Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-13-2013, 8:08 AM

Default Should I or should I not?

My ccw initial is on the 23 should I take my training training 10/19 10/20 in anticipation? I have no reason to be denied because I am a lawful citizen. I usualy dont get weekends off and most courses offered are held on the weekends. If i remember correctly they only accept training that has been done in the last 30 days of initial or final appointment. Help.
Old 10-13-2013, 8:58 AM

Even if you don't get your CCW, the training will most likely be useful and make you a better shooter. I did mine before approval and everything worked out fine and I was glad I did it. One less delay and the training was useful regardless. Good luck!
Old 10-13-2013, 9:06 AM

How long do they honor the training after its done?
Old 10-13-2013, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL View Post
My ccw initial is on the 23 should I take my training training 10/19 10/20 in anticipation? I have no reason to be denied because I am a lawful citizen. I usualy dont get weekends off and most courses offered are held on the weekends. If i remember correctly they only accept training that has been done in the last 30 days of initial or final appointment. Help.
if your good to go why not? i did the same thing, except i went to my class after my appointment but before the approval. still waiting for doj.

but in large you will learn nothing in class. Its completely worthless if you know anything about guns.
Old 10-13-2013, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL View Post
How long do they honor the training after its done?
Pretty sure training can be well in advance of your initial/issue appointment. My approval letter said "...provide certification (within the past 2 years)... of a 16 hour training course".

If you change your mind on what guns you want listed after the initial training, you will have to requalify with them, another 4 hours and some more $$.

EDIT: I should add that I don't know that you can requalify in advance of your issue appointment with different guns, I didn't do it, but I'm not aware of any reason why it wouldn't work. You could always email SSD and verify.

Last edited by Jimmckingwood; 10-13-2013 at 9:19 AM..
Old 10-13-2013, 9:19 AM

Sweet thanks for the info
Old 10-13-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirlee View Post

but in large you will learn nothing in class. Its completely worthless if you know anything about guns.
I guess that may depend on who you take your training from. I have been an avid shooter all my life since the time I was a little kid and I learned plenty when I went to my CCW class. But my trainer was former military, current sheriff and swat. That may have helped. I guess the point is, find out some information on who the trainers are in your particular area. Talk to them and find out about their approach.
Old 10-13-2013, 1:44 PM

Stanislaus requires the class within 6 months I believe
Old 10-13-2013, 8:03 PM

The class i took was only valid 90 days. Live scan is taking a long time to report back on multiple applicants that i know. Pass your initial first, do your live scan and take your ccw class and hope your live scan is back before your final issuance
Old 10-13-2013, 8:18 PM

Wife and I both took the training class before initial application. Turned in the certificate of training and qualification when application was filled out at SO. Called in three days for Live Scan. CCW issued in 30 days but we live in Calaveras Cty.
Old 10-13-2013, 9:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I took my training before my appointment. Through the entire process I told myself it was a given I'd get approved. Power of positive thinking. And a good Sheriff.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirlee View Post
if your good to go why not? i did the same thing, except i went to my class after my appointment but before the approval. still waiting for doj.

Totally disagree. I just finished up my CCW course with Wes of LFI and while Calguns and Librarian in general taught me as much about actual law, if not a bit more, the actual shooting course was worth more than $250.

It was good enough I plan on taking more classes as I found that I am lacking in areas more than I thought I was.

The class he provides would be good for anyone that even planned on having a gun in the home without a CCW as he spent a great deal of time hammering home the real life repercussions of using your weapon, even if you are 100% justified in doing so as well as doing a pretty good job of teaching you to shoot better.

I paid more for the better training and it sounds like you didn't get everything out of your course that you could have.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:56 PM

I took my training before my initial appointment in Sacramento. Even if you're denied, the training is a good experience! Go for it!

Life Member
Old 10-14-2013, 9:45 PM

Every training class I've taken has been worthwhile, I'm getting value each time.
Old 10-15-2013, 7:23 PM

Training is valuable but spending money on the correct courses is what matters most. A person only target shooting could find a more valuable course then a ccw class