Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-03-2012, 9:37 PM

Default Rebuild Kits

So, just curious as to how a rebuild kit is legal to purchase even though we block them to 10 rounds. They are meant as parts kits, not to use as new magazines, even blocked. I have heard stuff about this topic in the past, but I still wonder about their legality.

I only ask because I am ordering some from out of state.
Old 12-03-2012, 9:44 PM

The way we can purchase them is under "rebuild kit" they assume you either don't put it together in CA or use it to rebuild already legal mags. Once you add a block you open the third option of making a legal CA 10 rnd mag.
Old 12-03-2012, 9:46 PM

Rebuild kits are intended to be used with pre-ban magazines or to build 10 round magazines. It will always be cheaper to build your own 10 rounder than pay someone $30-$40 for one.

When rebuilding your prebans it is advisable but not required to destroy one component such as cutting the springs in half so you do not have enough parts to build new mags. Even the toughest mags will get beat up in a carbine or pistol course and require repair at some point.
Old 12-03-2012, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

As long as you do not fully assemble them into high capacity magazines in CA, you're good to go for ordering any kind of kit or repair parts for magazines. If you want to build your own blocked 10 round mags, just make sure the block is in before fully assembling and sealing it (making it permanent).

See this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=387409
Old 12-03-2012, 9:55 PM

And as long as the mag requires a tool or for it to be taken apart to make it greater than 10, it is legal, correct?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
As long as you do not fully assemble them into high capacity magazines in CA, you're good to go for ordering any kind of kit or repair parts for magazines. If you want to build your own blocked 10 round mags, just make sure the block is in before fully assembling and sealing it (making it permanent).

See this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=387409
Thanks, I knew something like that was on here and was just looking for it.

In everyone's opinion, are MagBlocks sufficient? It would require the mag to be taken apart to change it. The only reason I ask is if I take my gun out of state I want to be able to shoot larger mags, assuming I am somewhere that it is allowed.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

That's how I understand it. Many of them (especially PMAGs) are made by drilling a small hole and securing it with a simple roll pin.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Here's an example of how they're made at Parallax Tactical:

Magazine is taken apart, a specific magazine block is inserted (from the bottom, under the follower, or in the center of the spring, depending on the type of block), floor plate is re-installed, small hole is drilled in a specific location to lock plate in place, and roll pin is inserted. I've personally made hundreds of these.

Be sure to function check though. If tolerances are off, it may hold 11. Because of that, some blocks are pretty snug on the 10th round and have trouble inserting fully loaded into an AR15 with the bolt forward.

Last edited by cfusionpm; 12-03-2012 at 10:16 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 8:32 AM

You can also drill a 1/8" hole in the middle of the Magpul logo, It lines up with a factory hole in the Magpul limiter and can be pop riveted easily.

Robert