Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2017, 8:09 AM

Default Long range rifle training

I'm not sure if this is the correct location for this post. I live in San Diego, and I enjoy shooting uspsa pistol at Pala. I want to expand and have started learning about long range rifle 1000+ yards. I'm getting myself a Savage 338 Lapua for the holidays, scope, range finder, spotting scope, etc, etc. I am looking for a good instruction school or group that helps people learn long range shooting. I'm reading as much as I can every day and watching countless YouTube videos to absorb as much knowledge as possible. I do have a reloading background and I'm prior enlisted USMC so I have some 7.62 shooting experience and 5.56. Just looking for a point in the right direction for a novice to learn. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2017, 8:43 AM

Gunfighter Tactical is having a seminar with maxordinate.com. You can go to gunfighter tactical's facebook for more info.
Old 11-29-2017, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjv View Post
Gunfighter Tactical is having a seminar with maxordinate.com. You can go to gunfighter tactical's facebook for more info.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll check it out.

Old 11-29-2017, 9:00 AM

Gunsite Academy, if you are serious, have the time, $$, and can make the drive. For that venue, a quality .308 (or other suitable round) will get you going. The .338 is a whole lot of cartridge and expense for a beginner; while it is no doubt much more capable than the .308 (or other suitable rounds), you can learn the critical skills needed to get hits at long range with something that co$ts les, kicks less, and is generally easier to shoot.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:05 PM

I've got a question for scopes. What is the difference between this 100 dollar scope and this 1500 dollar scope. The magnification are similar for both. Looking to be shooting 1000 yards plus. Is the 100 dollar scope going to break after 10 shots. My plan was to buy the 1500 scope but just wondering what the difference is for people that are experienced here.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:13 PM

the magnification may be the same, but the cheap scope will have an image that is dark and hazy. Your higher end scopes have images that are bright and crisp; they also will hold zero after firing.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike350GT View Post
the magnification may be the same, but the cheap scope will have an image that is dark and hazy. Your higher end scopes have images that are bright and crisp; they also will hold zero after firing.
Thanks, that helps. I knew it was too good to be true. You get what you pay for.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:29 PM

take a look at Vortex Optics. They aren't the cheapest, but they aren't the most expensive either. You get a lot for your dollar. Plus they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
take a look at Vortex Optics. They aren't the cheapest, but they aren't the most expensive either. You get a lot for your dollar. Plus they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty.
For long range shooting the Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 series are a very sturdy optic with excellent optical qualities and plenty of internal adjustment for a very good price. While they are on the heavier side, they are plenty sturdy. I have one mounted on a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5CM, and it has proven excellent.

Your question about optics however suggests to me that your time and $$ would be better served by first seeking out some long range Rifle events and matches to observe and learn from those already heavily invested in equipment and practice; go and see what others with experience are using before shelling out thousands of dollar$. And yes, generally you get what you pay for. Cheap glass isn't worth the cost of shipping.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That Bushnell also has a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Its built like a tank, 34mm tube, coated optics, first focal plane reticle, .1mil turrets with 10mils per revolution, and a zero stop.

I just bought one, but its a couple hundred cheaper at Opticsplanet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 12-03-2017, 1:40 PM

I went to the scope class at Gunfighter last year, it was really good. Tyler (instructor for Max Ordinate) really knows his stuff about scopes and shooting in general. I had been shooting for a while, and I although I knew how the scope worked, I didn't the technical details behind it all. They are doing it again pretty soon at Gunfighter. If you have the time I suggest you stop by and check it out.

In fact, after I took the scope class I ended up taking their intro class to precision rifle. Had a total blast, what's cool is their range is up near Apple Valley so its not too far. I know they do another class with tripod shooting which looks super fun, hope to take that class sometime soon.
Old 12-05-2017, 7:50 PM

How do i find a list of the trainings if i do not have facebook
Old 12-06-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnative13 View Post
How do i find a list of the trainings if i do not have facebook
Call gunfighter. The class is tonight at 6pm.
Old 12-08-2017, 6:01 AM

Looks like i missed it.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:42 AM

I went to the scope class at gun fighter on Miramar Rd, the instructor was great and the shop was well stocked. Alot of good information. they mentioned some good classes. I got all my gear and toys, now im going to Pala this upcoming Monday for some rec shooing on the long range line. Anyone know of anyone that does any private lessons to help with fundamentals, shooting position, using the data book, just general newbie kind of stuff. For a few hours so that I can use my time there wisely.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:00 AM

There are lots of rifle classes to get you dialed in on your platform and then at the end of the year there are Longe Range Classes out to 1250 yds.

There is also a long range scenario class Saturday

www.FTATV.com
Old 12-14-2017, 11:27 AM

I cant believe you just tried to compare a $1600 scope to a $70 scope.

Do more research online and look up articles that argue that the money spent on glass can be more important than the money spent on the rifle. The arguments are sound.

Personally, I normally do a 1:1 cost, at least, but the $$ spent usually weights heavier on the scope.

I suggest you read the following as a place to start:
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/0...opes-pros-use/
Old 12-14-2017, 11:47 AM

i bought the Bushnell HDMR, its awesome. thanks for the constructive feedback. and thanks for some info about classes. im still looking for some one on one instruction at the range at pala if anyone knows anyone that does that as a profession or as a hobby. thanks again.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Carlsbad View Post
i bought the Bushnell HDMR, its awesome. thanks for the constructive feedback. and thanks for some info about classes. im still looking for some one on one instruction at the range at pala if anyone knows anyone that does that as a profession or as a hobby. thanks again.
The long range classes at FTA are capped at 8 people with 2-3 instructors on private land so its pretty damn close to 1 on 1...