Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-21-2010, 3:43 PM

My 795 has problems also.
Seems that the chamber is too small.
I can only extract a live round with one type of ammo. It goes in snug but can be extracted.
Other ammo goes in tight and if it doesn't fire I need to use a small screw driver to pry it out.

Eventually the chamber will wear and it will accept all ammo but that will take many thousands of rounds.

I think the fix is to send it back to Marlin or get a .22lr chamber reamer and do it your self.

It's only 1 or 2 thousandths too small but that's all it takes.

On the other hand when it works right it's super accurate.

pg
Old 01-21-2010, 3:49 PM

the only time i get a jam is when the shell is on its way out, ^^^ like the post above the shell gets caught with the new bullet already in the chamber. i have to use my car key to pull it out. i also found it to jam much less when i used alot less oil. i use 4 drops of break free and spread it all around with my finger.
Old 01-22-2010, 4:48 PM

so my 795 is having some problems. I took it shooting last weekend and my friends and I could not hit where we were aiming. seemed to be shooting too low. could someone help me diagnose this problem?
Old 01-22-2010, 5:58 PM
Veteran Member

Red Dot adjustments? Scope base and/or rings secure? Open sight elevation? Peep sight elevation? Front blade height? What ammo? What advertised velocity from ammo? Standard Velocity? Hi-speed? Target distance? Sighting in distance? Offhhand or benchrest? Buttstock firmly planted on shoulder? Stock assembled so that barrel is not making unnecessary contact? Rainy/Windy?

Need more info.

Single fin mentality
Old 01-22-2010, 6:14 PM

oh the standard irons and im using federal bulk ammo 36gr 1260fps and i was shooting at 50yrds bench rest. firms against shoulder and there was some rain.

i just noticed that you can adjust the rear sight and my friend just told me he was messing around with it. what notch should i put it at?

edit: how do i check if the barrel isnt making any unnecessary contact

Last edited by Stormtrooperthunder; 01-22-2010 at 6:32 PM..
Old 01-22-2010, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

If it is a typical, inexpensive Buckhorn style rear leaf sight, setting it to a higher notch will make the rifle shoot aim higher.

Read this:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=1506070

With your plastic stock it probably is not making unnecessary contact, I'd guess.

Single fin mentality

Last edited by otteray; 01-22-2010 at 8:10 PM..
Old 01-24-2010, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I picked up my Marlin 795 yesterday, field stripped it, and cleaned out all the grease. The internals got a light coat of CLP. I didn't touch any of the "E-clips" so reassembly was a breeze. Then I couldn't resist anymore, so I checked the mag-well and the chamber, then tested the trigger to see how it was. Nothing. So I checked the safety and it was off. Still nothing.

So I figured I must have messed up and field stripped it again. After playing with the FCG for awhile, I finally figured out there is a magazine disconnect that does not allow the gun to fire without a magazine inserted, kinda like a BHP. I remember thinking to myself "Thank God nobody was around to see me make a fool of myself. . . " So I get the thing back together and dry-fire it. I know you aren't supposed to dry-fire a rimfire, but I couldn't resist it just once . Anyways, it was long and heavy, but it broke clean. Besides, I own a couple of Mosin Nagants, so I've worked with less.

So today I was at Angeles Shooting Range to test out my handy little Marlin, as well as check zero on a few hunting rifles. Well, I am happy to report that there was no drama; the Marlin ate up 333 rounds (one box) of Winchester 36 grain HP and 106 rounds of Federal 40 grain solids without any issues whatsoever. I didn't shoot for groups since I was kinda busy with my centerfire rifles but I did confirm that the stock iron sights had me shooting about one inch to the right at 25 yards. I figure when I get around to mounting a scope on it, I'll dedicate some time to putting it on paper and really seeing what it can do.

It was fun blazing away at steel targets and the gun kept up with me the whole time. It's not a finely crafted work of art (the barrel seemed like the most high quality part) but it got the job done and at a very good price. I am happy with my purchase and look forward to getting years of good service from the little blaster. Thanks for reading.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 PM

went to to range and zeroed in my scope, but in the process i cut my thumb up pretty badly while loading the magazine.

so im wondering, would this work with the 795 magazine?
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...px?sku=GNS-127

thanks in advance
Old 01-24-2010, 11:10 PM

Nope! That's only for the Ruger MK series, and I think the browning buckmarks.

You will have to get used to loading the mags.

To lessen your chances of cutting your thumbs, buy more mags! I have 3 now, and it definitely helps with not having to reload the mags as often.
Old 01-25-2010, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, loading the magazines suck. When I told my shooting buddy I shot the entire bulk pack of Winchester .22lr, the first thing he said was "What? You loaded the magazines that many times?" Thumb is a bit sore, but I am still happy with my new rifle.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooperthunder View Post
went to to range and zeroed in my scope, but in the process i cut my thumb up pretty badly while loading the magazine.

so im wondering, would this work with the 795 magazine?
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...px?sku=GNS-127

thanks in advance
Tore my thumb up pretty good at my last appleseed shoot, wanna get one of these when they are available. There is a video clip at the bottom of the page.

BabyUpLULA
http://maglula.tripod.com/BabyUpLULA.htm

Last edited by Gillis; 01-25-2010 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: you tube problem
Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle Bailey View Post
Well, I picked up my Marlin 795 yesterday, field stripped it, and cleaned out all the grease. The internals got a light coat of CLP. I didn't touch any of the "E-clips" so reassembly was a breeze. Then I couldn't resist anymore, so I checked the mag-well and the chamber, then tested the trigger to see how it was. Nothing. So I checked the safety and it was off. Still nothing.

So I figured I must have messed up and field stripped it again. After playing with the FCG for awhile, I finally figured out there is a magazine disconnect that does not allow the gun to fire without a magazine inserted, kinda like a BHP. I remember thinking to myself "Thank God nobody was around to see me make a fool of myself. . . " So I get the thing back together and dry-fire it. I know you aren't supposed to dry-fire a rimfire, but I couldn't resist it just once . Anyways, it was long and heavy, but it broke clean. Besides, I own a couple of Mosin Nagants, so I've worked with less.

So today I was at Angeles Shooting Range to test out my handy little Marlin, as well as check zero on a few hunting rifles. Well, I am happy to report that there was no drama; the Marlin ate up 333 rounds (one box) of Winchester 36 grain HP and 106 rounds of Federal 40 grain solids without any issues whatsoever. I didn't shoot for groups since I was kinda busy with my centerfire rifles but I did confirm that the stock iron sights had me shooting about one inch to the right at 25 yards. I figure when I get around to mounting a scope on it, I'll dedicate some time to putting it on paper and really seeing what it can do.

It was fun blazing away at steel targets and the gun kept up with me the whole time. It's not a finely crafted work of art (the barrel seemed like the most high quality part) but it got the job done and at a very good price. I am happy with my purchase and look forward to getting years of good service from the little blaster. Thanks for reading.

great im thinking about heading over to angeles crest right now
Old 01-26-2010, 1:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle Bailey View Post
It's not a finely crafted work of art (the barrel seemed like the most high quality part) but it got the job done and at a very good price.
yep.

The best thing Marlin going for them is the microgroove rimfire barrels.
Old 02-03-2010, 9:22 AM

Just got my 795 back from warranty service. I had a lot of failure to fire and failure to extract issues. I called Marlin headquarters, they told me to send it to J&G gunsmithing in Granite Bay, CA because they are authorized to do warranty work. It was turned around and back to me in a week. My chamber had to be refitted (too tight) and the bolt was adjusted because it wasn't closing all the way. I'll probably take it out next week and see if the problems are cleared up.

I know some of you out there have had similar issues, so if you have some time left on your 5 year warranty, give Marlin a call.

I wish the quality control was a little tighter at the factory, but I realize that they can't catch everything.

My one complaint is that it wasn't shipped back to me requiring a signature, and the UPS guy left it on my front porch. Arrrrrrrr......
Old 02-03-2010, 9:49 AM

My 2 are there now, they have the same problem as yours.
1 week turn around is pretty good. They told me 2 weeks and I took mine to them, no shipping.
pg
Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 AM
CGSSA Associate

Just joined the 795 club!

Shes out of jail on Valentines

Edit: Also - whats the deal on cleaning these things? the barrel is so small, can I just hose the whole (action / receiver / bolt / barrel ) thing down with break free and call it "done" ?
Old 02-04-2010, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillis View Post
Tore my thumb up pretty good at my last appleseed shoot, wanna get one of these when they are available. There is a video clip at the bottom of the page.

BabyUpLULA
http://maglula.tripod.com/BabyUpLULA.htm
I am buying that as soon as it hits the market. I love my 795 but after shooting through a few hundred rounds the thumbs do ache a bit. I love the upLULA for my pistol mags, so looking forward to this new product.
Old 02-05-2010, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
Just joined the 795 club!

Shes out of jail on Valentines

Edit: Also - whats the deal on cleaning these things? the barrel is so small, can I just hose the whole (action / receiver / bolt / barrel ) thing down with break free and call it "done" ?
That will pretty much do it. Every once in a while, it wouldn't hurt to strip it down and do a good cleaning, but .22s seem to be able to get a bit dirty and keep going. Oh, I also use a bore snake on mine and the barrel is nice and shiney! I know some people like the rod, but mine does not seem to mind just getting the snake!

Best of luck!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpw001 View Post
I am buying that as soon as it hits the market. I love my 795 but after shooting through a few hundred rounds the thumbs do ache a bit. I love the upLULA for my pistol mags, so looking forward to this new product.
I started bringing a pair of mechanics gloves to load the mags on my girlfriends 795, it really helps with the thumbs and makes it easier to load.

How to ID a real VLTOR EMOD versus a Replica
Old 02-11-2010, 9:29 PM

So I finally cleaned and oiled my Marlin 795 that I bought back on black friday lol. Yea I've been busy.

So looking at the stock sights, looks like Im not really going to want to bother with them straight from the get go.

Id prefer the scope be able to hold zero, crosshairs stay perpendicular and good clarity. It's mostly for plinking at the range 25-100yds max. Pretty much looking to be under $50

Any of you guys use these? Pretty much what Im looking at right now.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tasco-Pron...-Matte/5684954

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Barska-Pli...C10380/4634048

http://www.opticsplanet.net/simmons-...pe-510524.html
Old 02-11-2010, 10:36 PM

iron sights are horrible imo... the whole thing was off for me. I bought a cheap NC star (i believe) off of ebay, tried zeroing it without a benchtop and it was off pretty bad. I will properly zero tomorrow and hope to have some groupings i can show off :-). My rifle has 1,020 rounds through it so it's still fairly new.

Not the best scope, not the best rifle, not the best caliber but the most affordable setup at under $200.00 OTD.

**If i am missing a location or want to edit a location, PM me!**
Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 PM

Maybe I just got lucky, because I went through about 550 rounds of .22lr in 2 magazines in a few days and my thumbs were fine. Maybe I just have thick thumb skin???
Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawImpact View Post
iron sights are horrible imo... the whole thing was off for me. I bought a cheap NC star (i believe) off of ebay, tried zeroing it without a benchtop and it was off pretty bad. I will properly zero tomorrow and hope to have some groupings i can show off :-). My rifle has 1,020 rounds through it so it's still fairly new.

Not the best scope, not the best rifle, not the best caliber but the most affordable setup at under $200.00 OTD.
Yea they look like complete garbage. Id rather not even bother trying to sight it in with the stocks and then again with a scope. I'll just do it once with a scope lol.

I agree it's definitely affordable, got mine for $99 after the mail in rebate so im thrilled. Also mine wasnt really all that dirty out of the box like some here said.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboughton View Post
Maybe I just got lucky, because I went through about 550 rounds of .22lr in 2 magazines in a few days and my thumbs were fine. Maybe I just have thick thumb skin???
Mine are fine, and I have 3 mags, and have shot a few thousand rounds out of them so far.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:57 AM

Does anyone know why the manual says not to shoot hyper velocity round's?
Old 02-12-2010, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack View Post
That will pretty much do it. Every once in a while, it wouldn't hurt to strip it down and do a good cleaning, but .22s seem to be able to get a bit dirty and keep going. Oh, I also use a bore snake on mine and the barrel is nice and shiney! I know some people like the rod, but mine does not seem to mind just getting the snake!

Best of luck!
+1 for the bore snake.
Old 02-13-2010, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tech-1 View Post
So I finally cleaned and oiled my Marlin 795 that I bought back on black friday lol. Yea I've been busy.

So looking at the stock sights, looks like Im not really going to want to bother with them straight from the get go.

Id prefer the scope be able to hold zero, crosshairs stay perpendicular and good clarity. It's mostly for plinking at the range 25-100yds max. Pretty much looking to be under $50

Any of you guys use these? Pretty much what Im looking at right now.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tasco-Pron...-Matte/5684954

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Barska-Pli...C10380/4634048

http://www.opticsplanet.net/simmons-...pe-510524.html
Anybody?
Old 02-13-2010, 9:09 PM

They're under $95 at Sports Authority this weekend - after $25 mail in rebate. Only problem for me is a 140 mile round trip.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGI View Post
They're under $95 at Sports Authority this weekend - after $25 mail in rebate. Only problem for me is a 140 mile round trip.
I think this is gonna be an impulse buy for me. Do you know when this sale ends? Besides I don't have a 22lr in my collection.

Old 02-14-2010, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_land View Post
I think this is gonna be an impulse buy for me. Do you know when this sale ends? Besides I don't have a 22lr in my collection.
The ad in our paper here in OR says the deal is good through the 20th of Feb. Hope you are able to get one!
Old 02-17-2010, 9:45 PM

i notice that the bolt is wearing only one side of the receiver, you can only see this when the bolt is removed anybody else have this issue? or is it only me? i have a couple thousand rounds through it
Old 02-18-2010, 12:40 AM

Is it wearing off the black finish on the inside of the receiver? Mine is flaking off it seems. I figure keeping it oiled and clean should be fine.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:47 AM

^^ yea its wearing off the black but the weird thing is its only on one side only the other side has the full black coating. everytime i oil and clean mine it starts to jamm, i love to lube things too much
Old 02-22-2010, 11:36 AM

i'm in my 10-day wait period for my 795. can anyone recommend a decent affordable bag/case for my rifle?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian13 View Post
i'm in my 10-day wait period for my 795. can anyone recommend a decent affordable bag/case for my rifle?
I just went to turners and found one for $5. You should check big5 as well

"I don't know we made brownies. And I think we're dead. Time is going by really really really really slow."

-Former cop, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnZb5wi_jsU
Old 02-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Walmart has tons to pick from for $10 and $20... Atleast mine does..
Old 02-22-2010, 6:09 PM

+1 on Walmart. I found a nice Remington rifle bag for $10. Before that, I just kept it in rifle sleeve treated with silicone which worked fine too.
Old 02-22-2010, 6:28 PM

Any lefties have problems with ejected casings hitting your wrist?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afro View Post
Any lefties have problems with ejected casings hitting your wrist?
Nope! What ammo are you shooting? I mostly use CCI Mini/Blazer. Don't have any problems.
Old 02-23-2010, 9:46 AM

Been shooting Minimags. Every now and then one will hit my wrist. Doesn't hurt or anything.