Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:23 AM

Here is a re-test of the #1078 from AR500 Armor, which is a rebranded RMA plate. It seems indeed PE plates can stop M855, but only from SBR's or longer range distance
plate: https://goo.gl/HTUr62

Old 05-03-2018, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
Here is a re-test of the #1078 from AR500 Armor, which is a rebranded RMA plate. It seems indeed PE plates can stop M855, but only from SBR's or longer range distance
plate: https://goo.gl/HTUr62

Thanks Buff. As I've said before, there are no free lunches, physics: it's not just a good idea, it's the law! And, secret sauces only exist in fast food joints.
Old 05-30-2018, 1:51 PM

playing with copper solids in .30 cal today 115gr vs PE plate

Last edited by Buffman; 05-30-2018 at 1:55 PM..
Old 06-05-2018, 9:00 AM

Here is an M995, AP4, and SLAP test. Also tested some 152gr Tungsten .30 cal. Seems to be .30 cal is still king in level IV penetration

Old 06-28-2018, 8:48 AM
Elevator Mechanic
CGN Contributor

So to make a long, angry, sob story short, I'll try to make this brief!

Opticsplanet screwed me over. After suggestions from this thread, I went ahead and ordered a Shellback Tactical Banshee from them back in early April when it was on sale for $154. At the time it said 14-21 day delivery time and that was not a big deal. A week later it shows discontinued. Fast forward 3 months - Opticsplanet cancels my order after reassuring me that I'd receive mine "any week now" for the past 4 months. I have it all documented but they say it's now discontinued. I've been in contact with Shellback and it's not the case...

Anyway now that there are no sales, I don't want to spend $100 more for one. My use is to have in case SHTF (obviously) but I want to use it each month with my plates for conditioning during hikes and runs. I hike with gear on and want a rig that won't rip apart like the foreign made ones. But seeing as how I'm not LEO/MIL/High speed operator, I can't justify a high dollar plate carrier that's overkill for my stated needs.

As a cheaper alternative, I've been considering a Shellback Patriot for $184 shipped online. Is there anything you guys recommend at that price point? I really like the fact that Shellback is U.S. made (this is a requirement of mine) and that their customer service and owner were very nice and helpful towards me. I feel like they "deserve" my purchase if that makes sense but am open to hearing any suggestions you have to offer.

As a side note, after reading this thread I ended up with AR500 Lightweight level 3+ ASC plates. Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread and shared your info. Take care.

WTB cheap/used AK MFER.
Old 06-28-2018, 9:44 AM
Calguns Addict

On sale here

http://www.galls.com/shellback-tacti...-plate-carrier
Old 08-03-2018, 9:13 AM

Default Vest Project finally DONE

I fished out an old tac vest from storage that I thought Was lost from past move.. I thought about selling it for a few bucks as it was worn out, severely faded, and had no pouch attach system- slick, as well as no kevlar panels anymore.

Well, I decided to keep it and maybe use the hard plate pockets front and back for rifle range courses. It took me almost six months to find soft armor panels that would fit inside the carrier, and a vendor that was willing to attach the old- style snap/velcro pouch attach grid front, sides, and back for a reasonable fee..

Yesterday I got this old faded tac vest back from the dead, with Level IIIA panels, pouches, back in working order for $80 total (after buying/trading/re-selling parts and service). Now for a workout at an outdoor range in a heavy, hot, and old school body armor. Its even got that classic beat-up look in FDE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15D13A3B-7B28-4241-B938-263523C96360.jpg (14.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg A635E53E-F833-459A-95D0-567A4810A8DB.jpg (12.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by DCH; 08-03-2018 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: Missed to add info.