Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 01-31-2018, 1:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Scope advice around $1,000

Hi all, I did a search but with newer scopes on the market I couldn't find a recent enough thread. I'm in the market for a 6.5CM and want a new optic to match. Most of my shooting will be either at a range or desert- so far, up to 600 yards but I want to work up to 1,000 yards once I find a decent place to shoot. May eventually take it out of state to help family control some coyote and prairie dog issues as well. I've used Nightforce, Vortex, and Burris but never had a chance to compare them side by side and those were higher end models so way above my price point.

From an internet search, I've seen PST2's and XTR2's mentioned a lot. Is there anything else you'd recommend? If something is a few hundred cheaper but similar in quality, I'm all ears. That just means more money making ammo.

Proper tracking is my highest priority with sight clarity being second. I'm not sure if a zero stop is necessary for my use and I prefer a mil reticle. Illumination would be a big plus but not a deal breaker (where we hunt has a lot of valleys and gorges - it gets dark). From my past experiences, I know I'd prefer at least a 15x. More would be better but I don't want to sacrifice too much clarity at max power. I know at my price point, I'm limited in that regard. However if something you feel is worth upping my price limit, I will definitely consider it.

Thanks for you input!

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 01-31-2018, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Vortex Gen 1 Razor especially since u mentioned proper tracking as your highest priority. Yes, it will prob be used but it will be worth it.
Old 01-31-2018, 2:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Vortex Gen 1 is a pretty solid option if you can find one used for that price... I thought they generally go for a bit more used.

SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 also has SOLID tracking, it just lacked the refinements of most high end scopes. Its a no frills optic that puts tracking and glass quality at top priority. Easy to find in your price point too. Every bit as good, or better than a Gen 1 Razor in the tracking and glass department.
Old 01-31-2018, 2:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For that price I'd buy the one I've been wanting for a while. Leupold VX-3i LRP with CCH reticle... 6.5-20 FFP

Cabela's has it at $999.99 which means it'd ship for about $680 or so if stars aligned with discounts.
Old 01-31-2018, 2:49 PM
Veteran Member

I just put a Vortex Viper 5-25 Gen 2 FFP on a 6.5 Creedmore but haven’t had a chance to zero it or stretch it out yet. Through various coupons discounts etc it was just less than a $1k with a Vortex Mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2018, 2:59 PM
Veteran Member

Cabela's has the XTR II 3-15X50 with SCR MIL reticle on sale for $749.88 right now. For that price I don't think you'll find a better scope. Even at their regular price of $1049 I don't think there is anything better than the XTR II scopes.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/BURRI...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-31-2018, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow, 749.88 is a lot cheaper than what I saw online the other day. Does anyone happen to know how the glass is compared to the VX3i mentioned above? This one seems like best bang for the buck so far from what I’ve read...

I’m ASSuming the gen 1 razor has better glass than the Gen2 PST. Going to read up some more online right now.

Thank you very much for everyone’s input so far.
Old 01-31-2018, 4:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I can't make a comment about the Gen 2 PST, the the Gen 1 Razor has noticeably better glass than a Gen1 PST. I can see the Gen2 being that far off.

The SWFA SS HD was Razor level glass, and to my eyes, was better than my Razor. Better overall color, saturation, and that "pop" that makes for a pleasurable viewing experience.

Gen 1 Razor, SWFA SS HD, Gen 1 PST

Old 01-31-2018, 4:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
Cabela's has the XTR II 3-15X50 with SCR MIL reticle on sale for $749.88 right now. For that price I don't think you'll find a better scope. Even at their regular price of $1049 I don't think there is anything better than the XTR II scopes.

I really like this scope... the only thing that holds me back is the max magnification, but it meets the OP requirements. Top contender.
Old 01-31-2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
I just put a Vortex Viper 5-25 Gen 2 FFP on a 6.5 Creedmore but haven’t had a chance to zero it or stretch it out yet. Through various coupons discounts etc it was just less than a $1k with a Vortex Mount.

This right here...I have one on a 6mm creed and on my 22...I can see impacts from my 22 at 300yds in wet dirt.

Old 01-31-2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
The SWFA SS HD was Razor level glass, and to my eyes, was better than my Razor. Better overall color, saturation, and that "pop" that makes for a pleasurable viewing experience.

Reads like a camera lens review.

Are there adapters to run the SWFA on Canon bodies?

Old 01-31-2018, 5:42 PM

SWFA scopes do have very nice glass I just don’t care for their reticle

Old 01-31-2018, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post

This right here.

I've owned a few and still own 1; a lot of features, FFP, great tracking, and clear glass!

A good runner-up is my new-to-me Bushnell DMR. The glass seems a bit more clear at higher magnification, but it costs a bit more and weighs a good deal more.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:50 PM

Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27. $849 normal price, but optics planet has sidewide 10% off quite offen. It's much better then burris xtr IMO. Just got the 2.5-15 model last week. Cannot be happier.

Last edited by xugz0212; 01-31-2018 at 10:53 PM..
Old 02-01-2018, 12:22 AM

Sightron SIII. Light on features, but heavy on glass. You have to make the call.
Old 02-01-2018, 3:57 AM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

SWFA.

LINK: 9mm Shootout: BHP vs 92A1 vs SP-01 vs P-01
Old 02-01-2018, 6:56 AM
Vendor/Retailer

All pretty good suggestions here.

I think most options in that price point will have some type of zero stop/reset.

Reticle preference is probably going to be the biggest deciding factor.

While I have spent more time on the 4.5-14x50 VX3i LRP than the 6.5-20x50, I really like the series and would recommend it.

The Sightron SIII 6-24x50 is another scope I have used some, mostly on a RPR 6.5creedmoor, and had zero complaints about it.

The nice thing about the Gen 1 Razor 5-20x50 is that it has a large adjustment range (ideal for working up to 1000yds).

-Matt S.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 02-01-2018, 7:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Guard View Post
Reads like a camera lens review.

Are there adapters to run the SWFA on Canon bodies?

Now that you point it out, it does sounds like a lens review haha

Before I got into shooting, I was pretty heavy into photography.

Knowing what good glass is makes for an expensive transition into the scope world.
Old 02-01-2018, 8:48 AM

To my eyes Razor and VX-3i glass is noticeable better than Viper glass. Vipers and of course Razors tend to track better than VX-3i also.
Old 02-01-2018, 9:03 AM

I have the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 MOA on an RPR in 6.5CM. Great value for the price. You can get the MRAD reticle within your price range if you do a little searching. It's available from Optics Planet for $1,099 currently. You can find these in brand new or like new condition from private parties in the $650 to $700 range on a semi-regular basis if you put a little time in on the typical private party sites.

I'm not an exceptional shot, nor am I a doctor in long range shooting. I'm able to hit steel repeatedly at 500 yards without difficulty with that setup, and plan to get out further. I'd imagine you'll be able to do the same and not have much trouble getting out to 1,000 yards like you had said. Good luck with picking an optic. There are several good choices out there for you.
Old 02-01-2018, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

Talking Look for the deal

I think sometimes people miss a good opportunity. Everyone's in so much of a hurry to get one they don't look for that special deal like my Zeiss 5-25 I got for $800 out the door or the Bushnell Elite here at the local brick and mortar store for 40% off.

1. Decide what power you want I found for me that was the best place to start.

2. Decide on the reticule there's so many you need to make sure you get one you want and that will serve your purpose.

3. Pick like 3 to choose from then compare them and make your decision base don the criteria important to you.

4. Don't pass up an awesome deal by thinking 'this is too good to be true' unless you're shopping for scopes on ebay lol.

Take your time make a bullet point list of what you're looking for in the scope and find a few choices in your price range.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 02-01-2018, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
I think sometimes people miss a good opportunity. Everyone's in so much of a hurry to get one they don't look for that special deal like my Zeiss 5-25 I got for $800 out the door or the Bushnell Elite here at the local brick and mortar store for 40% off.

2. Decide on the reticule there's so many you need to make sure you get one you want and that will serve your purpose.

3. Pick like 3 to choose from then compare them and make your decision base don the criteria important to you.

4. Don't pass up an awesome deal by thinking 'this is too good to be true' unless you're shopping for scopes on ebay lol.

Take your time make a bullet point list of what you're looking for in the scope and find a few choices in your price range.

Solid advise here

Old 02-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post

Funny that you post this.

I just came up on a Bushnell LRTSi that at a price that I can't turn down so my decision's been made!

Big THANK YOU again to everyone that chimed in and helped. I really appreciated the input.

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Glad to hear you found a good deal on an optic. Now the big question.... what 6.5CM rifle is it going on?
Old 02-01-2018, 1:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dog Man View Post
Glad to hear you found a good deal on an optic. Now the big question.... what 6.5CM rifle is it going on?
I'm pricing out the Howa HCR. Originally I wanted to stick an R700 action into a chassis because they are generally more comfortable to me, even though I think most of them look weird.

The HCR stands out to me because I've hunted a lot using Howas and Weathery's with my family and I like the way the actions have felt plus they were all good shooters. My best friend used to do a lot of factory testing and his department was happy with them as well, especially considering the price point.

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 02-05-2018, 6:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktank View Post
I'm pricing out the Howa HCR. Originally I wanted to stick an R700 action into a chassis because they are generally more comfortable to me, even though I think most of them look weird.

The HCR stands out to me because I've hunted a lot using Howas and Weathery's with my family and I like the way the actions have felt plus they were all good shooters. My best friend used to do a lot of factory testing and his department was happy with them as well, especially considering the price point.
The HCR is a great rifle, but check out the new Howa Bravo too. I think your getting a better chassis with the Bravo.