Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 05-22-2017, 1:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Default DOJ rules and someone who can't read

So I was forwarded a link to a web page which claims that you have to get a CA DOJ serial number for all of the new so-called a-salt weapon registrations:

https://bearingarms.com/beth-b/2017/...sault-weapons/

Quote:
BREAKING: California Releases Assault Weapons Ban Language

Posted at 3:56 pm on May 19, 2017 by Beth Baumann
5. You’ve gone through the above steps but wait. You’re not done yet! The CA DoJ will provide each of your firearms with a specific serial number. You must then take your firearm and your new serial number and have an FFL engrave it on your firearm.

6. Once the serial number is engraved on your firearm, you have to provide pictures to the DoJ showing the serial number was completed.
There is one slight problem with this claim based on the link that the article provides for the reference to these claims:

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/...egulation-.pdf

Page 9, item (g) references FMBUS, Firearm manufacturded by Unlicensed Subject, which is getting a serial number for a firearm that does not have a serial number already. Page 12, 5472.2 is the continued info on registering a FMBUS.This seems to be where the incorrect information that ALL so-called a-salt weapons must have a serial number from the state added. It is also interesting to wonder if they will make it possible to get a serial from the state AND register it within the deadline.

Page 3, item (d) is interesting because it is not the law and if you look at (b) and (c), the CA PC is referenced, but not for (d).

It seems clear that the CA DOJ does not care about following the law, but instead just doing what they want.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited by kemasa; 05-22-2017 at 1:47 PM..
Old 05-22-2017, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

Let's be honest, CADOJ has never cared about a law they don't like.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 05-22-2017, 1:52 PM
Calguns Addict

True, but in this case they are just making things up and trying to create a law that they want, but which does not exist.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 05-22-2017, 4:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just curious here, how does the DOJ expect other FFL's to deal with somebodys home build? If its a so called assault weapon nobody can take it without an AW permit. Now lets suppose Joe Public finds that FFL to do the serial number, what would ATF have to say about this? I would expect they wouldn't like an FFL just slapping serial numbers on firearms, that they didn't make themselves. Im not an 07 but wouldn't ATF want the FFL to then pay the tax on the guns and mark them with their manufacturing marks? Thus creating an "ABC FFL" rifle with serial number DOJ12345? Then would that rifle need to then be DROS'ed and 4473'd? How can somebody transfer a so called AW post 2016? I'm so confused here about this one.
Gun transfers 10am-5pm 7 days a week!
We are an NFA firearms dealer!

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan for our deal of the day!

UNTIL YEARS END, OR WE RUN OUT! Spikes Tactical ST15 Receivers $65 each! Zombie, Punisher, and Spider logos!
Old 05-22-2017, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I think that a FFL can work on a so-called a-salt weapon without a permit as long as the owner stays. Also, I would assume that the firearm would have to be taken apart in order to engrave it, so at that point it would just be a receiver.

As to the FFL engraving serial numbers, that is a very good question. There would be no paperwork required to return the firearm, but in the future the information would be interesting since it is not really real. If it is de-registered, then it could be transferred.

On the other hand, what if the person engraved it with "Fred's Firearms, Anytown, CA, SN: 123", then used that to register it. How would the CA DOJ know that it is not a valid company?

Old 05-23-2017, 8:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
On the other hand, what if the person engraved it with "Fred's Firearms, Anytown, CA, SN: 123", then used that to register it. How would the CA DOJ know that it is not a valid company?
I was thinking the same thing myself this morning. We know the DOJ only has certain manufacturers on the drop down menu on the DES for long guns. I DROS plenty that are U S - then noted in the comments RTT Firearms, Lake Havasu City, AZ.

How would they possibly know if somebody registered a home build that had been pre engraved? Not advocating for this obviously, just asking.
Gun transfers 10am-5pm 7 days a week!
We are an NFA firearms dealer!

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan for our deal of the day!

UNTIL YEARS END, OR WE RUN OUT! Spikes Tactical ST15 Receivers $65 each! Zombie, Punisher, and Spider logos!
Old 05-23-2017, 9:45 AM

The below link may or may not answer some questions. Looks like it may come into affect 06/17.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...-app-adopt.pdf
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. Rbt. Heinlein
Old 05-23-2017, 1:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acespawnshop View Post
I was thinking the same thing myself this morning. We know the DOJ only has certain manufacturers on the drop down menu on the DES for long guns. I DROS plenty that are U S - then noted in the comments RTT Firearms, Lake Havasu City, AZ.

How would they possibly know if somebody registered a home build that had been pre engraved? Not advocating for this obviously, just asking.
Same here.

I have no idea of how they would know or how the FFL would know that it was not a real company. I doubt that the BATF would like to get questioned about all the different FFLs, including from years gone by.