it's an unreasonable amount. No longer is the case that your computer is "obsolete" in 18 months. Moore's Law, has hit the wall.

I have a Lenovo T420, that will run even the latest software in its i7/nVidia configuration, save for the very latest games, and run it all, well. THAT computer was built in 2012, and is my "Daily Driver". I paid $70 dollars for it, $45 for the i7 processor, $40 for a 7200rpm 1tb HDD, and $80 for 16gb/ram. It came with the nVidia NVS4200 graphics chipset. It plays any games *I* wish to play, It runs my 3 year old Auto CAD software, Adobe photoshop, MSOffice 2013, and anything else I wish to use with zero issues.

That's $235 for a computer that does everything I want it to do, never breaks down, or causes problems, and is a fairly decent gaming machine. What's more, is that the keyboard is the best laptop keyboard I've ever used, and the sound is decent enough.

What more could I ask from a $235 machine?!?

Strangely enough, my wife has a budget, touchscreen HP15/Win8.1 machine, that's been reliable enough, but it has the build quality of a '74 Yugo. It's also a pain to get 8gb/ram working in it, and to upgrade the HDD. The numerical keypad doesn't work half the time, pieces keep coming apart/loose on it, but functionally, it's been ok.

I agree with you on your opinion, comparing AMD, and Intel... Go Intel, period!

Last edited by Dragunov; 11-23-2017 at 11:13 PM..
Old 11-22-2017, 9:09 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

I’d say that about 800 is my price limit, I know that’s not high end but it’s really just for kodi and Facebook, with enough storage for a lot of pics and videos.

The only video editing she does is stitching together clips and adding music, nothing fancy.

My friend showed me an Asus with the i7-7500, 8gb ram, intel hd 620 graphics, 1tb hdd and 128gb SSD for $750
https://m.newegg.com/products/34-234-655

So basically $50 cheaper than the HP, only 8gb ram (but probably more than enough and easy to upgrade) and no flippy tablet touchscreen, but asus quality instead

Seems like another decent contender
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-23-2017, 12:10 PM

Here's another option, for a little more than your $800 budget, but you get quite a bit more:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA9SE6M49821

It has a 4-core i7 CPU, 16 GB of RAM, a better graphics chip and a 17.3 inch screen. Not sure if you're more concerned with portability or prefer a 15.6 inch screen. I've never owned a Lenovo but from what I've heard they're pretty solid.

The Asus you mentioned would be good enough for casual use though, so it really just comes down to what you want to spend.

Old 11-23-2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda440 View Post
I’d say that about 800 is my price limit, I know that’s not high end but it’s really just for kodi and Facebook, with enough storage for a lot of pics and videos.

The only video editing she does is stitching together clips and adding music, nothing fancy.

My friend showed me an Asus with the i7-7500, 8gb ram, intel hd 620 graphics, 1tb hdd and 128gb SSD for $750
https://m.newegg.com/products/34-234-655

So basically $50 cheaper than the HP, only 8gb ram (but probably more than enough and easy to upgrade) and no flippy tablet touchscreen, but asus quality instead

Seems like another decent contender
In that case, a ThinkPad T420/T430 with nVidia, and with an i5 processor, or T440 would be good. $400 for a T440 on the high end, $200-$250 for a T420 on the low end. You can always upgrade the HDD yourself. It takes 15 minutes to clone the new drive, and less than five minutes to remove the old one, and install the new one. It's less complicated than making breakfast. There are a hundred YouTube video's, that walk you through the process, step-by-step.

If you don't want to go Amazon, or Ebay, you can probably get a better deal, than New Egg. Check TigerDirect.com.

My only issue with "thin and light" laptops are that they CAN have cooling issues, and aren't real upgradeable. If you do decide on that Asus, or any other "thin" computer... Including new IdeaPads, or Yoga's, make SURE it will do everything you need it to do, due to poor upgrade options, and make sure you don't use it on anything but a hard, flat surface. You must also consider that both the NEW IdeaPads, and the Asus you are considering, are CONSUMER grade laptops. albeit, pretty good ones. However, unlike a ThinkPad, you do *NOT* want to accidentally drop it! DOOM!!!

DON'T forget to get a USB, External drive for backups!

I fail to see any advantage of an i7, over an i5 for the average user. Just make sure you have 8gb/ram. 6 will do, if you're on a tight budget. Even my lightest systems (i5/nVidia/8gb/ram), will handle most everything I do, without issues. A little slow with Auto-CAD, and Sims, but definitely still doable.

Last edited by Dragunov; 11-23-2017 at 11:00 PM..
Old 11-23-2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Here's another option, for a little more than your $800 budget, but you get quite a bit more:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA9SE6M49821

It has a 4-core i7 CPU, 16 GB of RAM, a better graphics chip and a 17.3 inch screen. Not sure if you're more concerned with portability or prefer a 15.6 inch screen. I've never owned a Lenovo but from what I've heard they're pretty solid.

The Asus you mentioned would be good enough for casual use though, so it really just comes down to what you want to spend.

I own 8 Lenovos (at the moment ), including two, "Y" series IdeaPads. IdeaPads are good computers. Not too bad of a deal for that one, if it's new.

Last edited by Dragunov; 11-23-2017 at 8:44 PM..
Old 11-23-2017, 8:42 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
+1 for staying away from HP.

I've owned two HP 17" laptops over the years, both have failed around the 3 year mark (around that time the display will start to pixelate then go out).

I was a pain to deal with their customer service.

After the first laptop went down, they eventually replaced it (it was still under warranity, but took about 2 months of dealing with their customer service). After the second laptop went out, I swore off on them (their customer service said warranty did not cover the replacement laptop).

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 11-23-2017 at 8:45 PM..
Old 11-23-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
+1 for staying away from HP.

I've owned two HP 17" laptops over the years, both have failed around the 3 year mark (around that time the display will start to pixelate then go out).

I was a pain to deal with their customer service.

After the first laptop went down, they eventually replaced it (it was still under warranity, but took about 2 months of dealing with their customer service). After the second laptop went out, I swore off on them (their customer service said warranty did not cover the replacement laptop).
We had an HP Pavilion, DV7 "Entertainment" laptop. My wife bought it new in 2004, or 2005 (I suffer from CRS). It cost $2000 new. Worked great for years, and it still works well, but the screen, and CPU fan have been replaced twice due to deterioration, and malfunction. If I didn't know how to replace them, and not had the money to do it, it would've ended up in the trash in 2007. HP runs hot and cold on quality, depending on the year, unfortunately. Same for Dell, Acer, and other "consumer" brands.

My wife bought her HP15, touchscreen on the tail end of a good year for HP (December, 2015, 2016 was a "not so good" year). It does what it's supposed to do, the touchscreen is magnificent, but keeping the screws tight in the thing, the video bezel on it, the palm rest tight (as in, not popping apart from the base), and the numerical keypad working, is a bit of a feat. It has the build quality of a Yugo.

I wanted to buy her a new Lenovo, but she liked her old DV7, and wanted to stick with HP. So, I plopped down $379 + tax for it, and knew better than to purchase the warranty. I winced as the cashier took my hard earned Raputins, and stuck them into his register, BUT..... It's what she wanted, and even though it hasn't been a bad machine, I'm still paying for her misguided decision.

In 2002, Asus motherboards were the "Red Headed Step Child". I repaired or junked so many of them, that I called Asus, and really started heckling them about it. They eventually made big improvements, and are much better. Not the best, but one of them. For me? Reliability tells the tale, not "features".

When I became an official Microsoft refurbisher/builder in 2002, I had to deal with Dell a lot. At that time, they were the popular, "crappy" company. On many occasions, I had to call and scream at them, to get them to send me "restore" disks for my customers, as their "recovery" partition, was prone to failure. I spent WAAAY too much time on the phone with Dell CS.

To this day, I've had to work on so many Dell's, I do not wish to own one, unless it's one of their "Gamers", or very high end business machines. Never had a single, high end Dell, or Dell gamer, broken, and on my bench. Always their "consumer" class, or mid range computers.

IMHO, IDK if you remember them, but the Amiga had the best quality build of any computer, even to this day. You could throw an Amiga 4000 across the room, and it would still function properly. Shame they're not still around. They were WAY ahead of their time. Apple breathed a sigh of relief, when Commodore went belly up.

Last edited by Dragunov; 11-23-2017 at 11:23 PM..
Old 11-24-2017, 8:31 AM

OP, here's an awesome black Friday deal if you can buy one today. This one is a steal at this price, $799, and there's a promo code for an additional $30 off:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82e16834154230

Old 11-24-2017, 1:47 PM

Quote:
OP, here's an awesome black Friday deal if you can buy one today. This one is a steal at this price, $799, and there's a promo code for an additional $30 off:

That's not bad at all!
Old 11-24-2017, 2:26 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I was actually about to pull the trigger on that ASUS, but this looks like a much better gpu and the Asus is known for a short battery life, it’s at the top of my last now.

Quick question- is it any different from this one that appears to have the same specs but $20 cheaper with a $50 coupon code? 730 total?
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834154733

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-24-2017, 2:29 PM

The intel processors run slightly cooler than the amd and are a little better( so I hear from my amd make ting buddy) also if your doing photo editing your better of with A dedicated graphics card rather than an integrated one. I'd say the amd might be a little better deal, I have a touch screen on mine and probably use that feature once a month, a mouse is way easier.
Old 11-24-2017, 2:30 PM

Also something to look at is the charging port every laptop I've had except a toshiba has broken there and won't charge without pressure, I'm very rough on my stuff though
Old 11-24-2017, 2:41 PM

Quote:
I was actually about to pull the trigger on that ASUS, but this looks like a much better gpu and the Asus is known for a short battery life, it’s at the top of my last now.

Quick question- is it any different from this one that appears to have the same specs but $20 cheaper with a $50 coupon code? 730 total?
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16834154733
They look pretty much identical in specs to me. They're the same model number. I'd say get whichever one is a better deal.

Old 11-24-2017, 8:36 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Quote:
They look pretty much identical in specs to me. They're the same model number. I'd say get whichever one is a better deal.

Cool beans, just jumped on it. Got a $10 off instant code and a $50 mail in rebate so it came out to 720 plus tax. Thanks for the heads up and thanks for everyone’s input and opinions in this thread

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-24-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Cool beans, just jumped on it. Got a $10 off instant code and a $50 mail in rebate so it came out to 720 plus tax. Thanks for the heads up and thanks for everyone’s input and opinions in this thread
Excellent! Good choice! The MSI won't let you down. They're excellent computers, and have excellent cooling. Blow out the vents with canned air a couple times a year, keep it suspended from a surface, and don't manhandle it. That goes for any laptop though.

Don't forget the external HDD! This will save you a WORLD of grief down the road!.

Great computer, great choice!
Old 11-26-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Sweet deal, I'm sure it will serve you well. I'm waiting for my Predator to arrive, looking forward to putting it through the paces.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Sweet deal, I'm sure it will serve you well. I'm waiting for my Predator to arrive, looking forward to putting it through the paces.

If you can keep it unbiased, I'd appreciate a review from you.
Old 11-27-2017, 3:16 PM

Quote:
If you can keep it unbiased, I'd appreciate a review from you.
Yeah no problem, I can do that. I have no problem calling a spade a spade. I'm not an Acer fanboi by any means, but I've had good luck with Acer in the past, and I just got a heck of a good deal on a 17" Acer with an i7 6700HQ and 1070 GTX and 2 SSDs with an optical drive for $1290 shipped, so I jumped. I was going to wait for black Friday, but I didn't think there would be any deals that good, and I was right. If it wasn't for that, I was going to get an ASUS ROG 17" with an i7 7700HQ and 1060 GTX, but it didn't have an optical drive, and it still would have cost $1250, so for $40 more, I got some nice upgrades.

I have faith it will be a great computer, but I'll let you know what I think after I play with it for awhile.

Old 11-27-2017, 3:28 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Fedex delivered the laptop already!

now I just need to decide if i'll make her wait till christmas or just give it to her now and wrap up the box.

I already have an external harddrive that ill use to save and transfer all her pics and videos off the old laptop, then keep it around to occasioanally backup the new one. Also gotta download AVG or avast! then download and setup a new kodi build.

Also considering a VPN of some kind, maybe for my own pc as well. Anyone have experience with vpn subscriptions or lifetime purchases?

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-27-2017, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah no problem, I can do that. I have no problem calling a spade a spade. I'm not an Acer fanboi by any means, but I've had good luck with Acer in the past, and I just got a heck of a good deal on a 17" Acer with an i7 6700HQ and 1070 GTX and 2 SSDs with an optical drive for $1290 shipped, so I jumped. I was going to wait for black Friday, but I didn't think there would be any deals that good, and I was right. If it wasn't for that, I was going to get an ASUS ROG 17" with an i7 7700HQ and 1060 GTX, but it didn't have an optical drive, and it still would have cost $1250, so for $40 more, I got some nice upgrades.

I have faith it will be a great computer, but I'll let you know what I think after I play with it for awhile.

That would be great! I like reading peoples reviews. I've done a little research, and it seems that Acer just might be stepping up their game a little. That would be a good thing.

I would tell her I got her the gift, and ask if she wants it now, or wants to wait. However, if she wants it now, expect to still buy her "something" for Christmas.

Better open it, and make sure it's not DOA though.... You never know. Just turn it on, don't set it up, unless you know exactly how she wants it.

Last edited by Dragunov; 11-27-2017 at 3:55 PM..