Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Official Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Official Events Booths, Gun Show Events and other Official occasions. (Limited Posting)

View Poll Results: Have you signed or donated or sent this to a friend?
HELL YES I HAVE! 654 97.18%
There is "NO" Option if you are California Shooter? Just get it DONE! 19 2.82%
Voters: 673. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin1991 View Post
"If they outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns" Guess many of us will become outlaws then cause i know most people wont turn over anything.
its going to be almost funny when 249 becomes law and they get like 10 guns turned in.
Old 08-09-2012, 1:46 PM
Veteran Member

I have two questions.

If (God forbid) SB249 becomes law, what impact does it have to registered "assault weapons" in the state? Is someone going to some looking for my two AR's?

Second, in all sincerity, it it passes, how do those who own bullet-buttoned guns legally retain them in this state in ANY sort of condition? Would plugging the gas tube be enough, effectively turning the rifle into a "pump action"?

The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.
Old 08-09-2012, 2:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
I have two questions.

If (God forbid) SB249 becomes law, what impact does it have to registered "assault weapons" in the state? Is someone going to some looking for my two AR's?

Second, in all sincerity, it it passes, how do those who own bullet-buttoned guns legally retain them in this state in ANY sort of condition? Would plugging the gas tube be enough, effectively turning the rifle into a "pump action"?
Go featureless.
Old 08-09-2012, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymoose View Post
Go featureless.
That would be a great solution, if we loose the fight.
And if Mr. Yee does not follow thru with his stated plan to make Off List Lowers illegal.

We clearly need to stay in the fight now and worry about dealing with the problems later.
Old 08-09-2012, 2:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjq View Post
It appears this bill will make it to law.
I'm not surprised. There are too many Yees and deLeons in the General Assembly that are power-drunk. Gov. Brown will certainly sign it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjq View Post
Liberals argue that "Assult" type weapons are for killing people and have no hunting value. Truthfully, I've never had a bear try to break into my home, so go figure. Truthfully, we have sat for too long. The libs have a major lead on us. It's going to take a big battle to win and I'll bet most gun owners will be too busy.
Not *this* Liberal. Your fight is my fight, because we all lose if this continued erosion of our rights continues. Besides, the Second Amendment is not, and never has been, about "hunting" or "sport". It's about Us, The People being able to defend ourselves from a tyrannical government. *THAT* is why it's important to maintain this right, and in California, claw it back from those we allowed to take it away from us.

Besides, if a bear tries to break into your home, a 12-gauge with slugs is probably a better idea than a typical AR-15 anyway.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:22 AM

So would this bill effect Ak's also? I own a Arsenal SGL-21-61 with a different style mag release so will this bill apply to that style of mag release also?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiremanUP View Post
So would this bill effect Ak's also? I own a Arsenal SGL-21-61 with a different style mag release so will this bill apply to that style of mag release also?
Let's see:

Semi Auto? Check.
Evil Features? Check.

Yep it applies. Get your friends and family active in the campaign to defeat SB249. It will be moving thru appropriations on Wednesday or Thursday of next week.
Old 08-11-2012, 3:00 PM

If Yee and DeLeon get their way and SB 249 passes wait until next year and the one after that................NONE of your guns will be safe from new laws because this is only the beginning. Newsom and Harris will vow to be the top dog in California and outlaw all guns, ammo, knives and anything that resembles a weapon. Don't think it can happen? Just wait and see. Now is the time to make huge donations to the NRA, CRPA, CCRKBA, 2ND Amendment Foundation and any other gun group that supports the 2ND Amendment.
Old 08-12-2012, 4:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymoose View Post
Go featureless.
Then down the road he will make a press conference saying "Now they are circumventing the spirit of the law with these modifications...yada yada blah blah..."

Then ban ban ban ban

HE WONT STOP!!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 2:40 PM

Just dropped a big stack of letters off at the post office
Old 08-13-2012, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal_Scientist View Post
Just dropped a big stack of letters off at the post office
That makes two of us.
Old 08-13-2012, 4:29 PM

Default This is a Smokescreen

When you contact the appropriate people, be sure and mention to them that we already have laws in this state prohibiting more than 10 round magazines. This is nothing more than a smokescreen by Mr. Yee to prohibit firearms strictly for their "appearance". Remember when the "assault weapons" discussion was going on it had nothing to do with true assault weapons, those weapons that are military grade fully automatic weapons. It had everything to do with appearance and these people in our state offices made their decisions based on that criteria. Most of them don't even know the difference between a bullet and a cartridge, let alone being able to distinguish between various types of firearms.
Let's shut this thing down with the power of our voices, our faxes and our e-mail's to them.
Old 08-13-2012, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
That makes two of us.
And another
Old 08-13-2012, 5:17 PM

Law enforcement also has a large voice to be heard in this matter as well as a personal stake as law abiding citizens, along with our fellow law abiding citizens.

I have made a request to our Deputy Sheriff's Association to submit correspondences on behalf of the "Association" and officers as a group.

If you are an LEO, I respectfully request that you contact your POA or DSA to correspond on behalf of your officers as well.

Last edited by oldironpants; 08-13-2012 at 5:35 PM..
Old 08-13-2012, 6:03 PM

I'm am thankful for those who do speak up.
http://www.turners.com/engage/events...niff_sb249.php

Before mods, and other goodies...
Old 08-13-2012, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
I'm am thankful for those who do speak up.
http://www.turners.com/engage/events...niff_sb249.php
Great letter and I whole heartedly agree and thank 'you', Mac. I hope that the "boots on the ground" join in on the concerted effort with a unified voice as well.
Old 08-13-2012, 6:58 PM

It was beautifully written, anyone with common sense should get it; wait, we are talking politicians, are we not…

This was did make me smile a bit knowing people in the LE community are speaking up as well.

Old 08-13-2012, 8:22 PM

I have written I have called. I have made the purchase.
If this passes who wants to march on Sacramento open carry with AR's?
You know just asking...
If we do nothing and it passes, then they will show up and want them back not even so much as a red cent for us being compliant to their rules.
If 5000 or more show up on the capitals door step and show them we are not going away, we are peaceful and we are not going to let them take them away, what message would you think that would send?
Old 08-13-2012, 8:54 PM

First we need to check the regulations and get the proper permits before we form rally
Old 08-13-2012, 8:59 PM

I really don't know how it would look to be out in the open with rifles like that; just screams for a bad time. Plus, what if they get confiscated? Is there open carry allowed in Sac?

Old 08-13-2012, 11:09 PM

Aside from fighting this law what are the plans to get Lee out of office? He and the others with like minds are the problem. I hear nothing about what is being done to get him out. Cmon surely there are some people out there to run against him? Surely there are some folks in LE, prosecutors, investigators etc who should look into this guy? The progressives will have investigators out the wazoo on someone who threatens their "stuff" why is it none of this is happening against a hardcore dem?

Where is CalGuns and the NRA as far as sponsoring/ backing people to run against these people?

Now we are left having to handle the fight where we should have people in office to do the fighting for us.
Old 08-14-2012, 8:50 AM

Called all the offices this morning. The interesting thing is that in asking them, they were all very familiar with the bill. Hopefully that means that a lot of us are calling.......
Old 08-14-2012, 9:33 AM

BMartini, I've been thinking about the same thing lately but not just Yee. I've been considering a billboard on the 101 north/south corridor (bay area) about a month before the elections and have it run for a month urging voters to vote OUT their democrat representative. I've already written one billboard agency asking for pricing. I was then going to ask this and some other non-firearms groups if they'd be interested in chipping in on a group effort towards a billboard. I'll keep you in mind if you're interested.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMartin1776 View Post

Where is CalGuns and the NRA as far as sponsoring/ backing people to run against these people?
NRA? In California? Nowhere to be seen. As far as I'm concerned they've thrown us under the bus except when they need us for fund raising to help the rest of the nation.

And I say this as a life member.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
NRA? In California? Nowhere to be seen. As far as I'm concerned they've thrown us under the bus except when they need us for fund raising to help the rest of the nation.

And I say this as a life member.
I didn't notice them too. That's why i did not renew my membership cause i don't know the benefits and if they will stand on my side if i needed them. But you will get a lot of spam/offer email from them for free. lols
Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 PM

I sent a total of 18 letters in the mail yesterday and today I will be burning up the phone lines. I have been sending emails and making phone calls for the last month.

Keep up the good fight folks, we might beat this thing after all.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 PM

Here's what I have been sending to every politician with an email address in CA... I added some of my own common sense to help them understand...

As you have never considered the overall impact and ineffectiveness of your proposal SB249.

I am writing you to urge you to join Riverside County Sheriff Stan Sniff, myself and hundreds of thousands of law abiding California citizen in opposing SB 249 which will be presented to the Appropriations Committee on August 16th 2012.

In the words of Sheriff Sniff:
"Even more critically, we should not be turning entire classes of citizen gun-owners from all walks of life, which made good-faith lawful rifle purchases over the past few years, into criminals."

A criminal with ANY gun is dangerous. California’s approach to ban things for law abiding gun owners has zero effect on gun crime, law abiding people don’t commit crimes. In fact law abiding gun owners free to carry actually have been proven to prevent crime.

Here’s the stupidity of California’s 10 round magazine law and now the bullet button ban you propose … think about this… a criminal with a bagful of revolvers (which you are never going to ban) has more firepower than any gun available to a civilian anywhere in the U.S. a bad guy could buy or steal a dozen .357 magnum 6 shooters (for the same price as a semi auto rifle or less), load them up, put them in a gym bag and have 72 rounds without reloading, (about as powerful as a .223 rifle) and can shoot 2 guns at a time.

Thank you for your time and attention.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 PM

My letters went into the mail this morning (to their district office if local and to sac if not).

I called all the sac numbers ~1:15pm today and didn't get one busy signal, not one "please hold"... They are no doubt getting many calls, but we need to have their phones jammed with calls. I'm concerned we don't have enough people calling.

EVERYONE CALL NOW
Old 08-14-2012, 12:42 PM

oops, didn't intend to post yet.

Please follow all the fax, email requests in the next couple of days.

On the NRA, I received a card yesterday from the NRA ILA about SB249 asking to contact you Senetor and Assembly member.

I like Calguns approach better. It would be nice if the NRA would align better with Calguns on these things and put on the card to go to calguns.com/sb249 and follow the instructions. It would have been more effective ans many NRA members don't frequent Calguns...
Old 08-14-2012, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCEnterprises View Post
My letters went into the mail this morning (to their district office if local and to sac if not).

I called all the sac numbers ~1:15pm today and didn't get one busy signal, not one "please hold"... They are no doubt getting many calls, but we need to have their phones jammed with calls. I'm concerned we don't have enough people calling.

EVERYONE CALL NOW
I called before noon and did not encounter one busy signal. There are few groups who are as strikingly apathetic as gun owners.
Old 08-14-2012, 4:20 PM

I signed and donated when this issue first came up. I have not kept up with the latest on this.

Can someone give me a cliff notes version of what has happened and the process. The sb249 website states there was a 7-2 vote against it but I'm reading it is going to pass?

Fill me in so I can pass this on to others who don't check the forums daily.

Thanks

Informative Reviews
Old 08-14-2012, 5:08 PM

Isn't the vote tomorrow?

EDIT: nevermind, it's the 16th!!! My bday... not going to happen..

Last edited by Mac7504; 08-14-2012 at 5:11 PM..
Old 08-14-2012, 9:02 PM

Well.. I have been writing all the area chief's of police and several county sheriffs encouraging them to stand up against SB249.. Be sure to write your police and sheriff departments, your mayor and other officials along with your senators.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
That's what I'm hearing too. Everybody is getting real subversive.
good, maybe then this state will realize that trying to take guns from hundreds of thousands of people who arnt going to give them up isnt the smartest thing.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
I signed and donated when this issue first came up. I have not kept up with the latest on this.

Can someone give me a cliff notes version of what has happened and the process. The sb249 website states there was a 7-2 vote against it but I'm reading it is going to pass?

Fill me in so I can pass this on to others who don't check the forums daily.

Thanks
Go here: http://www.calguns.net/249/
There's an action for each of us to follow each day
All their phone and fax numbers, mailing addresses...
CALL CALL CALL The appropriations committee vote is Thursday.
Follow the advice and be nice, but they need to know we won't sit quietly by for this.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:55 PM

Thanks for the link.

I guess what I would like to know is what happens after the Appropriations Committe vote?

I found this which might help others as well:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/guide.html#Appendix_A

Overview of Legislative Process

The process of government by which bills are considered and laws enacted by the California State Legislature is commonly referred to as the legislative process. The California State Legislature is made up of two houses: the Senate and the Assembly. There are 40 Senators and 80 Assembly Members representing the people of the State of California. The Legislature maintains a legislative calendar governing the introduction and processing of the legislative measures during its two-year regular session.

Idea
All legislation begins as an idea or concept. Ideas and concepts can come from a variety of sources. The process begins when a Senator or Assembly Member decides to author a bill.

The Author
A legislator sends the idea for the bill to the Office of the Legislative Counsel, where it is drafted into bill form. The draft of the bill is returned to the legislator for introduction. If the author is a Senator, the bill is introduced in the Senate. If the author is an Assembly Member, the bill is introduced in the Assembly.

First Reading/Introduction
A bill is introduced or read the first time when the bill number, the name of the author, and the descriptive title of the bill are read on the floor of the house. The bill is then sent to the Office of State Publishing. No bill except the Budget Bill may be acted upon until 30 days have passed from the date of its introduction.

Committee Hearings
After introduction, a bill goes to the rules committee of the house, where it is a assigned to the appropriate policy committee for its first hearing. Bills are assigned to policy committees according to subject area. For example, a Senate bill dealing with health care facilities would first be assigned to the Senate Health and Human Services Committee for policy review. Bills that require the expenditure of funds must also be heard in the fiscal committees, Senate Appropriations and Assembly Appropriations. Each committee is made up of a specified number of Senators or Assembly Members.

During the committee hearing the author presents the bill to the committee, and testimony may be heard in support or opposition to the bill. The committee then votes on whether to pass the bill out of committee, or that it be passed as amended. Bills may be amended several times. It takes a majority vote of the committee membership for a bill to be passed and sent to the next committee or to the floor.

Each house maintains a schedule of legislative committee hearings. Prior to a bill's hearing, a bill analysis is prepared that explains the intended effect of the bill on current law, together with background information. Typically the analysis also lists organizations that support or oppose the bill.

Second and Third Reading
Bills passed by committees are read a second time on the floor in the house of origin and then assigned to third reading. Bill analyses are also prepared prior to third reading. When a bill is read the third time it is explained by the author, discussed by the Members, and voted on by a roll call vote. Bills that require an appropriation, or that take effect immediately, ordinarily require 27 votes in the Senate and 54 votes in the Assembly to be passed. Other bills generally require 21 votes in the Senate and 41 votes in the Assembly. If a bill is defeated, the Member may seek reconsideration and another vote.

Repeat Process in Other House
Once the bill has been approved by the house of origin it proceeds to the other house where the procedure described above is repeated.

Resolution of Differences
If a bill is amended in the second house, it must go back to the house of origin for concurrence, meaning agreement on those amendments. If the house of origin does not concur in those amendments, the bill is referred to a two-house conference committee to resolve the differences. Three members of the committee are from the Senate and three are from the Assembly. If a compromise is reached, the bill is returned to both houses for a vote.

Governor
If both houses approve a bill, it goes to the Governor. The Governor has three choices: sign the bill into law, allow it to become law without his or her signature, or veto it. A governor's veto can be overridden by a two-thirds vote in both houses. Most enacted bills go into effect on the first day of January of the next year. Urgency bills, and certain other measures, take effect immediately after they are enacted into law.

California Law
Each bill that is passed by the Legislature and approved by the Governor is assigned a chapter number by the Secretary of State. These chaptered bills are statutes, and ordinarily become part of the California Codes. The California Codes are a comprehensive collection of laws grouped by subject matter.

The California Constitution sets forth the fundamental laws by which the State of California is governed. All amendments to the California Constitution come about as a result of constitutional amendments approved by the voters at a statewide election.

Informative Reviews

Last edited by jetspeedz; 08-15-2012 at 12:58 AM..
Old 08-15-2012, 4:58 AM

You can always tell who the cowards are. Hmmmm, high volume of email, go figure. That's alright Nancy, you got a call and a fax as well.
Quote:
THIS ACCOUNT NO LONGER RECEIVES E-MAIL.

Thank you for contacting AD14 Assemblymember Nancy Skinner. Due to the high volume of e-mails this is an automatic response to guide you so that your inquiry is directed appropriately....
When I called Cedillo's office yesterday, his phone lackey was clearly disgusted when I informed him I was representing a deputy sheriff's association that was unanimously opposed to SB249. His voice dripped with disdain.

Guess we done good!
Old 08-15-2012, 9:51 AM

Default Sacramento Sheriff Jones opposes SB249

I sent a letter to Sacramento Sheriff Jones yesterday, this is his office's response.

"Sheriff Jones opposes SB249, and like Sheriff Sniff he authored a letter stating so.

Best to you,

Lanette McKinley

Office of the Sheriff"
Old 08-15-2012, 11:00 AM

I sent out 30 emails to the people in Sacramento and also notified my local range owner and friends and urged them to do the same.

cheers

Informative Reviews
Old 08-15-2012, 11:50 AM

Can't believe sb1315 passed...smh

Hope Brown will VETO but probably not.