Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-05-2017, 4:01 PM

while presuming you all have seen this pic, I believe this thread needs it.

304-227

Sovereign Citizens Coalition
Old 07-05-2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaJames83 View Post
I'm sure personnel size has nothing to do with it..
army: 476k
Navy: 327k
Marines: 182k
Basic math, Marine. The Army is still awarded approx 50% more MOHs per Soldier/Marine.

Last edited by BillyGoatCrawler; 07-06-2017 at 6:54 AM..
Old 07-06-2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
It's not good having an E7 chewing you out for not saluting an officer.
Officers might be at fault for not doing it themselves more. I think generally most of us don't want to exercise that "ego complex". There are those that do go out of their way to remind you they out rank you though.

I complain a lot about my unit's lack of bearing, and in a few months I'll find myself company commander of 150 of them, and it will be on my shoulders to improve that.

Our annual ASU (fancy blue uniform) inspection looks like a "stolen valor convention".

The 1SG was wearing the Navy version of the Commendation medal ribbon (obviously ordered the wrong one, and didn't know any better). She was never Navy. She also forgot her beret.

A SGT had sewn on stripes from the old GREEN uniform (gold on green).

The CO himself has mixed branch colors (his cuff doesn't match his shoulders). His branch insignia were mismatched. One was pointed at the 3 o'clock position, the other at the 12 o'clock. He also had the 3 year diagonal stripes on his cuff (only enlisted wear these, and he was never enlisted, and if you were they still have to come off).

A 1LT who got all bent out of shape over various things going wrong within the company and rubbed his rank in the NCO corps faces ended up showing up without rank on his beret. Then he didn't conform his shoulder boards to his shoulders. So they were as flat as boards. He wore his beret with the flash (w/o rank) in the center of his forehead (not over the left eye). Then to top if off only had two ribbons (the rainbow, and defense ribbon).

A Platoon SGT showed up with his ribbon rack on UPSIDE DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are the ones that come to mind. Lord knows how many would be out of compliance if a ruler was pulled out.

I am starting to understand the ROTC officers. They end up skipping Basic Training, don't go to OCS, and are never exposed to the correct way to set up a uniform.

However, every enlisted soldier gets out of Basic and AIT having a correct uniform. The ONLY thing they would be missing for a correct uniform is the Distinct Unit Insignia.

Soooooooooooo, I've lowered my expectations.

I'll be happy with "a correct" uniform. They don't have to have everything on there, but what they have on there has to be correct. In as much as it at least looks like a complete uniform (name, rank, unit insignia, branch/US insignia, and at least the rainbow, and defense ribbon).
Old 07-06-2017, 2:39 AM

That female AF Col....

Is classic..
Old 07-06-2017, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Officers might be at fault for not doing it themselves more. I think generally most of us don't want to exercise that "ego complex". There are those that do go out of their way to remind you they out rank you though.

I complain a lot about my unit's lack of bearing, and in a few months I'll find myself company commander of 150 of them, and it will be on my shoulders to improve that.

Our annual ASU (fancy blue uniform) inspection looks like a "stolen valor convention".

The 1SG was wearing the Navy version of the Commendation medal ribbon (obviously ordered the wrong one, and didn't know any better). She was never Navy. She also forgot her beret.

The CO himself has mixed branch colors (his cuff doesn't match his shoulders). His branch insignia were mismatched. One was pointed at the 3 o'clock position, the other at the 12 o'clock. He also had the 3 year diagonal stripes on his cuff (only enlisted wear these, and he was never enlisted, and if you were they still have to come off).

A 1LT who got all bent out of shape over various things going wrong within the company and rubbed his rank in the NCO corps faces ended up showing up without rank on his beret. Then he didn't conform his shoulder boards to his shoulders. So they were as flat as boards. He wore his beret with the flash (w/o rank) in the center of his forehead (not over the left eye). Then to top if off only had two ribbons (the rainbow, and defense ribbon).

These are the ones that come to mind. Lord knows how many would be out of compliance if a ruler was pulled out.

I am starting to understand the ROTC officers. They end up skipping Basic Training, don't go to OCS, and are never exposed to the correct way to set up a uniform.

However, every enlisted soldier gets out of Basic and AIT having a correct uniform. The ONLY thing they would be missing for a correct uniform is the Distinct Unit Insignia.

I'll be happy with "a correct" uniform. They don't have to have everything on there, but what they have on there has to be correct. In as much as it at least looks like a complete uniform (name, rank, unit insignia, branch/US insignia, and at least the rainbow, and defense ribbon).
Sheesh, I'd probably have a heart attack....
Old 07-06-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post

That sounds like kiddie corral. Not sure why someone would stay in if that's the kind of unit they have to deal with.
Old 07-06-2017, 1:54 PM
Calguns Addict

When I was in, the Navy figured out how to keep hands out of pockets. Our uniforms didn't have pockets! I don't know about now, but this was in the early 60's.

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Old 07-06-2017, 2:51 PM

I was AF, Aircraft Maintenance, so if it was cold as **** and windy as all get out and my guys and girls had their hands in their pockets on the flightline I'd never say a thing while they were working and trying to fix the jet. If they were waiting for pilots to start engines or something like that, I'd ask them if they had gloves, or loan them mine. SO, for me, even in the USAF the situation varied but I would get into the airmen for pockets and other stupid little stuff.
I only lit up one airmen in my 14 years of being an NCO. I was with a group of guys and QA was running around and was known to be a PITA, I asked all of them if they had all the equipment they needed before we tow this aircraft, knucklehead said yes. We went outside, QA goes to knucklehead asks him the same question and wanted to see the whistle(required) knucklehead then pretends to have it in his hand but it's broken. QA comes to me and asks me to talk to him. Knucklehead pulls the same stunt with me. I was heard 2 parking spots down on a windy flightline. I was more upset that I did everything I could to make sure he would succeed and he lied to QA and my face. That kid would avoid me at all costs the next 8 months he was stationed with me.
I've discovered taking the 'Dad' tone with most of them worked quite well unless they were about to walk into a running engine intake or something.
Got mah home def self def STFH close quarter blah blah humma Schumma herp a derp EMP EOW ready for Mad Max blah blah Red Dawn merca good2go hunker down bugout bag rock n roll preppd up for apocalypse Internet Walter Mitty cyber diahrrea gum flapping fantasy nonsense
Old 07-09-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standish View Post
That sounds like kiddie corral. Not sure why someone would stay in if that's the kind of unit they have to deal with.
I will be staying as Company Commander. So I won't have to sit quietly and tolerate it.

Sadly, we are among the top 10 companies in the BRIGADE.

On paper, we look pretty good. Yes, APFT sucks, but I can take care of the denominator and cut them loose to raise our pass rate.

There is a full time staff of 5 who are competent and can work together. The property book is squared away. It's a real company sized unit.

If I went to another unit or commanded another unit there probably be issues that really matter (like lost property, equipment failures, or a complete administrative mess like not being able to schedule flights and pay for training).

The big thing is the full time staff keep on top of the administrative stuff so our numbers look good, and our ducks are lined up to chapter out bad apples.

I consider myself quite lucky.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishfarmer View Post
I was more upset that I did everything I could to make sure he would succeed and he lied to QA and my face.
They are little brats.

The every one gets a trophy generation is too afraid to be told they are doing something wrong. So it manifests into them dodging every little criticism.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjoe View Post
We did Amphi Ops off Monterey, old school. Cargo nets and LVCP's.
The APA that I was on (attack transport), when deployed had a Marine Battalion aboard. We carried 12 LCVP's and 4 LCM's, the LCVP's could carry 30 Marines with packs and rifles, the LCM's 50 +. The LCVP's had a crew of 3, the coxswain, the engineman and a deckhand. Once alongside the ship the engineman and deckhand would lift the bottom of the net into the LCVP, and hold it until the first of the Marines were aboard, then they took over from there.

Then we would drive around in circles with the other landing craft. I was the deckhand and would drop the ramp on a signal from the coxswain. Most of the time we could get close enough that the Marines could step off the ramp onto the beach, sometimes they would have to wade a shore.

By the way, the Marines carried there own packs and rifles down the net!
That's what they were taught too do.

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Old 08-25-2017, 11:42 PM

I am a bit shocked to hear this. I too was at fort lost in the woods. Marines go there for motor T , MP etc. A couple of thoughts come to mind.

1. Dont pick on the army man....its not their fault that their training isnt as good... no really though im kidding, the army has its place and trust me when i say that sort of S-baggery is everywhere. Chesty had a point but a Marine with his hands in his pockets is in a defenseess position...theres a reason for the rules.

2. There are bigger problems to worry about, when i was active our unit took back to back deployments for the better part of ten years, combat burnout is a real thing and though we were S hot in the field we had other issues, like ptsd, duis, domestic violence issues, drug pops, even a couple of deserters so to any NCO who may be reading this, from a salty old Cpl, find the balance between good order and combat effectiveness. There is a tipping scale and hands in pockets is nothing that a decent sandbag detail cant fix.

3. In my time in i got to work with army, kbr, tcn, african regulars, canadians, bosnians, Iraq regulars, etc etc etc. Try to see this as an opportunity to help straighten up others and effect positive change in an approachable way. There are ways to lock people on without slaying souls...not gunna lie though, slaying s bags can be fun and is probably one of the things i miss most dearly....along with the field, and the danger.....and my trusty 240G

As my crusty old Cpl taught me when i was an angry boot upset with S bags, take what works and correct the rest.

Sent from my ship of right, while I float by all of you swimming in the sea of wrong.

Last edited by Redemption; 08-25-2017 at 11:53 PM..
Old 08-26-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
Usually when someone or something have to constantly talk about how good they are, they are compensating for something. Inferiority complex, maybe.

The truth is the majority of the ground fighting is/was/always will be done by the Army.

Just look at the Medal of Honors awarded from the 1990's to current.

Army-14
Navy-3
Marines-3

Go back to whatever major conflict we've had and the numbers will be similar. The MOH is not approved by your branch of service but by a panel consisting of all branches.

Why does the Army have so many more recipients, because they do most of the fighting. Some talk, some do.
Right... that couldnt possibly have anything to do with the fact that the army is more than twice the size of the Marines eh?

Sent from my ship of right, while I float by all of you swimming in the sea of wrong.
Old 09-25-2017, 7:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
Basic math, Marine. The Army is still awarded approx 50% more MOHs per Soldier/Marine.
True, but by that logic/statement, Army has the larger amount of s***bags then correct???
Old 09-25-2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
Basic math: Those 14 included national guardsmen, so you have to include them and the reserves.

Army: 1,081,921
Marines: 227,900

That comes down to 21% of the size of the Army. Just the barest smidge over 1 in 5. The Marines come out ahead again.
And everyone knows we are way more stingy with our awards in the corps.
Quote:
I don't understand. Is he being forced out for being an ammo-grabbing fascist or for being a failure as an ammo-grabbing fascist?
Old 09-25-2017, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357magnum View Post
While in school AIT at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, I got caught with my hands in my pockets.
I had to carry two bricks around all day, so my hands would not fit in my pockets.
Never did it again.
What MOS? I was at Aberdeen and often embarrassed to be in the Army. When ever in civilian clothes, people asked me if I was a Marine if it ever came up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 09-25-2017, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourson View Post
Basic math: Those 14 included national guardsmen, so you have to include them and the reserves.

Army: 1,081,921
Marines: 227,900

That comes down to 21% of the size of the Army. Just the barest smidge over 1 in 5. The Marines come out ahead again.
And everyone knows we are way more stingy with our awards in the corps.
Your math isn't the same. With your math and including NG and reserves, they don't come out ahead... However, you comparing size which can be related. The MOH award rate is equal. 3 MOH vs 14 MOH is also 21%.

Since neither Marine or Army reserve/NG component has received a single MOH sinc the 90's( what we are talking about) it would be safe to neglect them.

Or you can include them if it makes you feel better. You can also measure your member while chubbed up and compare it to a flaccid member. In the end, they're both members, so it's comparable right?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

The unseen question. Who's the statue in the background of?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyca View Post
What MOS? I was at Aberdeen and often embarrassed to be in the Army. When ever in civilian clothes, people asked me if I was a Marine if it ever came up.
Did you tell them you could not be a Marine because your parents where married.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:22 AM

First off it was an National Guard / Reservist you are referring to. Huge difference to active duty. Also, combat arms units - even more is frowned upon - Folding arms, sunglasses, cell phones, etc, etc.
Old 10-26-2017, 7:52 AM

Reservists and NGs forget a lot of the stuff they initially learned from basic training. I don't blame them, they're considered reservists, it's really up to their chain of command to go through some proper military etiquette.

Active duty on the other hand...way way different imo. They're held to more higher standard
Old 10-26-2017, 9:09 AM

What do you expect after the miserable "Army of One" campaign for so many years.
Old 11-15-2017, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durgaprasadzone View Post
thanks for info..

Buh Bye Spammer
Old 11-15-2017, 2:59 AM
Veteran Member

The pic of the Air Force colonel fatty McGee with hands in pocket is suitable for framing...
In the Navy ships that keep crashing into things...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg