Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-13-2017, 1:44 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor

Default What free web hosting provider should I use?

Hi all,
I want to create a website to market myself as an accounting consultant. The page would be an extension of my LinkeIn page but with more details. I would not take payments on this site. It'll just be a marketing page. Where would I go to create this site?

2nd question: I also have a separate business idea unrelated to my accounting consultant business. This site would take payments. Where would I go to create this site? This will need a professional website developer, correct?

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-13-2017, 1:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Anything free in regards to hosting generally has some sort of banner or advertisements being ran off it. It tends to look extremely unprofessional and you have no control over the content they choose to display. You might be an accounting firm with H&R block ads being ran on your site.

You either pay or deal with the caveats because they need to make a bucks as well... that said, you can find affordable hosting, just don't expect free.

That said... I would look for a hosting provider that supports WordPress, and most of them do. Its a very easy platform to build informational websites, and you dont need to be an web designer to make it happen.

I used to be with Network Solutions for years but I find them expensive.

I recently bought a few domains from Namecheap, but I have used BlueHost and GoDaddy in the past as well.

GoDaddy was my least favorite.

Namecheap is becoming my new go-to. I like the prices.

As to your 2nd Question... I would start here and see if that product works for you. Its seems like a good options for simple e-commerce but I haven't used it yet.

https://www.squarespace.com/

If you do engage with a professional web developer (and not just some kid off Craigslist that knows enough to make a buck) you might be in for sticker shock...

Regarding cheap labor... my first website was made by "some guy" that just knew enough... the long term gains were poor. Eventually those guys go away, poor documentation, support fades, and your original investment will have to be thrown away for a refresh.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 09-13-2017 at 2:04 PM..
Old 09-13-2017, 2:09 PM
Calguns Addict

I recommend the cloud managed/hosted solutions like Squarespace or even the business tier of Wordpress.com. You should be able to throw something together fairly quickly on a cloud managed/hosted solution, and you can focus on the look and content, and not have to worry about maintaining the infrastructure. You can do all that yourself, or hire someone to set it up for you.

If you pay someone to do a full on web site design and build for you, and they go with self-managed hosting, this can come back to bite you depending on if you need changes, updates, fixes, etc. In the past, I was consulted on 'cleaning up' sites for people who had someone put together a site for them months or years prior. The sites were in broken due to deprecated functions (e.g. php), some injected with malware or malicious code, etc.

Even if you hire someone to setup your Squarespace or Wordpress.com environment, it is not to difficult to find someone else to jump back in and maintain it for you since there really isn't much proprietary work the prior person would do like in a self-managed / self-hosted environment.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 09-13-2017, 2:32 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor

Great, thanks for the advice ExtremeX, ocabj!
Old 10-12-2017, 3:34 AM
Manufacturer/Vendor
CGN Contributor

Most web hosting will let you host many different web pages/addresses.

Pay for one hosting, and host your marketing site plus or sales site. Just have to get both domains. Cheap like $20 a piece.
Old 10-12-2017, 3:41 AM
S/360 Changed The Game
CGN Contributor

Not sure how SSL protects files. It is used to encrypt conversations between a user and the site. To protect files you would need anti-virus software running on the server.
Old 10-12-2017, 3:44 AM
S/360 Changed The Game
CGN Contributor

You need to learn how to control your site using the hosting providers dashboard. Your developer only needs FTP access. Giving them full control would allow them to lock you out of your site.
Old 10-12-2017, 4:47 AM

Following. My business is hosted with GoDaddy and I need something else.
Old 10-12-2017, 7:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder2003 View Post
Not sure how SSL protects files. It is used to encrypt conversations between a user and the site. To protect files you would need anti-virus software running on the server.
No, you would want filesystem monitoring, not AV. OSSEC will give you some basic file monitoring. You could also go Tripwire, which is a true file integrity monitoring (FIM) tool.

AV isn't going to be effective in telling you if someone was able to webshell or otherwise get on the box and modify some files, or even drop a malicious payload.

You could go with something really advanced like true endpoint protection (e.g. FireEye HX in combination with FireEye NX+PX) but that's going to cost real money.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 10-16-2017, 1:21 AM

I use Godaddy
Old 10-16-2017, 4:09 AM
S/360 Changed The Game
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Following. My business is hosted with GoDaddy and I need something else.
What isn’t GoDaddy doing for you?