Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 8:35 AM

Default The truth about Turner's.

A little background. I've lived in the Southern California region since my family moved here from the midwest in 1982. I've shopped at Turner's since about 92'.

I've been good friends with many employees from several stores.

My point isn't to jump on the hate-Turner's-bandwagon but to simply inform the public of Turner's practices. If anything I say here is not true I invite whoever responds for Turner's to respond publicly here.

Some things that bother me...and should you too:

Spiff. Turner's does not pay it's employees commission. Instead they pay them spiffs. Industry wide, spiffs are known as the shady little brother of commission. Here's why. When I go into a store I'm fine knowing that an employee will get a small amount of his/her sale on whatever item I choose to buy (commission). However, at Turner's. Employees are only paid spiff on certain items. So in turn, you get employees that push certain items not because they are the best, or even suit your need, but because there's money behind it. Employees should be paid commission so as to ethically guide consumers toward the best choice of product and still be rewarded for there sale.

Second to that is pay. Generally speaking, most employees are making minimum wage. Turner's will NEVER reach another level of this industry doing this. I implore you to go to an In-N-Out burger and find unhappy employees and poor service. You won't. Why? Because they start employees off at $10/hr. They value their employees and understand that they are the backbone of the organization. Turner's pays most employees $8.50 and then expects them to push spiffed product to make more money.

Attitude. Generally speaking, Turner's is still filled with know-it-all, I'm too good to help you attitudes. Over the years like I've mentioned earlier I've made many lifelong friends of Turner's employees, but the majority are still the typical firearms employee of Turner's. Yes there are a few exceptions worth mentioning at the moment: Brian at Orange, the young guy with glasses at Signal Hill, a few of the guys at Norwalk, most of the Huntington Beach crew.

Inconsistency: Back to In-n-Out. You expect the same quality from store to store. Even on the off menu stuff. I took three months to pay off a very expensive shotgun at the orange store in November of 2011. Everyone there was very accommodating about it. However, when I was in HB last week, I was told i'd only be given 30 days on a layaway. We want the same menu and same service at every store.

Turner's is the Walmart of the firearms industry. They damage the sales of mom and pops, while providing cheaper prices and crappy service. Forget about the $20 or so you'll save at Turner's and try to price-match elsewhere. Somewhere a little more ethical, a little more in tune with the industry and that cares a little more about it's employees.

/rantoff
Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noshida View Post
Employees should be paid commission so as to ethically guide consumers toward the best choice of product and still be rewarded for there sale.
i didnt read the whole thing as it was pretty long but i totally disagree with this statement

ive worked in retail and a commission driven employee will push for the more expensive stuff because of the percentage they will get back.

so i dont agree that if turners gave commission that the employees would ethically guide consumers towards whats best for the consumers needs.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 AM

If you dont like what/how they sell, then dont go there.
If you dont like what they pay employees, then dont work there.
The rest of us are just glad to have a chain of gun stores here in CA.

Dillon reloading basics Vids here

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=190727
Old 10-10-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdeslitx View Post
ive worked in retail and a commission driven employee will push for the more expensive stuff because of the percentage they will get back.
And that's better than pushing toward only specific high priced product how? At least with commission it's paid on all high priced items. With spiff, the employee hopes/pushes you toward only the ones with spiff.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
And that's better than pushing toward only specific high priced product how? At least with commission it's paid on all high priced items. With spiff, the employee hopes/pushes you toward only the ones with spiff.
never said it was better...if it was up to me i wouldnt have commission or spiff
this way the employees could actually HELP the consumer instead of pushing for items because they get money back from it
Old 10-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

So with a whole 2 posts count to your name you came here just to troll about Turner's or are you a regular member here that does not have the balls? Please, Turner's has been serving So. Cal for a loooooong time. Have all of my experiences with Turner's been perfect? Of course not, but neither have my experiences elsewhere. I could really give a crap how much they pay their people or if they utilize incentives, that is their business, not mine.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 AM

I disagree with your Walmart statement, more like PepBoys. If you have ever been there you know what i mean.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Calguns Addict

My complain shave largely been due to corporate policies not individuals. Their new POS computer system, the number of people on duty at a given time, or their hours. Not the fault of a salesperson.

BUT.... recently at Turner's there was no one at the counter. I looked over the used guns and found a real deal. I mentioned to the salesman that the price was great but I will leave it for another person, it is a good deal but not MY deal. Then I check out the ammo.

A minute later I see the salesman take the deal of a gun out of the case. Another salesman says, "Are you buying it?" other guy says "Damn straight" as he waves the gun up in the air like the prize it is. Then he vanishes into the back room with it.

This makes me feel that good deals are now for the employes, not the customers.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule .308 View Post
So with a whole 2 posts count to your name you came here just to troll about Turner's or are you a regular member here that does not have the balls? Please, Turner's has been serving So. Cal for a loooooong time. Have all of my experiences with Turner's been perfect? Of course not, but neither have my experiences elsewhere. I could really give a crap how much they pay their people or if they utilize incentives, that is their business, not mine.
true that i appreciate what turners does with their weekly specials and calguns specific specials

i know it wasnt towards me when you were talking about trolling but i just want to reiterate that im not trolling

his comment about spiff and commission just seemed off to me thats why i responded
Old 10-10-2012, 11:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

While not disagreeing with the OP, as I have no knowledge of their compensation policies, this does explain some of the experiences I've had, both good and not so good at this establishment. I regularly go there for supplies - targets, some low volume ammo some cleaning supplies - and I'm sure they are profiting off me very well, and will continue to do so when I need something that instant. I am pleased that they are around and hope they stay around.

Since they have 14 stores ( per the web) they clearly know how to run a business in this competitive landscape - bravo to them. What I wonder is how they are responding and positioning themselves to their competition.

Online ammo sales - I recently gave them the opportunity to come down on price on ammunition they didn't need to match but 5% off when the online was 20% cheaper without sales tax was not acceptable.

Small high service establishments without the overhead of 14 stores -
I've made most of my purchases though smaller high service FFL's - I've possibly paid more on average maybe $100 per purchase - but then I've gotten answers to all my questions via phone or e-mail and recommendations on solutions to issues I've had. The establishment I've dealt with as well does custom orders no problem.

Online retailers like Cabelas and Amazon... when I anticipate the need I can order and save significant amounts, as an example I wanted to try a bore snake - none in stock in my caliber at the store - online retailer in stock shipped two days and 8 dollars cheaper per snake.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdeslitx View Post
never said it was better...if it was up to me i wouldnt have commission or spiff
this way the employees could actually HELP the consumer instead of pushing for items because they get money back from it
Haha, this made me laugh.

Thinking an average worker is more likely to help if they were not on commission. Hahahahahahahahah
Old 10-10-2012, 1:23 PM
CGN Contributor

It wont be long before a Turners representative reads this and figures out that the OP either works for another gun store (probably) or is just a troll. Really OP, your firt post and you expect people to take you seriously.
Old 10-10-2012, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammerOfTruth View Post
It wont be long before a Turners representative reads this and figures out that the OP either works for another gun store (probably) or is just a troll. Really OP, your firt post and you expect people to take you seriously.
I dont work for another gun store. And id love a turner's rep on here to answer my accusations.
Old 10-10-2012, 1:50 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm doing a transfer at the Corona location off McKinley at 4:30 -

I'll report back my experience...
Old 10-10-2012, 1:57 PM

probably a former turners employee. i bought one gun there and i would gladly go back. they had great service and knowledgable staff at least at the one i went too. along with no hassle for add ons or anything crazy
Old 10-10-2012, 1:57 PM
Calguns Addict

OP,

Welcome to Calguns, glad this site is here so you could get that off your chest.

Don't grind to hard, you will wind up with no ax left.

Old 10-10-2012, 2:19 PM

I don't think the staff gets paid nearly enough. They deserve more because I'm an *****Hole. Seriously though, I enjoy Turners, but wish they carried more quality items. Their scopes suck, they have hardly any quality parts and accessories. As for the splifs, I bet that somes from the crappy Ruger stuff they always have on sale. I'm an not a huge Ruger fan as I think all Ruger firearms are ****...well, maybe except the 10-22. All in all, I will return and keep going back. However, they are not Walmart as their prices are usually higher than all the competition.
Old 10-10-2012, 4:40 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I dont work for another gun store. And id love a turner's rep on here to answer my accusations.
Oh, so now they are "accusations". And here I thought you just wanted to share some information with the rest of us.
Old 10-10-2012, 4:53 PM
Calguns Addict

For the most part I could give 2 rats a**ses about there employees or there attitudes, if the store has something I want for the price I want it for then I will buy there if not I wont simple as that!

I just feel bad for the people that DONT do there own research and expect employees of a chain store to direct them into making a choice that they should have researched them selves.

Furthermore, if Turners wants to pay there employees one way or another is there business not mine.

They are not the only players in town. 90% of the items sold there are way over priced anyway so I don't know why people shop there in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I think this thread needs a rest…..
Old 10-10-2012, 5:08 PM

I am very happy with the safe I purchased from Turners and the ammo I bought from Walmart.
Old 10-10-2012, 5:20 PM

I have a Beretta in jail at Turners right know. this is my second gun from this store, last one was about 5 years ago (10/22). I didn't have a problem 5 years ago, i'll let you know how it goes this time. I will say that i didn't count on the sales person to help me make my choice i did my own research and only expected them to complete the paper work correctly and to pay a good price. I did ask the guy if he could give me the normal on sale price $499 vs $539 even tho it was not on sale at the time, and he did after asking the manager. I'll let you know in about 5 days.
Old 10-10-2012, 5:33 PM

I am happy with Turners in Norwalk, they have treated me well on all 3 of my rifle purchases. Same goes for the two co workers I referred and purchased several guns now. One does wish their layaway was longer though.
Old 10-10-2012, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

Did a PPT on 2 long guns at the old Torrance store and it was the longest pain in the butt transaction, but by no fault of the guys behind the counter. Did a PPT recently at the Corona store, had never been there and would rather have been at Annie's, transaction was smooth, courteous, and pretty quick. They are no better or worse than any other gun store and they are a chain, not your local mom and pop, and you just are not going to get that kind of service.

Minimum wage, really? What business is it of anybodies but theirs what they pay their staff. Like working the back gun counter is a career? Get over yourself already and go troll somewhere else.
Old 10-10-2012, 5:57 PM

He must be a Damn EX Turners Employee! sorry if you got fired!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 PM

Corona Turners are good to go. Did a 20 min ppt and picked up a Ruger 10/22 for my boy. Also had a friend pick up a glock at sale price and then two days later Glocktoberfest. Larry gave my buddy the difference And he also got a S&W MP15 Sport. I treat the guys with respect and courtesy and they give back. Go in pissing on the floor and you get the same in return. These guys never push a particular spiffed product. Actually they try to push the whole rack on me. But most of the time I browse and try to decide what I can get away with. I am not going to lie and say I never had a bad experience. But just remember, these guys are trying to make a living just like you and I. They make mistakes and maybe have at a time spread FUD. But keep pushing and pissin and moaning and pretty soon you won't be able to buy guns. I prefer to keep the few FFL's we have open and running.

But what Yugo said hit it on the head, do your research. Find a gun you like and if they have it for the price you want get it. If not, don't take a ticket and keep it to yourself. I like Turners being 5 minutes from my house.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indobos72 View Post
I treat the guys with respect and courtesy and they give back. Go in pissing on the floor and you get the same in return.

But just remember, these guys are trying to make a living just like you and I. They make mistakes and maybe have at a time spread FUD. But keep pushing and pissin and moaning and pretty soon you won't be able to buy guns. I prefer to keep the few FFL's we have open and running.
"The gun has played a critical role in history...an invention that has been both praised and denounced...served hero and villain alike...and carries with it moral responsibility. To better understand the gun is to better understand history."
Old 10-11-2012, 3:21 AM
Banned

OP, do you still live at home with mom & dad?

Seems like you're a little short on experience with how things work.

Turner's isn't any different than any other gun store.
Old 10-11-2012, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyruiz View Post
I am happy with Turners in Norwalk, they have treated me well on all 3 of my rifle purchases. Same goes for the two co workers I referred and purchased several guns now. One does wish their layaway was longer though.
I generally visit the signal hill location, and have always had good (if not slow) service there. The reason it's slow from my experience is that they ACTUALLY DO take the time to answer everyones questions...and the customers ask too many dang questions! lol. I recently made a purchase at the norwalk location, and was even more pleased witrh their service! Nothing bad about turners here. Just be patient and you'll get your time.

I dont care what they pay. I dont care about comission. I DO wish they had more counter people and a better computer system. Their prices are fair, if you want better, keep looking its out there. I will keep going until they do me wrong, like any place else.
Old 10-11-2012, 7:32 AM

Go with them until treated wrong. I asked Turners to price match on a firearm. It was $5 and was denied. I was told AMMO Bros isn't their competition. lol. Ok. Since then been buying from AMMO Bros. Haven't looked back. Great customer service. The manager knows who I am when I walk in. Is there better than AMMO Bros? I am sure will say yes. But, ill stay for now.

Back to complaint about commission. I doesn't bother me. I usually know 99% of the time what I want. So their opinion (which is never given to me) wouldn't effect me.

Storm Lake Conversion Barrel. XD357SIG - $100
Old 10-11-2012, 7:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyInSoCal View Post
I'm doing a transfer at the Corona location off McKinley at 4:30 -

I'll report back my experience...
Best experience I've had at a Turners yet -

28min total -

And they were pretty busy....
Old 10-11-2012, 9:22 AM

I have had a great experience at the Norwalk Turners. Mike always takes care of me and my bro (in the last 2 mos we have bought 11 pistols and rifles) since day one. I wanted to like ammo bros just cause everyone seems to love this place but, ehh. I felt like I was an outsider at a boys club or something. The two guys that I've tried to deal (at seperate times) with at ammo bros ignore me and talk to their buddies even though they were "attending to me" as they had called my number. Anyhow, I've always got the best deal at Turners and I've shopped around. BTW, no one is forcing the ee's to work there. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-11-2012, 9:37 AM

Never had issues with Turners Orange. Took a friend few weeks ago to buy his first handgun, the store was busy, but we were out of there in 30 minutes or less. Staff was very friendly and offered many times to help me as I was just waiting for my friend and browsing the guns. So I really don't know where the issue is with Turners...
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Calguns Addict

I've no problems and bought my scout rifle from them last year.
Very busy store though.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

OP, I'm going to state the obvious... if you have a better method of running a retail store, start one. Period. Or submit your resume with cover letter explaining all the great ideas you have that will benefit Turners.

Turners in general is very successful... the stores I frequent don't have lot of employee turnover (that I've noticed)... these two things indicate they are doing something right.

It seems as thought you might be a disgruntled employee (if so, I'm sure there's another view - from the corporation regarding your situation)...

if none of the above is accurate/relevant, I really don't see the point in this thread.

Quote:

My point isn't to jump on the hate-Turner's-bandwagon
with all due respect, yes it is. You created a user name the day you posted this thread - and all three of your posts are here. You had an agenda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
-----------------------------
Old 10-11-2012, 12:35 PM

I love going to Turners in Kearny Mesa, San Diego. Beto is awesome and so is Russ and the other guys. Would go there anytime to buy a gun.
Old 10-11-2012, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
OP, I'm going to state the obvious... if you have a better method of running a retail store, start one. Period. Or submit your resume with cover letter explaining all the great ideas you have that will benefit Turners.

Turners in general is very successful... the stores I frequent don't have lot of employee turnover (that I've noticed)... these two things indicate they are doing something right.

It seems as thought you might be a disgruntled employee (if so, I'm sure there's another view - from the corporation regarding your situation)...

if none of the above is accurate/relevant, I really don't see the point in this thread.

with all due respect, yes it is. You created a user name the day you posted this thread - and all three of your posts are here. You had an agenda.
^^^^This guy has got it pretty much covered OP.

And I don't think anyone from Turner's needs to respond to your charges.
Old 10-11-2012, 5:04 PM

Default Tuners is a pretty good store!

The Reseda one has the cheapest prices on ammo where I live as the only other stores that sells ammo locally is Big5. I have never bought a firearm from Turners but if they ever carry one that I am interested in I probebly would. Their prices on firearms are pretty competative. The only thing that is a burn is they are always so busy when I go there.
Old 10-11-2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon Loco View Post
The Reseda one has the cheapest prices on ammo where I live as the only other stores that sells ammo locally is Big5.
Head up to the Santa Clarita or Simi Valley Walmart. You can almost always find 9mm $12/50rd or less if they have Federal bulk packs in stock.

I've had bad experiences at the few local mom and pops and I can't say I've had better experiences at Ammo Bros.
Old 10-11-2012, 8:46 PM

Hey OP,

Brother, just delete this thread.

Turners has done nothing but great things for all my gun needs.

I shop at the Turners in Clairemont Mesa, and all those guys are awesome from Moe, Dee, Chris, Beeto, Russ, Jacob, KD, the list goes on. Every one of them has help me in some way or the other.

In fact one of them took time out of their busy schedule to help me find a particular model of a 1911 because it was sold out.

Can you believe that, a gun that they did not have stock on, he took time out of his day to help me find one, try to determine an eta, and at least help me place an order.

And that my friend is what I call fantastic customer service.
Old 10-11-2012, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

Two questions:

Have you ever owned a retail business?

Are you still in business?

You have a bad experience? Write it but don't try and prove your business acumen by explaining why a retail store has bad service.

Even if you're right, who cares? Either go there or don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
They want to be rulers. Well I don't effing want to be ruled, I want to be represented.