Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-31-2017, 6:46 PM

Default PDQ'd? MEPS says go, recruiter says no...

Don't want to give too much detail, but I had a minor surgery when I was 1 year old that required a waiver.
MEPS said my paperwork was cleared and out for a waiver, recruiter told me "there's nothing I can do to help".
SO now what? Who and how can I fight this?
Old 05-31-2017, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanehatesyou View Post
Don't want to give too much detail, but I had a minor surgery when I was 1 year old that required a waiver.
MEPS said my paperwork was cleared and out for a waiver, recruiter told me "there's nothing I can do to help".
If your recruiter is wrong then he doesn't know what current waivers being allowed are.

If MEPS is wrong then they simply don't know what the military is currently accepting as a waiver, because something is waived today doesn't mean it will be waived tomorrow.

Somewhere out there is the current standings for various waivers for medical conditions, physical limitations, tattoos, criminal history, etc.....

You need to get the current policy as issued by the DOD or the service you are interested in.

Or just keep going to different recruiters until you get the answer you want (which in all reality is probably easier).

There is not one person here, or anywhere that knows all the regulations in any of the services. Furthest from those regulation nerds are Recruiters and Drill SGT's. Everyone just seems to zero in on regulations as they pertain to their personal agenda.

You are finding out at ground zero you need to figure that stuff out on your own in order to get those that outrank you to do what you need.

A word to the wise in regard to MEPS:

Don't give answers to questions that were not asked. MEPS is a dangerous place. I was floored by how many kids were getting DQ'd around me at MEPS because of their mouths. I'm not saying to lie. They will bury you for that, but don't try and be nice and give them more than asked for.

Last edited by Snoopy47; 05-31-2017 at 9:19 PM..
Old 06-01-2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
If your recruiter is wrong then he doesn't know what current waivers being allowed are.

If MEPS is wrong then they simply don't know what the military is currently accepting as a waiver, because something is waived today doesn't mean it will be waived tomorrow.

Somewhere out there is the current standings for various waivers for medical conditions, physical limitations, tattoos, criminal history, etc.....

You need to get the current policy as issued by the DOD or the service you are interested in.

Or just keep going to different recruiters until you get the answer you want (which in all reality is probably easier).

There is not one person here, or anywhere that knows all the regulations in any of the services. Furthest from those regulation nerds are Recruiters and Drill SGT's. Everyone just seems to zero in on regulations as they pertain to their personal agenda.

You are finding out at ground zero you need to figure that stuff out on your own in order to get those that outrank you to do what you need.

A word to the wise in regard to MEPS:

Don't give answers to questions that were not asked. MEPS is a dangerous place. I was floored by how many kids were getting DQ'd around me at MEPS because of their mouths. I'm not saying to lie. They will bury you for that, but don't try and be nice and give them more than asked for.

I'm aware of the evil MEPS can be, this is something I couldn't get around.
Would switching branches be a viable option? Or taking it too far?
Old 06-02-2017, 1:07 AM

You could probably try other services.

Exhaust your options. I don't know what options you have.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

My friend was DQ'd for " swimmers ear" when trying to join the Navy. It required a surgery for a relatively minor problem. That was the choice he was given submit to painful surgery on his own dime to join. He couldn't join.

Now he works at Scripps Hospitial in the operating room, so it all worked for him. I think once the MEPS doctor documents his findings or your history I would imagine that is kept on a chart. Not sure if stored onsite or electronically.

Now, you could try going to a different MEPS/ recruiting station ( fresh start) in another county and see if you slip through the cracks. I remember, going to the San Diego station they take your finger prints and biometrics. So pretty strict guidelines..

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 06-02-2017 at 11:05 PM..
Old 06-02-2017, 11:01 PM

The Recruiter gets you to MEPS. MEPS gets you to the Game.

If MEPS says go, then it is go.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:24 PM

I would be impressed if anyone did this, but a wise man would go through a full medical exam before going to MEPS. Once they know the bad then that's that, they always will know.

The catch is one would have to pull up the enlistment/commissioning medical regulations and pay on your own dime to be examined within those regulation guidelines so the exam results stay your private information.

You of course don't know this until you are already in the game.

1) I lost three months time because I had LASIK eye correction. It was a mere formality, but not knowing I needed a waiver for that surgery cost me time.

2) When I did a medical for an officer's commission it turned out my Cholesterol was high. To the point I needed a medical waiver. Had I known they were going to test for this I could have tested on my own dime, and made the correction and push it down without the Army ever knowing. I ate non processed oat meal for 2 meals a day for a month to crash my levels, but then it was too late and I needed the waiver (which I did get and probably because I had already jumped though all the other hoops and that was the absolute last thing).

All these issues I found out later were in the regulations, and I thought SON OF A BICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could have avoided that nonsense.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbgaijin View Post
The Recruiter gets you to MEPS. MEPS gets you to the Game.

If MEPS says go, then it is go.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:52 AM

Here's the whole catch, MEPS said waiverable 100% but my recruiter is trying to tell me he can't...
Old 06-03-2017, 4:18 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah MEPS sucks.

I was all set to go into Air Traffic Control, but the MEPS eye exam said I have poor depth perception (not true). Turns out the mouth breathing tech told me the wrong instructions for reading that eye chart.......and I was too young and cowed to fight for myself, so I went into a crappier job.

I also had to go through a short psych eval due to a 6 month stint of taking antidepressants as a teen.
This psych eval consisted of an old man asking me questions, and then insulting me over my answers to try to get a rise out of me. Once I figured out that game, I clammed up and refused to speak.
I passed the eval, but that old bastard wrote that I was a "dullard" in my permanent record. This, despite my IQ being higher than most of my fellow enlistees. That opinion came from an old man who worked for MEPS to supplement his obviously inadequate retirement income.

Yeah that place sucks.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2017, 2:51 PM

Just because it is something that is allowed to be waived, does not mean that the service or specific district is willing to waive it at that time.
Quote:
I don't understand. Is he being forced out for being an ammo-grabbing fascist or for being a failure as an ammo-grabbing fascist?
Old 06-03-2017, 3:02 PM
Calguns Addict

I got bounced at MEPS too. I was prescribed allergy meds after the age of 13 used for asthma. Found out years later the Navy allowed a coworker to run on a pulmonary machine and cleared him. The Army just said no.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: I cant wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 06-03-2017, 4:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
I got bounced at MEPS too. I was prescribed allergy meds after the age of 13 used for asthma. Found out years later the Navy allowed a coworker to run on a pulmonary machine and cleared him. The Army just said no.
Apparently not a new way of doing business.

When Korea kicked off, my grandfather had a low(?) draft number, meaning he was certain to get drafted. Hoping to avoid the infantry, he went to the Navy recruiter and signed up.
During his entry physical, the doc found a heart murmur and DQd him.

So.....when he was called up for the draft, he showed the Army doctor that paper. The Army doc touched a stethescope to his chest, said "you're fine", and packed him away to be a radioman with the 24th ID.

Of course he really does have a heart murmur, but it didn't stop him from earning two Bronze Stars between 52-53.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2017, 7:37 PM
Veteran Member

Essentially it boils down to lazy recruiters and MEPS doctors who aren't interested in working with folks that need " extra help".
Old 06-03-2017, 7:39 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Try the Marines!
Old 06-04-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Blue View Post
Essentially it boils down to lazy recruiters and MEPS doctors who aren't interested in working with folks that need " extra help".
Yep, they are only trained to deal with 18 year old kids with a brand spanking new high school diploma, no legal history, modestly fit, and meet the minimum ASVAB score.

Outside of that their brains get all screwy.

When it's hard to meet their numbers then of course they will try and understand the regulations to meet them outside their comfort zone.
Old 06-06-2017, 1:37 PM

Went to a reserve recruiter and they're telling me I should be good to go... so i'm almost more frustrated that the NG couldn't help me...
Old 06-06-2017, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

Some recruiters are lazy as ****... Nothing more than that. If you want into the Guard, I'd suggest you goto a different station. There's different tier recruits that a recruiter sees, easy to process in. High school grad, no legal trouble, no medical waivers etc. Those are the guys they chase down. Everyone else they will try and close the door on you.
Old 06-07-2017, 2:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanehatesyou View Post
MEPS said my paperwork was cleared and out for a waiver, the recruiter told me "there's nothing I can do to help".

Why did you tell them you had a surgery?

They would have never found out. You can't possibly be expected to remember what happened to you when you were 1 year old.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 06-07-2017, 2:34 PM

Get a diff recruiter. Like others said here, some are just lazy. There isn't much of a quota to meet anymore for them so they don't rush in to get ppl to join like before.
Old 06-09-2017, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
Why did you tell them you had a surgery?

They would have never found out. You can't possibly be expected to remember what happened to you when you were 1 year old.

It's something tat would 100% come up in my physical...