Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-19-2017, 9:29 PM

Default Remington 7615 Rifle (Any POST Firearm Instructors, weigh-in)

Anyone know if a Remington 7615P Rifle (pump action .223 that takes AR mags) would be accepted to be used in a POST approved rifle course in-lieu of an AR?

One would look similar to this...

Old 12-19-2017, 9:58 PM
Veteran Member

Why does someone want to take such a course with a pump action rifle? I'm assuming this would be as a personal rifle in lieu of a department rifle for someone who works for a department that doesn't issue them?

Oops, forgot to add... I am pretty certain the rifle has to be semiautomatic. If I remember tomorrow I will see if I can look up the exact regs..
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.

Last edited by CBR_rider; 12-19-2017 at 10:00 PM..
Old 12-20-2017, 5:10 AM

If you are referring to courses that meet POST 1081 and PC33220(b)...no.

The courses are meant to train officers on semi-auto and/or short barrel rifles. That rifle is neither.
Old 12-20-2017, 5:41 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Nope, wouldn't fly.
Old 12-20-2017, 8:02 AM
Calguns Addict

There used to be a course for patrol rifles, that included any type of action, and patrol carbine's that was geared toward semi's. I have not looked at the course catalog in a long time, your best bet would be to look at the course's available, call the agency running the course and ask them. I can assure you that in the course I ran and wrote way back in '99 you'd have a tough time with some of the speed and accuracy drills, with a pump.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

The last POST patrol rifle instructor class I took required semi autos, as did all of the others I was looking up at the time. There were AR15 variants, AR10 variants, M14/M1a, and a couple Mini 14's.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

IMO take what ever rifle your department issues/has in policy. If no rifle exists in policy, take an AR or mini-14.
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. Couldn't find a lot about them and POST. My department doesn't send/offer the class often and there's a long waitlist.

I don't have the ability to get a proper AR on loan for a class. Figured if I had one of these to take the class I could certify and have it in the car instead.
Old 12-20-2017, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

Went over all our training materials I could find... seems as already noted that for a semi-auto rifle course one must use a semi-auto rifle.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 12-21-2017, 6:54 PM

The technical answer is it depends on the presenter that offers the post certified course and what they have included in their expanded course outline. 1081 just lays out what minimum content needs to be included in a certified rifle course. It makes no mention of the style of rifle. Penal code 33220(b) just says to carry a short barrel rifle you need to complete a post certified course. Gotta remember, there are still depts who don’t give a crap about post and base decisions off legislative authority. Training becomes a tool to help mitigate liability exposure and increase officer proficiency. So, technically, if your department authorized you to carry it, you would not need to attend legislatively mandated specific training, but that would be a bad idea for a number of reasons and I can’t imagine a department would allow it.

There very well may be a course out there for you and that rifle, who knows. You’d have to dig through the course catalog and call some folks and ask. Just based on the design of my course and my content, you would never be able to complete the class with that rifle. I wouldn’t let you in.

You might be able to find a class, who knows. Lotta people don’t realize that the revolver is still included in the TTS for a basic academy. If an open/non-affiliated recruit showed with a revolver it’s not in and of itself a no-go. There are a lot of loopholes and tricks to post training. I’m reality, post guidelines are pretty vague and a lot is left up to the presenter.

But all that said, carry a shotgun and train with it. If you’re going to manually (pump) cycle rounds, I’d rather cycle 2,200 ft/lbs of energy instead of 1,400.

Last edited by GizmoSD; 12-21-2017 at 7:35 PM..
Old 12-21-2017, 10:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoSD View Post

But all that said, carry a shotgun and train with it. If you’re going to manually (pump) cycle rounds, I’d rather cycle 2,200 ft/lbs of energy instead of 1,400.
+1 amen brother!
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.