Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2017, 12:38 PM

Default SDSU gun free zone question

I gave my Daughter a 1911 for her 18th birthday, at the time she was living in the SDSU dorms so obviously she could not take the gun home. This year she moved off campus and would like to bring her pistol home but her apartment is still fairly close to campus. We are having trouble determining where the GFZ ends around the campus and calls to the Sheriff and PD have not been helpful. Does anybody have any GFZ maps of the area surrounding SDSU or know of somewhere we can check?
Old 11-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

GFSZ - 1000 foot zone - applies only to K-12 schools. A handgun, unloaded in a locked case, is legal to have and move through one of those GFSZs.

Actual SDSU property would be the issue.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-26-2017, 3:53 PM

As far as I know, once you're off what is considered part of the campus property, should be fine from there. Possibly call SDSU Police and see if they know? Never had this issue since I've lived off campus far away.
Old 11-26-2017, 5:30 PM

Once she crosses College or Montezuma she is off campus.
Old 11-26-2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
GFSZ - 1000 foot zone - applies only to K-12 schools. A handgun, unloaded in a locked case, is legal to have and move through one of those GFSZs.

Actual SDSU property would be the issue.

OP - see CPC 626.9, especially subparts (h) and (i).

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ctionNum=626.9.

Iíve always been wary of (c)(2) and so I would never bring a firearm in a locked container onto a K-12 campus. Am I being overly cautious?

Relevant to OPís inquiry, (h) and (i) prohibit bringing a firearm onto any other (ie, college) campus. And in my reading, aside from the written permission exemption (and the various other miscellaneous exemptions described, none of which I qualify for), I cannot bring a firearm onto a college campus in a locked container. Am I being overly cautious?

The subpart (n) - a shooting range on campus - is an interesting special case. My current understanding is that I cannot transport the firearm from the entrance of the campus to the shooting range, absent the written permission available in sunpart (i). Am I being overly cautious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2017, 6:37 AM

I believe the college campus portion of the gun free school zone law requires clear marking of the college property, unlike k-12 where you are just expected to know.
Old 11-27-2017, 9:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Buy her some pepper spray. SDSU does not like firearms and the people that do. It is also a very dangerous campus for a woman, rapes occur almost daily there.

I'd transfer to USD.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:12 AM

As an employee, the official by line I must pass on is that it is illegal to have a firearm anywhere on campus/dorms without a CCW and Permission from the CSU system.

Note this includes Parking lots, Structures, and the campus square area on the east side of campus (owned by SDSU AS)

This also includes any OFF-site facility rented/owned by SDSU as well.

I know this because I got into a little tiff with the Campus Police chief.

Unofficially, if you are at my office (on the 15 Ac. I manage) in the middle of CNF. You are welcome to carry. I do have large predators in the area, as well as some good hunting spots.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
I believe the college campus portion of the gun free school zone law requires clear marking of the college property, unlike k-12 where you are just expected to know.

You believe wrongly.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Buy her some pepper spray. SDSU does not like firearms and the people that do. It is also a very dangerous campus for a woman, rapes occur almost daily there.

I'd transfer to USD.
I would say SDSU is no more "dangerous" than any other large university campus and they don't have rapes occurring "almost daily" there.
Old 11-27-2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpull View Post
You believe wrongly.

PC 626.9
(h) Notwithstanding Section 25605, any person who brings or possesses a loaded firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or buildings owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research, or administration by, a public or private university or college, that are contiguous or are clearly marked university property
Old 11-27-2017, 5:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
PC 626.9
(h) Notwithstanding Section 25605, any person who brings or possesses a loaded firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or buildings owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research, or administration by, a public or private university or college, that are contiguous or are clearly marked university property
One does need to quote a bit more:
Quote:
(h) Notwithstanding Section 25605, any person who brings or possesses a loaded firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or buildings owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research, or administration by, a public or private university or college, that are contiguous or are clearly marked university property, unless it is with the written permission of the university or college president, his or her designee, or equivalent university or college authority, shall be punished by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for two, three, or four years. Notwithstanding subdivision (k), a university or college shall post a prominent notice at primary entrances on noncontiguous property stating that firearms are prohibited on that property pursuant to this subdivision.

(i) Notwithstanding Section 25605, any person who brings or possesses a firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or buildings owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research, or administration by, a public or private university or college, that are contiguous or are clearly marked university property, unless it is with the written permission of the university or college president, his or her designee, or equivalent university or college authority, shall be punished by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for one, two, or three years. Notwithstanding subdivision (k), a university or college shall post a prominent notice at primary entrances on noncontiguous property stating that firearms are prohibited on that property pursuant to this subdivision.

(k) This section does not require that notice be posted regarding the proscribed conduct.
So the statement in question was
Quote:
and 626.9(k) says "no".

(h) and (i) suggest it might be difficult to successfully prosecute unless notice is given.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

Old 11-27-2017, 6:14 PM

More grey zone....
Old 11-28-2017, 10:40 AM

Can an 18 year old own a pistol? I thought it was 21? Not that I'm real picky on laws and all... just asking.

Next, I'd be super nervous about the gun being seen by another kid or worse stolen. The last thing I want is some yahoo running around town with one of my guns.

Lastly, my daughter went through her final two years of nursing school in OAKLAND. She survived without any issues that I know of.

Well, one more thing. At the young age of 18 it would be a shame if your daughter was found guilty of some kind of firearm violation. Things like that can come back to haunt you later in life when you need to pass a background check for a job. When I worked at an airline, we had to be finger printed and pass a 10 year background check. When the program first started after 9/11 there were a couple guys who lost their jobs for things that happened years before.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromech View Post
Can an 18 year old own a pistol? I thought it was 21? Not that I'm real picky on laws and all... just asking.
Yes.

Has to be via intrafamilial transfer, because it's illegal for an FFL to transfer a handgun to under 21. And, it's illegal to sell handgun ammo to under-21, so the young gun owner will be dependent on others for that.

Old 11-28-2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
it's illegal to sell handgun ammo to under-21.

Define handgun ammo.

I am in no way poking at you sir, but the line has been blurred by PCC/AR pistol.
Old 11-28-2017, 5:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Define handgun ammo.

I am in no way poking at you sir, but the line has been blurred by PCC/AR pistol.
Oh, yes - just ask any Walmart sales-droid. Is this 9mm for my Glock or my Ruger Camp Carbine or my 9mm AR-type? Is this .22 for my Buckmark or my Marlin bolt-action rifle?

And of course there was the court-stopped attempt to define that a couple years ago, based on the practical impossibility to make that definition work.