Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:01 AM

Wink just applied for my 01 FFL in Tracy. ca

well I have to add that I just applied for my 01 FFL here in are little town TRACY. located in northern CA pretty much by the Bay Area. so I did lots of homework and finally made the choice to do a in home base. first off after looking carefully of the steps on you tube and how others did it. I did my business license first!!! I WAS APPROVED in a residential area. there is only 1 gun shop here and we are about 70k population. we are more of a traveling city since everyone works in the Bay Area and lives in the valley. so to me it made sense to do it I had to first file for a fictitious name thought the county of san Joaquin, then submit that to my city and then I had to file a in home occupancy business application and submit that to the city along with my business license application. bam in a matter of 4 days I was emailed a copy of everything I need. and business license also they are sending a copy in mail. but while doing all this I had already download the forms from the ATF website and filled them out and went over and over to make sure I didn't forget anything. I already have a COE from CFAR and I submitted it back on oct 6 2018 well for some reason the USPS took it sweet as time delivering my application to the ATF in there home state. I thing Georgia anyways when I checked my tracking number on the USPS website it finally arrived on oct 26 and the next day my credit card was charged. so now is a waiting game. I have not heard from them yet or mail nothing so I assume after seeing they have 60 days to approve to deny ,I can say I might hear from them before dec 26. I will keep you updated

( yes my business license say in exact words) "-STARTING A NEW FIREARMS BUSINESS. AMMO. USE AND. Firearms Sales-"

I do not know why it was worded that way but it is

also to add that I forgot to mention to get my license I also need to apply for a CA sellers permit. ( for tax reason obviously) and a EIN number to file if you do have to. anyways I did all that so there was no reason for them to turn me down. im with-in zoning and compliance of a legit business. IM OFFICIALLY A BUSINESS OWENR. lol

Last edited by mmaaka; 11-08-2018 at 10:03 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 10:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Awsome!

Now the bad news, you are only about 5% of the way to opening your business.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Awsome!

Now the bad news, you are only about 5% of the way to opening your business.

lol I agree. this is only being done to make a little cash. I already know there ant no retirement in this. but the joy of being able to buy my guns and sent to my home and hooking up my friends and family is purely awesome. but the real reason is to make profit just know I understand it won't be a lot. I just love firearms and working on them
Old 11-08-2018, 12:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaaka View Post
. this is only being done to make a little cash.
"Want to make a little cash in the gun business? Start with a lot of cash" -Kemasa

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Old 11-09-2018, 1:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acespawnshop View Post
"Want to make a little cash in the gun business? Start with a lot of cash" -Kemasa
Amen

So, now it is ironic that the State whittles away at the right of its citizens to defend themselves from the possible oppression of their State.
Judge Roger T. Benitez
LCM's ruled legal 3/29/2019
Old 11-09-2018, 1:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

At career day : "do you enjoy paperwork, audits from the federal and state governments, dealing with local licensing agencies and everchanging government regulations and legislation? Do you think that 10% is a fair mark up on your inventory? Do you love answering emails and questions from customers? Do you get excited at the thought of fines, license revocation, and or imprisonment for clerical errors? Then you might have what it takes to become a Federally licensed Firearms Dealer!!!!!!"

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!

Last edited by acespawnshop; 11-09-2018 at 1:39 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 2:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
At career day : "do you enjoy paperwork, audits from the federal and state governments, dealing with local licensing agencies and everchanging government regulations and legislation? Do you think that 10% is a fair mark up on your inventory? Do you love answering emails and questions from customers? Do you get excited at the thought of fines, license revocation, and or imprisonment for clerical errors? Then you might have what it takes to become a Federally licensed Firearms Dealer!!!!!!"

That is too funny but oh so true.

So, now it is ironic that the State whittles away at the right of its citizens to defend themselves from the possible oppression of their State.
Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 11-09-2018, 2:56 PM

Congrats and welcome to the entrepreneur club. Do not forget to incorporate, if it makes sense.
Old 11-10-2018, 8:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

At best for home based consider an LLC. Much less expensive.

Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 11-10-2018, 8:58 AM

Congratulations!!!
Old 11-11-2018, 8:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I really shouldn't get credit for that statement. While I have said it, I am only repeating what others have said.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 11-11-2018, 8:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Do you think that 10% is a fair mark up on your inventory?
Hmmm, I think many dealers would like to make 10%. It seems more like the old line of losing money on every sale, but making it up in volume. I have often heard around 5%, but then they get accused of gouging, and that does not even take into account overhead. It is always fun to do the receipt and see that while you do all the work, the government gets a lot more money than you do and you don't even get paid to collect the money for them.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 11-11-2018, 6:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
I really shouldn't get credit for that statement. While I have said it, I am only repeating what others have said.
Wow. That hurts. Next you’re going to ruin my childhood by telling me Santa was just my mom and dad.

Old 11-12-2018, 1:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Wow. That hurts. Next you’re going to ruin my childhood by telling me Santa was just my mom and dad.
I would never tell you that, the Easter Bunny would get very upset if I did.

Old 11-15-2018, 7:21 AM

thank you every one with the truth and praise. I soaked it all in.
Old 11-29-2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
thank you every one with the truth and praise. I soaked it all in.

Nice to see this happening in our little town!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2018, 9:28 AM

update 11/30/18 I spoke to a ATF in Virginia and look like they just processed my application on Nov 6th. that some bull. anyways after talking with her she was very nice and gave me answers to all my questions.
I was considering to change the application to a 07 from a 01 since I can do so much more. how ever I did my homework on the ITAR and I spoke with the CA DOJ regarding the the ITAR tax. I'm clear !!! so I pursued and change it and now has been processed and she sent a email today stating that my application is approved and will be forward here to the field office now I have to wait for them to contact me to do my interview
Old 12-01-2018, 12:40 PM

can anyone also help with explanation of obtaining a SOT2 along with the 07. as I see in other states people are paying for the NFA weapons and that where I could possibly sell them at like. gun brokers etc
Old 12-01-2018, 1:08 PM

in ca you’re not a gun dealer, you’re a compliance officer of the state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-01-2018, 11:52 PM

What did the DOJ tell you regarding ITAR tax?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:29 AM

the agent I spoke with said that I don't have to pay since I will not distribute over seas. however in the ITAR documents she provided via email that all it takes is one transaction and then I would fall under the line of having to pay the tax and so on
Old 01-04-2019, 12:45 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
the agent I spoke with said that I don't have to pay since I will not distribute over seas. however in the ITAR documents she provided via email that all it takes is one transaction and then I would fall under the line of having to pay the tax and so on
i would not rely on atf for itar info.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Old 01-07-2019, 2:56 PM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
update 11/30/18 I spoke to a ATF in Virginia and look like they just processed my application on Nov 6th. that some bull. anyways after talking with her she was very nice and gave me answers to all my questions.
I was considering to change the application to a 07 from a 01 since I can do so much more. how ever I did my homework on the ITAR and I spoke with the CA DOJ regarding the the ITAR tax. I'm clear !!! so I pursued and change it and now has been processed and she sent a email today stating that my application is approved and will be forward here to the field office now I have to wait for them to contact me to do my interview
When I was deciding between 01 and an 07 last year, I came to the understanding that if you're an 07 that you're subject to ITAR even if you don't actually export anything.

Quote:
can anyone also help with explanation of obtaining a SOT2 along with the 07. as I see in other states people are paying for the NFA weapons and that where I could possibly sell them at like. gun brokers etc
As I understand it, In California, in California an SOT (Special Occupational Tax) is really only good to be able to demo and traffic suppressors. Although an individual in Ca is not permitted to own a can, other FFLs can if they have an SOT and so can LE Agencies. You could also traffic them across state lines.

If you want to deal in machine guns, you'll need far more licenses / permits from CADOJ. Typically, when trafficking NFA items, a NFA Tax is due ($200) per item. With an SOT you pay one fee per year ($500?) in perpetuity, but you can traffic as many NFA items as you would like. The SOT Tax is due at the same time every year regardless of when you have it issued, so it would behoove you to get the timing right.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:58 AM

update.

so I finally had my interview with the local IOI. thank god. all went well he was at my house for about 1.5hr and was actually in a rush so that he can puck up his son.
personally I did not care. he did mention the ITAR turns out I might just have to pay the tax and register. but that was not going to stop me.
I already started a side business and been selling online made good profit with some items and broke even in others. but I'm finally finding what tends to sell more then others

anyways all went well however he said it is ok to get HAVE A SOT2 I REPEAT HE SAID YES WE CAN IN CALIFORNIA he said he personally does the inspections here in tracy and there is another FFL here that has there sot 2 since they sell NFA items online to other ffl stores.

well now is the waiting game I have a 07FFL which I'm going to have to wait in the mail which sucks since the HQ office has a **** load of backlogging now.

DAM!!!
Old 03-04-2019, 11:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Be careful and protect yourself. Your process sounds way more simple than mine. I am privileged to be friends of the previous DA of Los Angeles, and am friends with a board member of the NRA. They both coached me and the process still took 3 months, 2 LiveScans, 2 FD-258s, submitting my home floor-plan, meeting Sheriff-Coroner of Orange County, and a dozen forms.

Your process sounds frightening simple if I'm honest. If I were you, I'd consult a lawyer and protect yourself by finding a way to set up the business as an LLC.

P.S. If you do change to an LLC, you would need to ask about amending your FFL, or applying for another. They are person/location specific.
Old 03-04-2019, 8:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Don’t get the SOT. It’s not worth the $500 yearly.