Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 06-26-2017, 9:49 PM

Default Clarification of ELR rules

Mini rant

We need to clarify the ELR rules

ELR is supposed to be about advancing the state of the art in Extreme Long Range rifle shooting

It seems to me that some of the rules are restricting the end game of hitting targets at greater distances
We need to get rid of 17th century rules

Examples

King of 2 miles

1 Any rifle as long as the shooter can lift the rifle and all supports from ground using both hands (all you have to do is lift the parts you do not need to move them) Need bigger shooters...smaller shooters need not apply ... fix / need overall weight limit for shooting platform
2 The rifle has to be supported by a bipod not a rest (who cares if the shooter can lift the equipment...deemed irrelevant by rule #1)
3 The rifle has to be supported by a rear bag or monopod or shooters hand not a rear rest (will we stay in 1970 or move into a world that will transform ... also irrelevant by rule #1)

Tonopah 2 mile match

1 The front of the rifle may be supported by a Front Rest or bipod, or supplemental supported bipod, or any form of support.
(Change to any form of support since it already says that)

2 The rear of the rifle may be supported by a bag of any kind, monopod or the shooter.
(Change to any form of support ... 1970 has passed ... time for new improvements)

In essence if you have weight limit and time limit to setup there need be no other rules or we will be stuck in the 1900's and continue with preformed ideas about how a rifle works and keep it that way so we don't have to think of new ideas

Lets keep it simple and advance not stagnate

Weight limit
Time limit
Any form of support for the front of rear as long as it fits in the weight limit

Instead of caliber restrictions have a 50 lb class and a 30 lb class. If you want to shoot a 30lb 50cal go ahead

That is advancement

Rough draft ... please add and tear apart as necessary
Old 06-27-2017, 9:00 AM

Yes, the KO2M rules are "skewed" to match the ELR equipment vendors deep pocket military customers' methods and tactics.

When I look at the winning rigs; I'm surprised that they are allowed to build bench tops on the firing line. It seems to me the rules state the front of the rifle can only be supported by a bipod. Isn't the improvised bench top also supporting the rifle?

I also believe that closing that loophole wouldn't change the outcome. The pro teams are still gonna win.

Cheers,

Last edited by focus; 06-27-2017 at 9:03 AM..
Old 06-27-2017, 10:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I say no weight limit but time limit only for setup. Make it a "Run What You brung" match
I say make the rifle pass a safety check if it's questionable. But outside of that no rules. If the guy wants to shoot a full on rail gun remotely fired I don't care.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:03 AM

You could run an unlimited class.

Problem is there are not many shooters to start with. If you have too many classes it would not be beneficial.

If ELR did get big and you had 100 shooters show up, you would have to figure a way of speeding up an event. It would be too time consuming to run and quite boring waiting for a few shots a day for a week long match.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Multiple firing points and multiple targets
Old 06-27-2017, 12:48 PM

They already limit the number who can shoot the match. Interest far out weights the space available.