Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2017, 10:36 AM

Default I need to make a will

I need to make a will.

This will be about as simple as it gets. I will be leaving everything to my wife, so I don't need a team of superstar lawyers at $500 each per hour, just a simple, valid document to make her life even better after I die!!! What a pleasant thought!!!

I'm thinking there is a painless and reasonably priced route to take here, but I am too confused and distracted to find it.

Can anyone help me out here?!?!
Old 09-18-2017, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khromo View Post
I need to make a will.

This will be about as simple as it gets. I will be leaving everything to my wife, so I don't need a team of superstar lawyers at $500 each per hour, just a simple, valid document to make her life even better after I die!!! What a pleasant thought!!!

I'm thinking there is a painless and reasonably priced route to take here, but I am too confused and distracted to find it.

Can anyone help me out here?!?!
https://www.legalzoom.com/sem/ep/liv...CAAEgKPYvD_BwE

You should consider a living trust. It avoids probate time and costs. There are other DYI living trusts you may also want to look at.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

+1 on TRUST, much better IMHO.

And about as simple for the executor of trust, in this case your wife (primary).

However if you both go in some freak auto crash you can have alternate choice. (NRA/grandson, anyone) & no probate issues, this is by far the best part.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

+1 on TRUST, much better IMHO.

And about as simple for the executor of trust, in this case your wife (primary).

However if you both go in some freak auto crash you can have alternate choice. (NRA/grandson, anyone) & no probate issues, this is by far the best part.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'll double what Dano said twice.
Old 09-19-2017, 6:56 PM

Read http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...0&lawCode=PROB

And then fill out the form at
http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/d.../Will-Form.pdf
Old 09-20-2017, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

We've had a living trust with these people for 20+ years never a problem
http://financialplannersandiego.com ask for Brian White.

Heritage Tax & Insurance Services, Inc.
2650 Camino Del Rio N. #350
San Diego, CA 92108

Old 09-20-2017, 7:35 PM
Calguns Addict

It's really this simple...you can decide if you would prefer to pay 8% of your entire estate to the federal government when you die or if you'd prefer to pay what is likely substantially less to an attorney now to create a trust. Choose wisely.

A will doesn't keep you out of Probate...which can also be a lengthy and stressful process on your loved ones when they are grieving. Not to mention the 8%. A trust does and you keep the 8%...but have to pay about t $1800 to an attorney to write the trust for you. It is money incredibly well spent but that is just my personal opinion.

With a trust you also get power of attorney, durable power of attorney for healthcare, Hippa forms, Healthcare directives, etc. These can be invaluable in the event you become incapacitated.

Fighter Pilot

Last edited by L84CABO; 09-21-2017 at 8:38 PM..
Old 09-20-2017, 8:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Will & Trust with a reputable lawyer is $1,200 (in SoCal). Don't be cheap about it. Even if you think your will is simple and straightforward, things can change (especially with inheritance tax). Did mine about 10 years ago (when it cost $700) and in the process of revising it (more assets and beneficiaries). Hardest part of who gets what: Who gets which firearm (can't 'will' and AR in California).

Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day (Democrat).
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime (Republican).
Old 09-20-2017, 8:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwack44 View Post
Hardest part of who gets what: Who gets which firearm (can't 'will' and AR in California).
You can if it's featureless or not in an AW status...
Old 09-20-2017, 9:58 PM

If you have a will but not a trust, your estate is guaranteed to go into probate where it will get decimated by lawyers fees and take years to settle. Only a fool just does a will. A living trust is simple and easy and makes it so your wife gets everything and lawyers get nothing.

There isn't a lawyer alive that doesn't have a living trust.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 09-21-2017, 4:56 PM

I greatly appreciate all the sound advice you folks have taken the time to give me. I truly appreciate it!!!

I went ahead and talked to a lawyer last night, but he wanted $1,800, and that sounds like the high side, so I am going to check out some of the other leads you folks have provided and see if I can save a few bucks.

I hope you all have some good luck for having helped me out! Maybe some day I can return the favor!
Old 09-21-2017, 5:03 PM
Calguns Addict

If you go with a trust, make sure that it is a good one. A friend's MIL passed and it turns out that the trust was a cookie cutter one and it ceased to exist when her husband died, but she did not know that. It is now taking a lot of time and money to get things cleared up and in the meantime, they can't sell her house or do much of anything with it. The lawyer said that it could take up to a year to get everything cleared up.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 10-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khromo View Post
I greatly appreciate all the sound advice you folks have taken the time to give me. I truly appreciate it!!!

I went ahead and talked to a lawyer last night, but he wanted $1,800, and that sounds like the high side, so I am going to check out some of the other leads you folks have provided and see if I can save a few bucks.

I hope you all have some good luck for having helped me out! Maybe some day I can return the favor!

The actual trust documents are usually straight forward assuming all you’re trying to do is avoid probate. If you have significant assets, there is a fair amount of paperwork and filings to get these into the trust (deeds etc). If you’re setting up a trust to cover both you and your wife, usually this results in an A B trust, (with successor trustees and beneficiaries) designed to minimize or eliminate estate taxes to your non spousal heirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2017, 11:04 AM

Thanks, Blade!

No kids, and everything will go to my wife, so it is good for me to know these things going in.

I've spoken to a few local attorneys, and they are all asking close to two grand for a personal residence and a few bank accounts, so I am reaching out to local folks for leads on local attorneys who will charge an amount closer to how simple this situation really is.
Old 10-04-2017, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

PM sent
Old 10-04-2017, 8:18 PM

Thanks, Blade! I will check it out!
Old 10-04-2017, 8:47 PM
Veteran Member

Depending on the amount of your assets, you may not need something as complicated as an A/B trust. This is an older and complicated version of a Trust. Now, they are usually pretty straightforward.

When you set it up, remember, name Successor Trustees in case you and your wife go at the same time. You need to designate that person with the authority to take care and handle your estate/financial matters. Remember, this isn't just about who gets your guns after you're gone. It's to help any friends/relatives who would be overseeing your finances. It gives them the authority to make payments, close accounts etc. This is also handy in case you both are still alive and need someone to act on your behalf (you're both in a coma/unconscious). Who has say over whether they keep you alive/vegetative state or pull the plug? I recently had to go thru this with my dad.

As a side note for anyone else who is named as a Trustee/Co-Trustee/Successor Trustee or a Health Care Agent, keep a copy of the documents on your phone either in pdf or in photo form. This way, you can intercede if you need it asap to carry out the wishes of your family/loved ones. It sucks to go thru the stress of seeing one on their death bed and not have access to paperwork to give to hospital staff.

My 2 cents.

Hope you get it ironed out quickly and inexpensively. But, remember, there are lawyers involved, so it won't be either of those things. Check yelp for reviews.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)