Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 05-24-2011, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

Default Thinking about buying Remington SPR 310 O/U

I can't afford a super nice shotgun right now. So it's pretty much between this O/U, a Remington 870 express, or a Benelli nova. (all are about $400-$450)

Problem is I can only find the SPR310 online, and have not been able to see or hold one in person But they seem to get decent reviews.

I figured it would make more sense o get the O/U for skeet and trap, but please correct me if I am wrong, or would be better off with a nice pump. If I get better at the sport I will look for a nicer O/U later, but for now I'm just starting out and need the rest of the money for other things around the house.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:34 AM

I would look for a nice, used, semi-auto. You can't go wrong with an 870 but after shooting a lot of rounds, the 870 might beat you up. If you are shooting skeet, the semi-auto will work much better than a pump since you can get on your second target without having to work the action of the pump.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newshooter View Post
I would look for a nice, used, semi-auto. You can't go wrong with an 870 but after shooting a lot of rounds, the 870 might beat you up. If you are shooting skeet, the semi-auto will work much better than a pump since you can get on your second target without having to work the action of the pump.
Yea but the price of a nice used semi auto is out of my range. People seem to want to sell their used shotguns for $20 less than you can get them new on sale for. So I think I'm pretty limited to either this remington SPR 310 or a pump.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:01 AM

Try looking at a Stoeger, it's a wholly owned subsidiary of Benelli and uses much of the same technology & parts.
Take a look at the Model 2000 or the Condor, not too bad and in your price range.

"I point out the obvious because if I belabor the subtle it only leaves people slack-jawed and drooling." - Bill Heavey
Old 05-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

^ I decided to skip on the Condor. I don't trust it based on reviews.

But OP, for your price range: Stoeger M2000 or a CZ 712/912. Think I found generously priced Remington 1100's too, used.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:50 AM

I really like the Mossberg Silver Reserve that I picked up at Big 5 a few years ago. It's a low-end O/U, but it shoots good enough for me. I think I paid under $500 out the door.

The only modifications I made were: I changed out the stock metal front bead for a fiber optic sight, and I replaced the horribly thin recoil pad for a Limbsaver. The limbsaver added another inch or so to the Length of Pull, so it actually fits me better, now.

Sorry, I have no experience with the Remmy O/U, so I can't compare the two.

If you go with the pump, I'd recommend the Benelli. Not that there's anything wrong with the 870...but by the time I replaced my 870's recoil pad (original was hard as a rock), magazine cap (so that I could use a sling), added a rear sling stud, and a fiber optic front sight, I had paid about as much as the Nova - and the Nova comes with all of those from the factory...and it can shoot 3.5" shells.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Benelli's action was really smooth compared to the 870 at the time I checked it out Think the slide is a little farther, though but it felt fine for my short arms.
Old 05-24-2011, 1:04 PM
Veteran Member

Yea for a pump my top pick is a nova, or Remington 870 Wingmaster. I have shot both the 870 express and Benelli Nova. The Remington seemed to point a little easier, but the Benelli felt better quality. I did about the same with both (not great hah).

I'm not sure why others are recommending the turkish stoeger, or turkish mossbergs over the Russian made Remington SPR 310 though. Can someone please explain? I haven't see any 1100's in my price range that do not have fixed chokes.
Old 05-24-2011, 1:09 PM
Veteran Member

A couple of thoughts....

I had a Remington Spartan 310 O/U. For the price it shot fine. Fit and finish more on the low end; but, it shot well. Some Big 5's still carry them, but on close out.

I also have a Benelli Nova and a Remington 870. I'll take the 870 any day of the week. The Benelli may be a "Benelli", but it's almost 100% plastic. You cannot go wrong with an older 870, but the newer ones look and feel cheap, like they've cut corners to keep the cost down.

I've seen several Remington auto's for sale on Calguns for less than $500, so keep looking. As for the Stoeger, its made in Turkey and sold under the Stoeger name. It's NOT a Stoeger however.

I'm in the market for an O/U but don't want to break the bank either. I'm considering the Mossberg. I'm hoping that there will be some sales over the Memorial Weekend at gun stores I shop at.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2011, 1:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
A couple of thoughts....

I had a Remington Spartan 310 O/U. For the price it shot fine. Fit and finish more on the low end; but, it shot well. Some Big 5's still carry them, but on close out.

I also have a Benelli Nova and a Remington 870. I'll take the 870 any day of the week. The Benelli may be a "Benelli", but it's almost 100% plastic. You cannot go wrong with an older 870, but the newer ones look and feel cheap, like they've cut corners to keep the cost down.

I've seen several Remington auto's for sale on Calguns for less than $500, so keep looking. As for the Stoeger, its made in Turkey and sold under the Stoeger name. It's NOT a Stoeger however.

I'm in the market for an O/U but don't want to break the bank either. I'm considering the Mossberg. I'm hoping that there will be some sales over the Memorial Weekend at gun stores I shop at.

Good luck.
Thanks for the input I have been looking for a couple months now. Problem with getting an older 870 is that they are out of my price range, even used they are going for $600+ now. The new 870 express does not seem to have the same quality as the Nova, both may be plastic, but the plastic on the nova is better and the pump is smoother IMO, plus it feeds 3.5" shells.

I do see Remington 1100's for sale in my price range but either they are not 12ga, or they have fixed chokes.

I did find a used special purpose 870 for just under $400. So that is an option too, but I was thinking the Spartan 310 might be better when I decide to try Skeet.

What about a Barasingha - Model 220, it can't shoot 3" or 3.5" shells but it would be a decent o/u for trap/skeet no?

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 05-24-2011 at 2:51 PM..
Old 05-24-2011, 4:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post

I don't think anything bad is going to happen to the "plastic". That thing looks & feels like a tank haha. I have plastic on my .22 and my handgun, no worries.
Old 05-24-2011, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

Whats the difference between the 870 express and the 870 special purpose? Other than that the special purpose can shoot 3.5" shells?
Old 05-24-2011, 6:29 PM

WOW, what a mess. The 870 Express is the same gun as the Wingmaster except for finish and furniture. The only thing polymer is the trigger plate assembly and that is more durable then the cast. Don't undestand where you come up with the gun is made from plastic.

Would you take a Wilson Combat model? Well that is built on the Express. How about a $1200 AI&P Tactical? That is built on the Express model also as are all the Custom 870's out there except Vang Comps. Not that it matters since there is only one 870 and they only differ by finish, furniture and about $7 in internal parts.

Guys you might want to learn about a weapon before you comment on them.

As for the Special Purpose, that only refers to the finish and it is the same finish as the Express but the polish the receiver and barrel some before they apply it. And no, it is the Super Magnum that is the 3.5". You will see plenty of 3" receivers marked Special Purpose.

If money is tight get the Remington 5077 model or a Mossberg 500. Either will do what you want them to do.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunslings.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 05-24-2011, 7:00 PM

CzCUSTOM, may have something for you. O/Us start at $489.00 to $680.00.

John
Old 05-24-2011, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5539 View Post

John
Any places stock these locally?
Old 05-24-2011, 8:57 PM

I just DROS'd one of these (sporting model) at my FFL http://www.ussginc.com/pdfs/USSG_2011Catalog_p17.pdf, they are the same Baikals as the SPR310 only now imported by USSG. I paid $490 OTD shipped to my FFL. All the O/U's I found in this price range seem to made in Turkey and have poor reviews.
Old 05-24-2011, 8:58 PM

Quote:

John
I believe all the CZ's in that price range are Turkish made?
Old 05-24-2011, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
WOW, what a mess. The 870 Express is the same gun as the Wingmaster except for finish and furniture. The only thing polymer is the trigger plate assembly and that is more durable then the cast. Don't undestand where you come up with the gun is made from plastic.

Would you take a Wilson Combat model? Well that is built on the Express. How about a $1200 AI&P Tactical? That is built on the Express model also as are all the Custom 870's out there except Vang Comps. Not that it matters since there is only one 870 and they only differ by finish, furniture and about $7 in internal parts.

Guys you might want to learn about a weapon before you comment on them.

As for the Special Purpose, that only refers to the finish and it is the same finish as the Express but the polish the receiver and barrel some before they apply it. And no, it is the Super Magnum that is the 3.5". You will see plenty of 3" receivers marked Special Purpose.

If money is tight get the Remington 5077 model or a Mossberg 500. Either will do what you want them to do.
Try reading the comments before commenting on them. I don't believe anyone was saying that the Remington was plastic. Others were referring to the Benelli being plastic, and that that was one of the things that set it apart from the Remington.

I've got nothing against plastic guns. Take Glocks for instance. They seem reliable and have a strong following.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 PM

If you are interested in shooting 3.5" shells through a pump, you better make sure that your dental work is solid! Both the Benelli and the 870 Super Magnum kick like mules when loaded with a 3.5" shell. One thing to note, you would never use a 3.5" shell for clay games so I would not make that part of your decision process.

I would also check out www.trapshooters.com. They have a ton of good deals on shotguns. You can usually find a good deal on a used 1100 or a 390.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

yea 3.5" shells isn't too important to me. I mean if that was the only difference between two pump guns, then I'd certainly like that ability in case i ever go hunting with it. But I really care mostly about shooting trap and skeet with this shotgun.

The Remington SPR310 is russian made not turkish, which is why I thought it might be a better buy than similar ones by stoegers and CZ, although I hear the CZ's may be a bit nicer than stoegers. It's really hard to get the facts straight though.

Theres an Itallian O/U for sale Barasingha - Model 220 It's a little more than I wanted to spend and only takes 2 3/4 inch shells, but I'd be happy with that if it will be a better gun for trap. $600 (but now I'm $200 over what I wanted to spend)
Old 05-25-2011, 8:56 AM

Martin B. Retting, Culver City
Old 05-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Martin B. Retting, Culver City
If I could afford the gas to drive up there I could just buy a better shotgun lol.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
yea 3.5" shells isn't too important to me. I mean if that was the only difference between two pump guns, then I'd certainly like that ability in case i ever go hunting with it. But I really care mostly about shooting trap and skeet with this shotgun.
Hehe, you sound like me a few threads ago

Without shouldering either gun at the moment(lazy), I'm stuck on the Stoeger and the CZ because I don't know if I want an Inertia action or gas operated.
Old 05-25-2011, 6:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn View Post
I believe all the CZ's in that price range are Turkish made?
Yes, they are. The CZ's seem to be pretty good guns from the couple of examples I've seen. Stoeger seems to be nice, but the quality has been hit or miss from many reports on line. Might also consider the Turkish made Tri-Star line for a moderate price point, level gun.

I own an SPR310, 28 inch sporting model. I got it for about $400 brand new out the door on closeout from Davidson's. There was a 30 inch ported model on the for sale forum a week or two ago, but that looks to have been sold.

The Baikal made SPR310 (now imported by USSG as noted) is typically Russian.... robust, kind of heavy, not super pretty, but functional as all get out. I've never once not had mine go bang and I shoot hundreds of rounds through it per month. Uses Tru-Lock pattern choke tubes available in many configurations from Carlsons. Three inch chambers so you can use it in just about any wingshooting type of hunting and the finish isn't so gorgeous that you'll cry if you drop it climbing out of a duck blind.

I bought mine as a general hunting gun and to break back into clay shooting which I had walked away from almost 30 years ago to concentrate on pistol. It's doing me very good service until I firm up on a better clays gun.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

Last edited by BigDogatPlay; 05-25-2011 at 6:06 PM..
Old 05-25-2011, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay View Post
Yes, they are. The CZ's seem to be pretty good guns from the couple of examples I've seen. Stoeger seems to be nice, but the quality has been hit or miss from many reports on line. Might also consider the Turkish made Tri-Star line for a moderate price point, level gun.

I own an SPR310, 28 inch sporting model. I got it for about $400 brand new out the door on closeout from Davidson's. There was a 30 inch ported model on the for sale forum a week or two ago, but that looks to have been sold.

The Baikal made SPR310 (now imported by USSG as noted) is typically Russian.... robust, kind of heavy, not super pretty, but functional as all get out. I've never once not had mine go bang and I shoot hundreds of rounds through it per month. Uses Tru-Lock pattern choke tubes available in many configurations from Carlsons. Three inch chambers so you can use it in just about any wingshooting type of hunting and the finish isn't so gorgeous that you'll cry if you drop it climbing out of a duck blind.

I bought mine as a general hunting gun and to break back into clay shooting which I had walked away from almost 30 years ago to concentrate on pistol. It's doing me very good service until I firm up on a better clays gun.
^^^This is the reason I purchased a Baikal. Great reviews all over the web, plus my BIL has one and swears by it. Even over his Benelli Super Black Eagle? or what ever its called (I know, not an O/U) but he can hit anything he points that SPR310 at.
Old 05-25-2011, 8:29 PM

There is a really nice 1100 in the for sale section for $475. It does have a fixed modified choke, which is a great choke to start trap shooting with, and you can save up and have choke tube put in at a later date. There are a lot of places that you can have the barrell threaded for tubes.
Old 05-25-2011, 9:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes, they are. The CZ's seem to be pretty good guns from the couple of examples
Yeah, I heard the older ones were ****. I'm following a guy's thread in a dedicated shotgun forum on his CZ 912 and he's been shooting plenty through it(forgot the round count, definitely past 1,000) and he's had no problems. Another guy keeps in touch with a CZ pro or two and the over-unders seem good too! I trust them.
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 05-25-2011, 9:29 PM
Calguns Addict

I've got an SPR 310 and I love it. It's Russian and built like a tank. It does require some tweaking out of the box, but it's a great gun. First thing I did was cut 3-4 coils off the ejector springs. It makes opening and closing the gun way easier and it won't launch the empties 20 feet behind you. Also, the chokes that come with the gun are kinda crappy. I got some extended Tru-Locks and they're great. It's my primary trap gun and I can do quite well with it.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

gosh just when I decided on waiting good reviews for the Russian gun roll in :P.

Now I'm torn on whether or not to get my reloading gear. My girl has no idea what reloading gear costs but she knows guns are expensive :P.

Something is telling me to wait on the shotgun for one that I can checkout before I buy it?
Old 05-26-2011, 5:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
First thing I did was cut 3-4 coils off the ejector springs. It makes opening and closing the gun way easier and it won't launch the empties 20 feet behind you.
Wouldn't switching it to extract from eject serve the same purpose? I set mine to extract early on and once it was broken in it has become smooth enough opening for me.

Quote:
Also, the chokes that come with the gun are kinda crappy. I got some extended Tru-Locks and they're great. It's my primary trap gun and I can do quite well with it.
Good point that I neglected to mention. The OEM choke tubes are.... adequate. At least that's a charitable way to describe them. They work well enough but they are kind of rough. After market tubes a definite plus for clays.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 05-26-2011, 6:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Wouldn't switching it to extract from eject serve the same purpose? I set mine to extract early on and once it was broken in it has become smooth enough opening for me.
How do you switch them to extract rather than eject? When I first got the gun, I wanted to do that, but couldn't find any info about doing it. Only thing I found was cutting the coils.

Mine has smoothed out a bit after 700 rounds or so, but sometimes on doubles, it's requires some effort to crack it open. My wife still has a hard time locking it up, but I think overall, it's a bit too big for her.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:46 AM

I own both the Remington SPR310 and A CZ712 utility . Both have been dependable and good shooters. One thing to consider Tom Knapp the world record Benelli shooter is now sponsored by CZ and using a CZ712.

http://www.cz-usa.com/tomknapp/
Old 05-27-2011, 9:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
How do you switch them to extract rather than eject? When I first got the gun, I wanted to do that, but couldn't find any info about doing it. Only thing I found was cutting the coils.
Remove fore end, break open the gun and dismount the barrels. At the forward end of each side of the receiver you should see a very small screw. Turning those two screws a quarter turn clockwise locks out the ejectors and makes it extraction only. Top of page 9 in the manual with photos. Link to the manual in .pdf on this page. First thing I did when I got mine and cleaned it was set it to extract. I hate chasing after hulls on the trap field.

Quote:
Mine has smoothed out a bit after 700 rounds or so, but sometimes on doubles, it's requires some effort to crack it open. My wife still has a hard time locking it up, but I think overall, it's a bit too big for her.
My wife won't even touch my SPR 310. She pronouced it "waaaay too heavy". Mine is still a bit sticky to open once in a while on opening, I've probably got 3K or so rounds through the gun, but it's pretty random and my guess is that it's probably a "me thing" of some kind. I don't shoot a lot of doubles so I can't correlate your experience in that respect.

Quote:
Old 05-27-2011, 6:15 PM

I just picked up a nice used Baikal (same as the SPR310) for $325. It is solid and well made, handles well (even though it is a bit heavy), and looks good. And unlike an expensive O/U, I am not afraid to get a scratch or two on it.

There is lots of good info over at Shotgunworld.com:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...4acd7393700f50

Also look at nice used Winchester and Mossberg pumps. They are slick and fast guns once you get used to working the action. Usually in the $200-300 region.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellfedirishman View Post
I just picked up a nice used Baikal (same as the SPR310) for $325. It is solid and well made, handles well (even though it is a bit heavy), and looks good. And unlike an expensive O/U, I am not afraid to get a scratch or two on it.

There is lots of good info over at Shotgunworld.com:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...4acd7393700f50

Also look at nice used Winchester and Mossberg pumps. They are slick and fast guns once you get used to working the action. Usually in the $200-300 region.
You can get a new mossberg for under 300, I just don't like the way they feel. Seems like some cheap stuff slapped together and a made in USA sticker tossed on it. The last one I handled you could wiggle the pump/slide almost 30 degrees it had so much play in it. Not that it would not work, hell maybe the slop is actually better, but compared to the Benelli or event eh 870 express I handled it did not give me the same quality feel. I was not able to work the action cause big5 locks them.