Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-22-2017, 1:25 PM

Does anyone know what Ventura requires as far as notification goes when being pulled over?
Old 04-22-2017, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar10 View Post
Does anyone know what Ventura requires as far as notification goes when being pulled over?
You have no obligation to notify. But why risk it. The officer will appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2017, 1:54 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan76 View Post
You have no obligation to notify. But why risk it. The officer will appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Correct. The VCSDs requirement is you must present the license when requested by an officer.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 04-25-2017, 5:43 PM

Hard Card in hand. Finally. After the waits, picking it up was anti-climactic.

VCSD are super professional, just backlogged. So happy that the waiting is over. 10 months, end to end.
Old 04-25-2017, 7:50 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbgaijin View Post
End to end was 8 months. Not bad.
It's really sad that we have been conditioned to feel this way eh? There is no way it should take anywhere near that to be approved to be able to defend you and your family. Heck, I would have been happy with 8 months because it took me 13 months... but it should take about 20 minutes.

Congrats, I am glad you're finally through it.
Old 04-25-2017, 8:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
It's really sad that we have been conditioned to feel this way eh? There is no way it should take anywhere near that to be approved to be able to defend you and your family. Heck, I would have been happy with 8 months because it took me 13 months... but it should take about 20 minutes.
No, it should take ZERO minutes since having to ask permission to be able to defend yourself is a violation of your Constitutional Rights. If you are not prohibited, then you should be allowed.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 04-25-2017, 9:16 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Picked up my renewed CCW license(s) today.

3 Months, 28 days after submitting my renewal Application, and 1 Year 11 months, 28 days after picking up my original licence.

Good to go for another 2 years....
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 05-03-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ManyHobbies View Post
Turned in app, scanned: 4/12/2017

And now I wait. I was told "10 months". Based on recent feedback on this forum, that is likely to be frustratingly accurate!
I'm bumping up against almost exactly one year. Called for first appointment last July, my hard-card appointment is coming up in June.

Gonna be a looooooooooong month.
Old 05-03-2017, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noozeyeguy View Post
I'm bumping up against almost exactly one year. Called for first appointment last July, my hard-card appointment is coming up in June.

Gonna be a looooooooooong month.
Wait, what is the lead time on hard card?
Old 05-08-2017, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbur View Post
Wait, what is the lead time on hard card?
Sorry, just saw this.

My experiences may be atypical, because I have to shoehorn my appointments inbetween two jobs, but I completed my training first week of April, waited one week and called. Took about a week for the callback (missed the first one), and another week-and-a-half before I got a return callback. From there, the first appointment available was about 30 days out.

I don't know how long it takes for the hard card itself, but once I go in for my mugshot portrait sitting ID photo I'll post up.
Old 05-08-2017, 9:20 AM

Oh BTW, if this hasn't been posted yet:

Old 05-18-2017, 4:22 PM

Default Just got rejected.....

Signed up just to share my story here.

Applied in September last year. Live scan, application, etc. Waited and had my interview last month.

Background:

I am a reserve academy graduate. Former medic, no convictions. No domestic issues, haven't done any illegal drugs since high school. (almost 40 now) My wife works as an armed law enforcement officer for this same County. Her father is a retired Sheriffs Captain. One traffic infraction in the past fifteen years, no DUI, no issues with violence or aggression, no weapons contacts, no problems as far as I can see.

Interview:

Went well I thought. Very laid back. Spoke about my background and my wifes background. A few small things in my past. I was told that I would be approved and that I need to get enrolled into the course and that I would get my approval letter within a month. etc etc etc. The interview was casual and I was professional.

Now:

Received a rejection letter today signed by the Sheriff. Reference 'moral character'. Seeing as I did not lie on my background packet, I don't know what to think. The letter states that any questions should be referred to Capt. so-and-so with CCW. I call, no answer. Message left. I call the Detective who conducted the interview. His card has the CCW generic office number on it.

So, to put it simply, I jumped through the hoops, was told verbally that I was approved, no problem, and now rejected. Waiting on answers.

What a cluster. I requested this CCW for self defense and defense of my family and for good reason. (that aspect was not denied) My wife deals with some pretty violent people on a daily basis and we have seen some of the more aggressive ones out and about while with our child. We live in a small town so this is no joking matter. As dramatic as it may seem, this cluster may have just been a death sentence some day.

Come on Constitutional carry California......
Old 05-22-2017, 12:09 PM

Got the call today from Capt. So-and-so. I've got nothing to hide so I'll spill it all. Capt. so-and-so was apologetic and empathetic to my frustration over the phone but I was calm and respectful.

Reasoning: The only time I've ever been arrested (20 years ago) when a roommate was supposedly selling marijuana. I was taken in too. No charges, and I was let go the next day as I recall. Nothing was found in the common area or in my room. I didn't know what was going on. I was a kid trying to work enough to make rent. Bad choice for a roommate at the time on my part I suppose. All of this happened in another County here in California. All disclosed on my background packet.

That's it. I was specifically told that the arrest, no matter what the outcome, was the deciding issue. It wasn't a deciding issue with the background investigator who verbally approved me for CCW, it was the red flag that made Sheriff Dean stamp 'NO' on my final paperwork.

I am being judged immoral by the Sheriff of Ventura County for a crime I was arrested for, but did not commit, and wasn't charged for, and deny. Never mind that I've been an outstanding citizen with no issues of morality since then. How is this possible? How can they make a decision based on an accusation? I was pretty much told that as long as Dean is Sheriff, he will continue to stamp NO on my applications for the same reason. That could change with a different Sheriff.

Maybe I should hire Jonathan Birdt, though I hear he's not very good at filing paperwork as an attorney.

Any thoughts or input guys?

Last edited by Jeepguy79; 05-22-2017 at 12:39 PM..
Old 05-22-2017, 1:03 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy79 View Post
Ok, that blows.

If there is anything good that can be said to come out of this is that we now have an inkling of what the VCS looks at on the Morals clause side.

Sorry bro.

Old 06-08-2017, 6:25 PM

I figure this has been asked/discussed before in this thread, but I couldn't find an answer using the search function. Then again, maybe this is the wrong sub-forum?

Anyway, I keep hearing FIVE is the magic number of firearms you're allowed to have on your permit. (The deputy who interviewed me repeated this figure as I only had three on my application and he wanted to make sure I didn't want to add anything more before final processing.)

Is five the absolute limit to have on your CCW permit in Ventura? So if I want to add a sixth later I suppose I would have to remove one of the existing 'authorized' handguns. I re-read most of the application literature, but couldn't find that limit. After giving you room for three the application even says "Use additional pages if necessary." (Pages... plural, though submitting multiple pages of weapons may earn you a sideways glance from the Sheriff. )

Not that I can't live with five... honestly I don't even have five handguns that would make reasonable concealable options. (7 1/2 inch Colt SAA could be concealed, but I'd spend a lot of time standing or wearing heavy coats in the summertime, and reloading drills are a tad slow. ) This is more out of curiosity than anything.

My friend in Texas just laughs when he hears about all the rules we are requires to follow here in CA... I tell him I'm just happy I live in a county where having a CCW is something I can even imagine as a possibility.

Edited to clean up some grammar and to add this: Hey, my first real post! I've been reading Calguns so long I just assumed I must have posted something prior to this... but nope!

Last edited by Monkeypants; 06-08-2017 at 6:36 PM..
Old 06-08-2017, 7:46 PM

I've always heard the limit is 5. I don't see anything stated in the VCSO policy or application that indicates 5 is the max number. My hard card has 5 lines on it, it appears the Sheriff could add a 6th line to the card if they decided to.

I have weapons on my card that are not typical concealed options... I mean, who doesn't like have a 1911 in their center console? Or, who doesn't like driving to the range with everything ready to go.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Got the call today from Capt. So-and-so. I've got nothing to hide so I'll spill it all. Capt. so-and-so was apologetic and empathetic to my frustration over the phone but I was calm and respectful.

Reasoning: The only time I've ever been arrested (20 years ago) when a roommate was supposedly selling marijuana. I was taken in too. No charges, and I was let go the next day as I recall. Nothing was found in the common area or in my room. I didn't know what was going on. I was a kid trying to work enough to make rent. Bad choice for a roommate at the time on my part I suppose. All of this happened in another County here in California. All disclosed on my background packet.

That's it. I was specifically told that the arrest, no matter what the outcome, was the deciding issue. It wasn't a deciding issue with the background investigator who verbally approved me for CCW, it was the red flag that made Sheriff Dean stamp 'NO' on my final paperwork.

I am being judged immoral by the Sheriff of Ventura County for a crime I was arrested for, but did not commit, and wasn't charged for, and deny. Never mind that I've been an outstanding citizen with no issues of morality since then. How is this possible? How can they make a decision based on an accusation? I was pretty much told that as long as Dean is Sheriff, he will continue to stamp NO on my applications for the same reason. That could change with a different Sheriff.

Maybe I should hire Jonathan Birdt, though I hear he's not very good at filing paperwork as an attorney.

All you can do, and that's what I would do if I were in your shoes, is write a -- very well written -- letter to Sheriff Dean, giving your take on this, and ask him to reconsider. Enclose a letter from your LEO wife and ex-LEO father-in-law, testifying to your character. Then cross your fingers.
Old 06-09-2017, 7:47 PM

Got informed today that after Aug 1 2017. You will only be allow to add or remove a gun from your permit during your renewal. So add your new guns now. Oe you ha e to wait 2 years before you can add a new gun.
Old 06-10-2017, 8:43 AM

Hard card in hand. Only eleven months from call for first appointment to completion, lol.
Old 06-10-2017, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinktothat421 View Post
Got informed today that after Aug 1 2017. You will only be allow to add or remove a gun from your permit during your renewal. So add your new guns now. Oe you ha e to wait 2 years before you can add a new gun.
When I picked up my card Thursday I was told that amendments are closed *for now,* but that the Sheriff may reopen the system at some point in the future once they clear the backlog. Per the lady that processed my she said it was due in large part to adding off-roster guns to the permits.

I'm good with what I have now, in large part because it's all the over-.22LR handguns I own, lol.
Old 06-11-2017, 3:03 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Has anyone heard any estimates from VCSD personal of how many licenses VCSD has active? I asked when I renewed and the interviewing deputy said he didn't know, but that they had 150+ renewals active at the time.

I keep seeing between 3000 & 4000 as likely numbers based on the issuance rate but haven't seen anything else.

Old 06-17-2017, 7:28 AM

There are two cases pending in 9th against vcso based upon bs denials like jee-guy.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllMotaHatch View Post
dropped off my application and completed the LiveScan 1/27/2017. looking forward to updating in 10 months
Just scheduled my interview with Det. Bernzott on 7/24! happy to say its ONLY been 6 months!

Anyone have experience with Det. Bernzott?
Old 06-30-2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Has anyone heard any estimates from VCSD personal of how many licenses VCSD has active? I asked when I renewed and the interviewing deputy said he didn't know, but that they had 150+ renewals active at the time.

I keep seeing between 3000 & 4000 as likely numbers based on the issuance rate but haven't seen anything else.
My hard card was just issued in early June and the number is in the high-5000 range. That could be cumulative.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:52 PM

Default Hmmm

Hello All,
.. Just for your info., I received my CCW letter from the VC Sheriff.

The first paragraph states, in-part ...."an individual must either demonstrate or be able to articulate a necessity for the carry of a weapon as evidenced by a genuine threat to one's safety through no fault of the applicant."

Before I started this process, I understood that "personal security/protection" was sufficient "good cause".

I was denied based on 'lack of moral character' .... ??

I'm at a loss for a words ... i'll have to re-read the "second amendment" ?

I have a phone call into the Department for further explanation.

Best of Luck to all CCW applicants.

Ciao,
Old 07-11-2017, 1:37 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by green11 View Post
I'm at a loss for a words ... i'll have to re-read the "second amendment" ?

I have a phone call into the Department for further explanation.

Best of Luck to all CCW applicants.

Ciao,
That blows. Don't be at a loss for words, go read the Sheriffs good morals policy. CA law allows for Good Cause and Good Morals. Self defense is sufficient Good Cause (as per their written policy) but they have a list of examples of what they consider to be lack of good morals.

Old 07-20-2017, 1:13 PM

So I completed my CCW training on June 29 and called on July 3 (left a message) to set up my final appointment. So far no call back. I left another message and sent an email but no response. Is this normal? Getting a bit concerned as my background letter came on May 1 so my 90 days runs soon.
Old 07-20-2017, 1:33 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Call again. I had the same issue when I did my renewal. Call during working hours and get to a real person.

Old 07-20-2017, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Just scheduled my interview with Det. Bernzott on 7/24! happy to say its ONLY been 6 months!

He was my BG investigator. Super nice guy. Not in the 'I'm your buddy so you can tell me anything' background investigator way either.

He and I had a lot to chat about. My reserve academy days, my wifes work, etc. He approved my background packet just for it to get the kibosh by Sheriff Dean.

As for my appeal, Capt. so&so stated indirectly that I shouldn't even bother. I've yet to hear of any successful court cases for appeal either.

Last edited by Jeepguy79; 07-20-2017 at 1:59 PM..
Old 07-20-2017, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Call again. I had the same issue when I did my renewal. Call during working hours and get to a real person.
Thanks! Kept on getting a voicemail. Found another number and have my appointment for August 8!
Old 07-20-2017, 2:06 PM

Quote:

Good guy. Did my background. He's a true believer in concealed carry. Had a question about someone with my name getting a divorce in San Bernardino. Besides that we just had a basic chat. Do a google search on him and you can find a bit about his background.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmccoy View Post
Good guy. Did my background. He's a true believer in concealed carry. Had a question about someone with my name getting a divorce in San Bernardino. Besides that we just had a basic chat. Do a google search on him and you can find a bit about his background.
Awesome thank you for the reply! Ill do a quick Google search and see what i come up with!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
He was my BG investigator. Super nice guy. Not in the 'I'm your buddy so you can tell me anything' background investigator way either.

He and I had a lot to chat about. My reserve academy days, my wifes work, etc. He approved my background packet just for it to get the kibosh by Sheriff Dean.

As for my appeal, Capt. so&so stated indirectly that I shouldn't even bother. I've yet to hear of any successful court cases for appeal either.
Damn, sorry to hear all that... thanks for the insight on Bernzott though!
Old 07-25-2017, 7:19 AM

So I finished my 8 hour class about a month ago today and I have confirmed that they received it June 29th. I have called twice since then to schedule my final appointment to get my hard card but no one has gotten back to me. How long has everyone else waited to get a call for your final appointment?

-Raul
Old 07-25-2017, 7:32 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raulb View Post
So I finished my 8 hour class about a month ago today and I have confirmed that they received it June 29th. I have called twice since then to schedule my final appointment to get my hard card but no one has gotten back to me. How long has everyone else waited to get a call for your final appointment?

-Raul
As I stated previously, do not leave a voicemail. Keep calling until you get a real person.

Old 07-25-2017, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmccoy View Post
Thanks! Kept on getting a voicemail. Found another number and have my appointment for August 8!
I'm having the same issue... Care to PM me the other phone number? The one I keep using goes to VM every time.....
Old 07-26-2017, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raulb View Post
I'm having the same issue... Care to PM me the other phone number? The one I keep using goes to VM every time.....
Pm sent. It's the number in the application's general instructions. Got a live person immediately.
Old 07-26-2017, 9:22 AM

Default UPDATE!

[QUOTE=2ManyHobbies;19960686]

4/12/17 - Turned in app, scanned
7/26/17 - Received a call to schedule an interview on 8/2. That was quicker than expected.
8/2/17 - Interview with Detective Jones. He said 4-5 weeks for my approval letter.
8/23/17 - approval letter received. Training scheduled.

Last edited by 2ManyHobbies; 08-23-2017 at 3:22 PM..
Old 08-02-2017, 3:28 PM

Default Got my permit today!

Timeline for those who are wondering:
12-27-16 - Initial Appointment for fingerprinting and to turn in app - Simi/Olsen Station
6-6-17 - Interview with VCSD Detective Divorak - Ventura Government Center
7-2-17 & 7-8-17 CCW training & qualifications class
7-11-17 email sent for hard card for appointment
7-18-17 email response received from VCSD with appt. for 8-2-17
8-2-17 pick up hard card & all done!
TIME = 7mths 6 days

Just for kicks - I did my Florida permit, too, right after training & qualifications.
7-12-17 mailed in FL app & required materials
7-28-17 FL app approved, license issued and hard card mailed out to me
TIME = 16 days
Old 08-08-2017, 4:26 PM

Applied October 12, 2016 and picked up my hard card today. Also sent a request for an Arizona permit today.