Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 01-07-2019, 10:52 AM

Default Need help. Scope mount selection

So I am picking up my tikka t3x tac a1 in 6.5 tomorrow which I am pairing with a new bushnell ers 3.5-21 which is shipping today. I am looking to purchase my scope mount today but I cant decide on whether to get the arc m-10 qd-l mount with a 20 moa or 30 moa. The scope has 29 (29.6 exactly) mils of adjustment. I know either mount will be fine but I am wondering if the 30 moa one is not necessary. The mounts are the same price. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

-Animal.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would certainly get a 20MOA mount at minimum. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor 24" barrel and to get me to 1 mile I needed about 25-26 mils of elevation and my scope just didn't have it, I was about 6-7 mils off even with a 20MOA base. Keep in mind it was a Kahles K624i which is no slouch as far as scopes go... it has 25.5 mils of total travel. Remember the total travel includes the "up" windage which most will ever use. I would be hard pressed to think you couldn't get a 30MOA base and still have a 100 yard zero. I just upgraded from a 20 to a 40MOA base to try and get a mile with no or minimal holdover. Even if you don't plan on shooting that far, there is no reason to waste the elevation travel on something you won't use. Get a mount that allows a 100 yard zero, but makes use of all the travel your scope can offer.
Old 01-09-2019, 8:35 AM
Calguns Addict

For this scope, a 20 MOA base would be sufficient.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up
Old 01-09-2019, 10:27 AM

I think 20 is plenty, but why do you plan to use a QD mount? Consistency is key in long range shooting. I don't trust that any QD mount will return to zero well enough.