Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 10-12-2017, 4:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Question Cell phone carriers

I know in recent years, all the plans between the carriers have become similar.

I am now considering leaving the AT&T ship and possibly switching to T mobile.
The unlimited deal -$120/ month for 2 smart phones is attractive.

I donít use that much data but if I pay per GB then unlimited makes sense

What carrier / plan do you have?
What should I consider?
Old 10-12-2017, 4:09 PM
Calguns Addict

If ATT cell service is good for you, just jump to Cricket Wireless unlimited for $60 per. Same networks as ATT.
Old 10-12-2017, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

When I'm out and about, I rarely use data, few hundred MB/month.

I've been with google fi for almost a year, it uses tmobile, sprint, or wifi. Unlimited talk/text, pay $10 per gig of data, but always prorated for what you actually used. Autoconfigures itself in different countries and areas, no sim swapping in europe for example.

My bill averages $23/month. I've used 23gigs on wifi and 70megs of cell data this month, so it'll cost $0.70.

I haven't experienced any reception problems (tmobile only, in central valley.)

My previous plan was $45 unlimited everything, guess I've saved $240/year, but that wasn't the main reason I switched. I can sms/call from any of my devices and tethering is enabled. (Yes I could have rooted my phone and enabled myself on previous plan, but this was better for me.)
Old 10-12-2017, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogohopper View Post
If ATT cell service is good for you, just jump to Cricket Wireless unlimited for $60 per. Same networks as ATT.
straight talk is unlimited for $45/month, uses AT&T. Also owned by mexican drug lord carlos slime.
Old 10-12-2017, 4:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Straight talk is cheap. How do you know that it
Is owned by the cartel
Old 10-12-2017, 4:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I work for Sprint (network deployment) and would be happy to check the coverage in your area and make a recommendation of how good our service would be for you. I can even give you employee referral information for discounted unlimited data service.

I assume that you don't want your information for all to see, so shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Old 10-12-2017, 5:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Straight talk is cheap. How do you know that it
Is owned by the cartel
why don't you google it and decide for yourself if I'm bull****ting you or not.
Old 10-13-2017, 2:43 AM
Veteran Member

Default Interesting...

Tell us more about google fi...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeFree View Post
When I'm out and about, I rarely use data, few hundred MB/month.

I've been with google fi for almost a year, it uses tmobile, sprint, or wifi. Unlimited talk/text, pay $10 per gig of data, but always prorated for what you actually used. Autoconfigures itself in different countries and areas, no sim swapping in europe for example.

My bill averages $23/month. I've used 23gigs on wifi and 70megs of cell data this month, so it'll cost $0.70.

I haven't experienced any reception problems (tmobile only, in central valley.)

My previous plan was $45 unlimited everything, guess I've saved $240/year, but that wasn't the main reason I switched. I can sms/call from any of my devices and tethering is enabled. (Yes I could have rooted my phone and enabled myself on previous plan, but this was better for me.)
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 10-13-2017, 4:38 AM

i got cricket. 5 lines for $130 flat. never have an issue with service or dats. thats for 4 telephones and one ipad with data plan.
Old 10-13-2017, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
Tell us more about google fi...
Read about it here: https://fi.google.com/about/

1 key thing is that you can only use 1 of 5 phone models.
Old 10-13-2017, 7:27 AM

I use Cricket Wireless atv $30/mo. total. I get 4GB of data which I have never come close to exceeding. If I did, I can still use data at a reduced speed for no extra charge. Works great for me. Dumped AT&T two years ago.
Old 10-13-2017, 8:22 AM

I dumped AT&T three years ago for a Tracfone account. I was able to use my AT&T phone with a Tracfone sim card.

A basic one year plan is $99.99 with 800 minutes and there are many other plans with data included.

At&T cost me $400 a year. My current Tracfone plan is less than $150.

All minutes and data rolls over but they won't allow just buying airtime.

irh
Old 10-13-2017, 9:52 AM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
I know in recent years, all the plans between the carriers have become similar.

I am now considering leaving the AT&T ship and possibly switching to T mobile.
The unlimited deal -$120/ month for 2 smart phones is attractive.

I donít use that much data but if I pay per GB then unlimited makes sense

What carrier / plan do you have?
What should I consider?
I have a 2 phone deal with cricket (AT&T) for 80 bucks a month, unlimited data but throttled at 3mbit. Have a program that allows me to hotspot it as well so use it for everything, haven't gotten dinged on data cap or anything. Probably 150gb last month.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:20 AM

I dumped AT&T A year ago and went to TMobile because it supposedly had coverage in a part of Mendocino county I go to. TMobile has been fine but the coverage map isn't accurate. It doesn't really cover what I wanted. I pay $120 a month unlimited data text and calling for 4 lines. They offer free tethering but it is super slow. I am thinking of switching to Sprint for the 5 line $90 a month plan they have now.
Old 10-13-2017, 3:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
I dumped AT&T A year ago and went to TMobile because it supposedly had coverage in a part of Mendocino county I go to. TMobile has been fine but the coverage map isn't accurate. It doesn't really cover what I wanted. I pay $120 a month unlimited data text and calling for 4 lines. They offer free tethering but it is super slow. I am thinking of switching to Sprint for the 5 line $90 a month plan they have now.
I'll make you the same offer that I make others (below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberatore View Post
I work for Sprint (network deployment) and would be happy to check the coverage in your area and make a recommendation of how good our service would be for you. I can even give you employee referral information for discounted unlimited data service.

I assume that you don't want your information for all to see, so shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:37 PM

I have been a T-mo customer for over a decade. Service has been great.
I don't talk much, by choice. But, I use data constantly. I have an older plan and inexpensive grandfathered unlimited data.
Tethering should have same speed as your phone gets. Might be issue with settings/apn. Depending on phone/knowledge there are also ways to get around the Tethering data cap.

For some reason, the inside of my house has been a dead-ish zone, but a quick call got some free "cell extenders" or whatever they are called. Outside is crystal clear.

Quote:

Last edited by Dribear; 10-13-2017 at 10:43 PM..
Old 10-13-2017, 11:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Happy T-Mobile customer here. I had Verizon for 15 years but their coverage sucks in my area. T-Mobile has better coverage here and they're cheaper for much better service.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 10-14-2017, 4:17 AM
Calguns Addict

I have been on T-Mobile since I left the Verzion plan I was paying right at $195 for 2 phones for unlimited everything. I now pay $115/month for 4 phones (on the prior plan than they currently offer) and I have 4GB per phone data caps which I never hit (unless I am traveling and d/load a Linux ISO, however my son hit sit every month on his phone, which is why I couldn't jump on a shared data plan), and if I hit cap, it just slows down to like 3g... no overages. I added a 4th line and I think my plan went down $10-$15.

Tethered via USB cable on my home rig, T-Mo. 4gLTE (although data sucks a LOT in Temecula sometimes during business hours):

Last edited by the86d; 10-14-2017 at 4:22 AM..
Old 10-14-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribear View Post
I have been a T-mo customer for over a decade. Service has been great.
I don't talk much, by choice. But, I use data constantly. I have an older plan and inexpensive grandfathered unlimited data.
Tethering should have same speed as your phone gets. Might be issue with settings/apn. Depending on phone/knowledge there are also ways to get around the Tethering data cap.

For some reason, the inside of my house has been a dead-ish zone, but a quick call got some free "cell extenders" or whatever they are called. Outside is crystal clear.
I called Tmobile about the speed. I guess you have to pay extra now to get full speed when tethering. The standard plan only allows capped tether speeds. I had the same issue with inside my house signal. They sent the cell extender and the signal is great now. I guess the extender ties in with your internet service and uses wifi.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Tethered via USB cable on my home rig, T-Mo. 4gLTE (although data sucks a LOT in Temecula sometimes during business hours):
I have only tethered with wifi and bluetooth. I will have to try with a USB cable to see if that helps in my case.

I just tested the USB cable tethering. Same slow speed. .5Mb/s download 1Mb/s upload. Guess I'll have to pay more if I want faster tethering.

Last edited by gorn5150; 10-14-2017 at 3:52 PM..
Old 10-14-2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
I called Tmobile about the speed. I guess you have to pay extra now to get full speed when tethering. The standard plan only allows capped tether speeds. I had the same issue with inside my house signal. They sent the cell extender and the signal is great now. I guess the extender ties in with your internet service and uses wifi.
Some extenders do, I have on of thier old Wifi routers that has land line capability (insert sim in unit).
But my home interweb blows.
I use their 2 box setup. One on each side of house. Works great.
Old 10-14-2017, 5:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I have only tethered with wifi and bluetooth. I will have to try with a USB cable to see if that helps in my case.
I would have tested with WiFi connection to it, but my home rig is wired-only, as there is no Bluetooth, or WiFi on this BUOR.
Old 10-14-2017, 6:33 PM
Beretta 92FS
CGN Contributor

Talking

T-Mobile won a $3 BILLION dollar lawsuit against AT&T. (Long time ago). They used the $ to upgrade their leased Cellsites to LTE. PLUS they got the right to roam onto AT&T for FREE!

Lets just say that AT&T lawyers were having a bad day..

Bottom line - T-Mobile should provide better high speed data than AT&T and T-Mobile should have the same footprint for voice (or better) than AT&T.

I worked in Wireless Cellular testing for over 25 years, so this is my take on things. It may have changed.... You know those maps of coverage that AT&T and Verizon used to throw at each other? (My hardware, lol - but who cares now....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
Sounds reasonable ... just how are futures in aluminium fool these days?
Old 10-14-2017, 9:44 PM

I use MetroPcs which rides on the T Mobile towers. Great service all around the country and unbeatable pricing. Plenty of data as well as I tether a lot. Only downside is the customer service is in India so they go through the script every time you call. Want to be your next best friend but a small price to pay.
Old 10-15-2017, 5:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I switched to metro pcs beginning of this year. 40 unlimited and 6 for insurance. Additional call blocking for 2.99 but have not tried it yet.
And you dont have to wait a year to get a new phone.
Old 10-15-2017, 5:57 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I had T-Mobile up here in the high desert for about a month and I finally threw my phone out on the freeway.
Old 10-15-2017, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I had T-Mobile up here in the high desert for about a month and I finally threw my phone out on the freeway.
calm, collected, intelligent... i'd love to hear more of your adventures of technology.