Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-07-2018, 9:49 PM

Default Moving violation 50 days ago, not online, no mail

What obligation does a citation recipient have when the recipient has not received the fine letter and when the citation cannot be found on website under the citation number or the recipient’s last name?

Minor moving violation (1 point), first one in more than 20 years.

What happens if the record appears in 30-60 more days? Just an additional fine?
Old 07-07-2018, 9:52 PM
Calguns Addict

You signed a notice to appear. It has a date and time to appear - BE THERE.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
2nd.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:08 PM

Yes. Be there before the date. Find out what day they hold traffic court and talk to the clerk to be added on the doc.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:13 PM

Default Thanks!

It seemed too good to be true to ignore the citation. Recipient will go to court cashier with photocopy of citation and ask for fine amount.

Last edited by swift; 07-07-2018 at 10:28 PM..
Old 07-07-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift View Post
It seemed too good to be true to ignore the citation. Recipient will go to court cashier with photocopy of citation and ask for fine amount.
Down at the bottom of the citation near the promise to appear date/time there should be a number for the courthouse. Try calling the courthouse to obtain the information you seek and possibly save yourself a trip down to the courthouse. Also, they might be able to take your payment information over the phone.
Old 07-08-2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
And if they cannot find the citation; get proof from the court that you showed up and attempted to pay/contest/do whatever it was advised you do to clear the citation.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 07-08-2018, 3:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FTA is much worse than original cite.
Old 07-08-2018, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No, go to court on the assigned day, if your name or whoever got the cite's name is not on the calendar sit in court when they don't call the name, then you go to the clerk. Don't ask for the bail/fine amount, ask to have you name added now so that it can be dismissed. Do not automatically just volunteer to give them money, especially if they don't have the paperwork to prove you owe them. Someone dropped the ball, do what you agreed to do show up in court. The rest is the ball dropper's problem.

Last edited by P5Ret; 07-08-2018 at 3:58 PM..
Old 07-08-2018, 11:30 PM

About 6 years ago I got a rolling stop ticket in downtown SF by a motor cop. As soon as he finished giving me the ticket, he hurried back to his bike and zoomed off. I put my registration/insurance back in the glovebox and looked up just in time to see him slam his bike into the side of a vehicle making a left turn a block down.

I never got the ticket and I heard the officer had to medically retire.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigguy552 View Post
About 6 years ago I got a rolling stop ticket in downtown SF by a motor cop. As soon as he finished giving me the ticket, he hurried back to his bike and zoomed off. I put my registration/insurance back in the glovebox and looked up just in time to see him slam his bike into the side of a vehicle making a left turn a block down.

I never got the ticket and I heard the officer had to medically retire.
I figured you would maybe get ticket but if you contested it he would probably surely be a no show.

I'm sure happens sometimes when an accident, a screw up, or in extreme cases what you saw or a line of duty death. I'm not saying this to be a dick I'm just saying I assume when such things happens a lot of stuff gets thrown in disarray since the officer can't testify in court.

I knew a guy that would contest any type of ticket he got on the games of odds knowing sometimes the officer would be a no show in court. Once this worked for him but when he went out to his car someone had stolen his stereo which was more than the cost of the ticket would have been!

Life is weird sometimes. I remember a LASD deputy died like in the high desert in the middle of giving someone a ticket. Heart attack. That would freak me out if I was the one being ticketed I would not want to be there when responding officers showed up. I would immediately call 911 obviously and explain what was going on and keep my hands out the window or something until was sorted out.
Old 07-10-2018, 6:06 PM

Default Thanks for the advice

Thank you, LEOs. I will relay the info.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:50 AM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

"I would immediately call 911 obviously and explain what was going on and keep my hands out the window or something until was sorted out."

Or you could start compression with a breath every 6-8 seconds. Just a thought....
Old 07-14-2018, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike82 View Post
"I would immediately call 911 obviously and explain what was going on and keep my hands out the window or something until was sorted out."

Or you could start compression with a breath every 6-8 seconds. Just a thought....
I don't know CPR I'm sure most people don't. Who knows he may not have even realized it right away or in time and if on ground just thought he was in the patrol car and couldn't see him. Not sure if it happened next to the guy being ticketed or next to or in the patrol car.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:39 AM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

It's a great skill to have brother. The class isn't that long, and it's offered all over the place. You never know when you can save someone's life with it.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftinG Z32 View Post
Down at the bottom of the citation near the promise to appear date/time there should be a number for the courthouse. Try calling the courthouse to obtain the information you seek and possibly save yourself a trip down to the courthouse. Also, they might be able to take your payment information over the phone.
LA Sheriff’s tickets do not, since they have to cover 50+ courthouses across the county.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Old 07-23-2018, 7:41 PM

Default Thanks

Just a quick follow up- ticketed person appeared on the agreed upon date only to confirm the ticket was not filed. ‘they’ have a year to file, so the court provided a document proving the ticket recipient appeared.

Apparently this happens more frequently than I anticipated, as they had a printed pad of the appearance notes.