Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-09-2018, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
The big difference being, that if the rifle doesn't meet the guaranteed group size, will the manufacturer void the warranty if you didn't follow their recco'd procedure.

you are so caught up in this "group size guarantee" its not even funny!!

a little story...when i shot savages i had a 300wm...i had 1100 HOT rounds through the barrel...i called savage about something else...i think it was bolt parts...anyway i asked the guy the average round count on 110BA 300wm...he did not know but said send it back and they would put a new barrel on it FREE OF CHARGE...this was AFTER i told him there was 1100 HOT rounds through it and never once did he ask if id done the break in correctly.

my point is that ANY smith or factory will stand behind their gun and or work...a little more info to hopefully get you past this whole "group size guarantee" that you are so hung up on....ive had 3 bad barrels out of 24-25 barrels...2 were chambered by gun smiths one was a criterion prefit.

barrel #1...30" 6.5 criterion prefit in 260rem....i shot 600 rounds through this barrel it would not shoot anything better than 3/4"-1" at 100yds...i had my smith cut 4" off it and shot 200 more rounds through it with the same results...i called criterion to tell them and they offered to replace it AFTER i told them id had it cut and re-crowned.

barrel #2...krieger blank chambered by my smith in 260rem...shot like a laser until 850 rounds at which point it started throwing flyers...called krieger,sent it back and 2 weeks later had a new blank.

barrel #3 bartlein chambered by my smith in 6mm creed moore 640 rounds started throwing BAD flyers...3 different known good shooters shot this one at a match with the same results...2-3 in a 1" groups at 550 then flyers 3'-4' left or right...end result...same as krieger....new blank in 30 days.

again the point is that 99% of the ppl in the gun business stand behind their products...if they didnt they wouldnt be in business long or they wouldnt do much business...also almost all of those guarantees you see are 3 shot guarantees.

also most guns are more accurate than the ppl shooting them are...case and point...my smith build a 6CM for a guy...guy shoots a match and says gun shoots great out to 550yds past that it will not shoot...smith gets the gun back takes the same 108g hornady match ammo and shoots 2 5 shot groups at 760yds...one is just under 4" the other is just over 4".
Old 06-09-2018, 4:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal147 View Post
Sorry, I did not post the link for your enjoyment or approval.
I thought you posted it so we could be better informed about barrel break in.
That guy needs to go to a Benchrest match and learn about shooting.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 06-09-2018, 4:56 AM
Calguns Addict

If you put a new barrel on just about any action it is usually hard to get a group as big as 1 inch.
That is just how much difference there is between a factory barrel and a good barrel.
If someone posts they put a custom barrel on a 700 action in 6PPC 6 BR 6 Dasher 30 BR 308 300WSM and it is shooting 1 inch groups the rings mounts and scope are the first place to look because it is actually difficult to get one of those chamberings to shoot that poorly.
During load development on a 6BR it is hard to get a 1 inch group at 100 yards with your powder charge varying 2-3 grains.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 06-09-2018, 5:27 AM

UNLESS its a bad barrel Lynn...my smith just this week has a 6BRX brux with 600 rounds through it that is throwing 2-3" flyers at 100yds...checked everything same thing...different scope same thing...ive personally seen that barrel shoot 2" groups at 850yds...115g DTACs...105g berger hybrids...108g bergers all the same thing.

he has shot brux barrels for 20yrs and has never had a bad one...he threw on another 6BRX barrel with 700 rounds through it with the same go to load and its back to 1 hole at 100yds and 2" at 760yds....some barrels DO go bad before their time.

Last edited by longrange1; 06-09-2018 at 5:31 AM..