Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 04-16-2018, 8:09 PM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: (34.2283° N, 118.5358° W), (33.6700° N, 117.7800° W)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Rock View Post
Thank you . Will it be ok to run a Maverick 88 stock bolt on my 590A1? This is actually bumming me out. Expensive shotgun shouldn’t have this stupid problem.

Quote:
Pictures from when I first took it out of the box.
Actually do you have an extra flat washer? If so, that should tighten up with the 590A1 bolt. I had to do that on mine.

590A1.jpg
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
It’s always seemed to me absurd that you make 100% of the people to do something, in order to make sure that 1 or 2% of the people don’t behave badly.
-Milton Friedman

Last edited by meno377; 04-16-2018 at 8:16 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 8:11 PM

my 590A1 is my go to.
never had a problem. and its a tank.
Old 04-16-2018, 8:13 PM

didnt know they made the mariner in the 590A1
Old 04-16-2018, 8:38 PM
小さな女性

Quote:
Originally Posted by sMp View Post
didnt know they made the mariner in the 590A1
Yep. Riflegear is out of stock but they were selling them.

https://www.riflegear.com/p-6692-mos...cyl-choke.aspx
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
It’s always seemed to me absurd that you make 100% of the people to do something, in order to make sure that 1 or 2% of the people don’t behave badly.
-Milton Friedman
Old 04-16-2018, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno377 View Post
Actually do you have an extra flat washer? If so, that should tighten up with the 590A1 bolt. I had to do that on mine.

Attachment 699580
Shotgun is looking good there meno377. I will try the extra flat washer. Thank you.

Quote:
Fernando became an American the courageous way. By outrunning the speed boat.
Old 04-16-2018, 9:45 PM

Didn't think the wood would look good, but man yeah that's pretty great!
Let us know if the flat washer works
Old 04-17-2018, 1:48 AM
小さな女性

Quote:
Shotgun is looking good there meno377. I will try the extra flat washer. Thank you.
Just to be clear, I have three washers total. One lock and two flat washers.
Quote:
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
-Milton Friedman
Old 04-17-2018, 7:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just to be clear, I have three washers total. One lock and two flat washers.
Thanks again meno. I emailed Mossberg yesterday, before I told you guys about the wobbly stock. Told them what was going on and they emailed me back this morning. They will be sending me a new bolt. I am still going to try the extra flat washer today, I will try the new bolt when I get it. While I was asking for a replacement bolt I asked Mossberg when my shotgun was made. July 2017 is what they told me.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2018, 8:22 AM

Get the extension I posted earlier in the thread with the wood furniture and you are going to have one gorgeous shotgun. I'm kind of jealous now. *sigh* Thanks for a reason to spend more money OP.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Hey OP! Very nice.
Before you go any further with the dress up you really need to go shoot it and burn ammo thru it. These shotguns are grinders. Shoot the crap out if it and it'll ask for seconds etc..
A case of target/clays ammo will go fast!

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strakill View Post
Get the extension I posted earlier in the thread with the wood furniture and you are going to have one gorgeous shotgun. I'm kind of jealous now. *sigh* Thanks for a reason to spend more money OP.
Thanks strakill. I will look into that extension. Yes sir FeuerFrei, that is the plan. Going to burn through about 300 rounds of 00 Buck I picked up last year. That should break it in some.

Quote:

Last edited by Brown Rock; 04-17-2018 at 10:50 AM..
Old 04-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Well, maybe just 100 rounds of 00 Buck. I’ll pick up a couple of those 100 round packs of birdshot. Don’t want to burn through all of my 00 Buck ammo.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2018, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, maybe just 100 rounds of 00 Buck. I’ll pick up a couple of those 100 round packs of birdshot. Don’t want to burn through all of my 00 Buck ammo.
Yes! That's what I'm talking about.!

"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-17-2018, 6:22 PM
小さな女性

Quote:
Thanks again meno. I emailed Mossberg yesterday, before I told you guys about the wobbly stock. Told them what was going on and they emailed me back this morning. They will be sending me a new bolt. I am still going to try the extra flat washer today, I will try the new bolt when I get it. While I was asking for a replacement bolt I asked Mossberg when my shotgun was made. July 2017 is what they told me.
When I put the second flat washer on it was only another 1/16th inch if that to make it tight. Let us know if the new bolt is actually a different length. I believe for me it was about the difference where they mount the stop between the two stocks. Which appears to be 1/16th.
Quote:
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
-Milton Friedman
Old 04-17-2018, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
When I put the second flat washer on it was only another 1/16th inch if that to make it tight. Let us know if the new bolt is actually a different length. I believe for me it was about the difference where they mount the stop between the two stocks. Which appears to be 1/16th.
Extra washer didn’t help. I think this bolt is junk. Hope the new one works better, or I’m sticking with the Maverick 88 bolt.

Quote:
Old 04-20-2018, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Took the Mariner out to pink gate today. I am not very happy right now. Shotgun is having trouble extracting spent shells. I have one still in the chamber. Is this an ammo problem, or extractor? Ammo is Suprema 00 Buck from Walmart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96A22B20-AA7E-4CBF-8455-CBAEE078BEB2.jpg (11.5 KB, 23 views)

Quote:

Last edited by Brown Rock; 04-20-2018 at 12:07 PM..
Old 04-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

On that last shell I had to bump the stock on the ground to get it to open.

Quote:
Old 04-20-2018, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Ok this problem might be my fault. I never cleaned and oiled the gun before I fired it for the first time. I will clean it and oil it and give it another go in a few days.

Quote:

Last edited by Brown Rock; 04-20-2018 at 12:04 PM..
Old 04-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Too little info & testing to give good advice. So here's a wag;
Switch ammo for something else and different brands. Eliminate the obvious first.
Pre-flight the shotgun before your next session. (always before you use a new to you firearm)
OEM rust inhibitor crap still in the chamber etc.. Gums things up.
Bring lube to the range.
*In my experience with 590/500 I have found them to ready to shoot regardless of how much crap accumulates in them. Keep it lubed and snake the barrel before you hang it up.

-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-20-2018, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Took the Mariner out to pink gate today. I am not very happy right now. Shotgun is having trouble extracting spent shells. I have one still in the chamber. Is this an ammo problem, or extractor? Ammo is Suprema 00 Buck from Walmart.
I have not had that problem with any of my Mossbergs. If a good cleaning doesn't take care of it then Mossberg will take care of it.

One thing to keep in mind the Suprema is IMHO a cheap sh@t brand however I still haven't had a problem in my 590's or my 590A1, or my 500's or my 535 on and on. I have ran mine dirty as all he!!. The hulls could be expanding further than normal and that would cause problems.

Clean it up and use the same shells and see what happens.
Old 04-20-2018, 2:09 PM
小さな女性

Quote:
Ok this problem might be my fault. I never cleaned and oiled the gun before I fired it for the first time. I will clean it and oil it and give it another go in a few days.
The mariner 590A1 is tight. Just go out and shoot it more and put a drop of oil on the channels where the action tubes ride on. I think the finish of the mariners make them tighter than other 500 590A1s. I have quite a few mossbergs and both the 590 and 590A1 mariners I have are both tight.
Quote:
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
-Milton Friedman
Old 04-20-2018, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like that new replacement bolt from Mossberg doesn’t work.
The old bolt screws in some and then stops. This new bolt doesn’t even turn. Maverick 88 bolt still works though . I think I’m going to contact Mossberg and tell them about the issues I am having. If they want me to ship it to them, cool. Another member on here mentioned having the same exact issues on his 590A1 Mariner. He said it locked up when shooting heavy loads like 00 Buck. They replaced his barrel and magazine tube.

Quote:
Old 04-21-2018, 6:08 AM
小さな女性

Quote:
Looks like that new replacement bolt from Mossberg doesn’t work.
The old bolt screws in some and then stops. This new bolt doesn’t even turn. Maverick 88 bolt still works though . I think I’m going to contact Mossberg and tell them about the issues I am having. If they want me to ship it to them, cool. Another member on here mentioned having the same exact issues on his 590A1 Mariner. He said it locked up when shooting heavy loads like 00 Buck. They replaced his barrel and magazine tube.
Inspect the threads closely on the original, maverick, and the new bolt. It's odd that one bolt would work yet another doesn't if the threads all look the same. Also you had the original stock with the original bolt installed, try that again. Are the lengths exactly the same between the three bolts? If they are, something doesn't make sense. I think it may be either cross threading or the bolt that you say stops, try a little more strength to turn it more.
Quote:
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
-Milton Friedman

Last edited by meno377; 04-21-2018 at 6:11 AM..
Old 04-21-2018, 8:05 AM
Veteran Member

OP
Try to chase the threads with new/original bolt while leaving stock off.
You'll get a better idea of what's going on.
There may be thread locker in there.??
For testing purposes you can improvise a washer with aluminum foil wrapped under the bolt head.
Acts as a spacer.

-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-21-2018, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Inspect the threads closely on the original, maverick, and the new bolt. It's odd that one bolt would work yet another doesn't if the threads all look the same. Also you had the original stock with the original bolt installed, try that again. Are the lengths exactly the same between the three bolts? If they are, something doesn't make sense. I think it may be either cross threading or the bolt that you say stops, try a little more strength to turn it more.
I think it is cross threading. The threads on the 590A1 look a little rough. Not that bad, but there is something wrong there. That new bolt they sent me works perfectly on the 88. So I now have a the 88 bolt on the 590A1, the new bolt on the 88, and the original 590A1 bolt is not being used. I’m going to call them on Monday.

Quote:
Old 04-21-2018, 8:13 PM

My 590A1 purchased in 2012 was new and cleaned prior to use. Not a mariner. Never experienced extraction issues. In fact the opposite.. very positive extraction. But the original military finish is different from the mariner. Could that make a difference? Doubtful Mossy QC has gone downhill like so many others.
Old 04-22-2018, 7:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
My 590A1 purchased in 2012 was new and cleaned prior to use. Not a mariner. Never experienced extraction issues. In fact the opposite.. very positive extraction. But the original military finish is different from the mariner. Could that make a difference? Doubtful Mossy QC has gone downhill like so many others.
Maybe it is the Marinecote that is causing the shells to stick? I contacted the other member on here about his 590A1 Mariner. He said it took Mossberg two tries to get it fixed. 10 weeks the first time and 3 weeks on the second. From reading their return policy I have to pay for shipping?

Quote:
Old 04-22-2018, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Couple of pictures of the stuck shell. I had to smack the butt of the stock on the ground to get the action open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B2775D20-51EE-41CD-8AA5-C54B6C875E55.jpg (8.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg B5F2B8CE-BBF4-41BE-9E83-21813E3BE38D.jpg (9.3 KB, 13 views)

Quote:
Old 04-22-2018, 1:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I've owned or own about 3 Marinecote Mossberg shotguns and versions like that from Winchester and Remington and Ithaca and none had/have that problem. All were purchased used though. Maybe they require break in?
Old 04-22-2018, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I've owned or own about 3 Marinecote Mossberg shotguns and versions like that from Winchester and Remington and Ithaca and none had/have that problem. All were purchased used though. Maybe they require break in?
Sold my Maverick 88 today. While doing the ppt at Turner’s I spoke to one of the guys there. Told him about my problem and he said I needed to do a proper cleaning and oiling. He said had this been an 870 I would have broken the extractor. I don’t know, I’ll do what he says and try it again.

Quote: