Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > O.C. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 7:56 AM

Default Legal (free) outdoor shooting in So.Cal.?

Where is the closest place to go BLM shooting from OC CA?
I used to go to Texas Canyon up by Magic Mountain back in the day.
Somebody told me there was public shooting off the 15 freeway just before Barstow. Does anyone have any info on this?
Newbie here. Search did not come up with anything.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 AM
CGSSA Leader

Closest to OC is east of Corona. East of the 15, south of Cajalco. Invest in a GPS and some BLM maps of the areas you are interested in. Many of those BLM plots are very small and if you cross an arbitrary line on a map, you can get into trouble.
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

Get your Carry License!!
Old 02-12-2013, 2:45 PM

Thanks for the info.
i went onto the BLM website but it is confusing.
Old 02-12-2013, 4:34 PM

I'm in the same boat. I am in Aliso Viejo and want to go outdoors and shoot long distance. I downloaded new App from Turner outdoors, it is $6.99. Still, I would have to double and triple check. I would not want to get handcuffed or get my guns taken away due to shooting in the wrong place. Let me know how you make out.
Old 02-13-2013, 6:47 AM
CGSSA Leader

I tried a few different map overlays for my Garmin and none worked very well, so I stick with the paper maps and just cross reference the two. Let me know if you find one that works!
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

Get your Carry License!!
Old 02-13-2013, 7:06 AM
Banned

Hodge Rd. South of Barstow west of the Freeway. You cant miss the mess
Old 02-15-2013, 12:39 AM

I'd be interested in finding a good spot that's free, safe and legal. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-17-2013, 1:21 PM

Same here.

I was told horse canyon rd off the 2. According to the BLM maps there are many places labeled "shooting of firearms permitted for lawful hunting, target shooting in designated areas only" All along the 15 past where the 215 and the 15 meet. From cleaghorn all the way up to oakhills.

Hopefully someone can chime in with more specifics.
Old 02-17-2013, 2:39 PM

you can go up 15N to hodge road, go left and i'm telling you, you cant miss the mess of shotgun shells and target trash and such litering the land. i went out there this morning for the first time and i am ashamed to be associated with some of the people i saw out there. I got laughed at when i brought out my bucket and started picking up other peoples shotgun shells! no one out there has any sense of safety...with that said, if you go out there, dont shoot where everyone else is shooting, go off to the left of the area to the other hill side and shoot over there. less morons shooting there 10/22's at steel targets while your down range.
Old 02-26-2013, 4:34 PM

Steel Peak is a good spot but make sure you clean you junk! Ive seen some Calguns signs up there to, they clean the spots which we should be doing anyway.
Old 03-04-2013, 8:29 PM

found this link. thought it might help

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/recshoot.pdf.pdf
Old 03-05-2013, 6:41 PM

I have been shooting multiple times off of Stoddard Wells (or is it Canyon?) or Hodge Rd. Its the same place and you can enter off of the 15 (its Hodge road there) or National Trails Highway (route 66)....thats where i get my kicks...oooooo bada bing! Anyway Ive been out there multiple times. Ive seen that place almost packed where it was hard to find a safe shooting place and i just went at the end of February and there was NO ONE! Heard a few shooters in the distance but Ive never seen it that empty. I have never been hassled/pulled over by authorities there. And I think they would if they wanted becuase they fly planes to catch speeders, so I know they can see us sitting still, shooting, watching....bastards! All in all its a fun place to shoot, just make sure you pick up all your trash! or we wont have a place to shoot! Thank you.
Old 03-05-2013, 7:23 PM

Years ago I used to shoot off 1N09 off 330 up to Big Bear. I know they close it regularly to shooting, supposedly due to fire risk. I believe it is closed currently.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:37 PM

I used to shoot off of Lake Street off of the 15 fwy by Lake Elsinore. Just drive up the mtn road a couple miles and there were a few commonly used shooting areas. Unfortunately some idiots were stealing cars and burning them back there, so they blocked off the whole damn road to the public.. I'm in Costa Mesa and looking for another spot without having to drive to Egypt, if you could PM me and hook up a secret spot that would be awesome!

Thanks,
Dan
Old 03-29-2013, 9:04 AM

A friend went last weekend off the 15 near canyon lake. That may be the lake street off-ramp you are referring to.
I will get more info and post when i find out.
P.S. I have been to Field Time in Stanton a few times. This is an awesome place and has (expensive) reloads for sale
Old 04-01-2013, 7:20 AM

Off the 15 at Hodge Road is all I know... I'd love more input from others who may know more, I hear about Calico being pretty good.
Old 04-09-2013, 2:58 PM

unfortunatly the only BLM land is north ,north west or north east of Barstow.i go to Feild road or Afton road about 25-30 miles north of barstow maybe more or east of Palm Springs along the 10 frwy
you can go to calico also which gets a little crwoded sometimes beleive it or not
Old 04-14-2013, 4:06 PM

Default Is it OK for rifle shooting at Hodge road BLM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky_0811 View Post
you can go up 15N to hodge road, go left and i'm telling you, you cant miss the mess of shotgun shells and target trash and such litering the land. i went out there this morning for the first time and i am ashamed to be associated with some of the people i saw out there. I got laughed at when i brought out my bucket and started picking up other peoples shotgun shells! no one out there has any sense of safety...with that said, if you go out there, dont shoot where everyone else is shooting, go off to the left of the area to the other hill side and shoot over there. less morons shooting there 10/22's at steel targets while your down range.
My friends and I shoot at Hodge road couple of times before, but someone just told me that, that place only allows shotgun, not for rifle. Can anyone clarify what allow and what is not allow there please.