Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Good AR optic?

I'm looking for an optic for my SHTF AR. It's just your basic 16" Colt, although that role is sorta also filled with a SIG MCX.

The default for a long time was an ACOG, but lately I hear a lot that it's obsolete, eye relief is not so great, etc. So what would you former and current high speed low drag types use if you had a choice? I'm not sure I want to spend for an Elcan.

Is there a commercially available prism sight that out-ACOGs the ACOG? Or something else? Hoping to stay in the 3 digit price range, but if a superior sight by a good margin is out there, I can think about spending up for it.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

You want a SHTF optic for your SHTF gun, but don't want a battle proven ACOG, but want an SHTF optic that out ACOGs the ACOG for three digit price range?

Okayyy...

I'm not a high speed low drag type, I just love my ACOG. It's like cheating.

That said, a Primary Arms Prism sight sounds like your price range. I wouldn't say it's SHTF proven and it requires batteries and glass isn't as clear as ACOG, but you'll definitely get your monies worth from reviews.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...ac3x-acss-5-56

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 07-11-2018, 12:24 AM
Calguns Addict

I did say "hoping" for a 3 digit price. If there's nothing there, then I have to spend up.
Old 07-11-2018, 1:56 AM

Definitely not high speed low drag, but I really like my vortex spitfire. And yes, I have used plenty of acogs in the past. They're nearly indestructible, plus they don't need batteries.

While it's seems to be very well built, I don't know about the spitfire's durability in extreme environments....but it's not going into combat. It lives a pampered life like all of our other optics. The spitfires also don't need batteries to use, at least during the day, plus batteries are cheap.

All things considered, for our uses we just don't see enough difference to spend the extra $$$ on an acog.

For information on the State of Jefferson movement go to http://www.soj51.net/

Last edited by kenl; 07-11-2018 at 4:34 AM..
Old 07-11-2018, 4:50 AM

I’ve seen quite a few acog’s for sale around 6-700 lately, if that’s what you want just get it. I bought my 1 year old ta-33 here in the marketplace for 650. I carried a prototype back in the Marines as a DM in Somalia back in 94-95 and have wanted my own ever since. Trijicon and USMC command had us do a review on them to get feedback. A few years later they were procured for the entire Marine Corps. I learned to shoot both eyes open and the 33 has the best eye relief. Before that I had a 1x PA red dot that was cheap (65$) but worked like a champ if you want to start with something like that.

Some people say it’s old tech but I still love my ACOG, Or you can go with a variable like a Vortex strike eagle for 3-400, they seem like the new popular thing right now.

Here’s a couple I just looked up

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...G#post21865607

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...G#post21857357
Old 07-11-2018, 5:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Consider the 1-4X Variables

Or a 1-6X even.

Kind of a jack of all trades approach.

Not as fast as a red dot for up close or as accurate as the 3-9X(and higher) power variables at 500 yards, but likely perfect for most applications you are looking for.
Old 07-11-2018, 6:48 AM
Vendor/Retailer

The Sig Bravo4 is definitely an optic i recommend looking at...it won't win awards for looks but optically it's very nice.

-Matt S.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 07-11-2018, 7:55 AM

My SHTF optics are all Aimpoints. I run a PRO and a Micro T2.

For the money, I don't think you can go wrong with an Aimpoint PRO.
Old 07-11-2018, 7:59 AM

Aimpoint. Backup Iron sights.
Old 07-11-2018, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

I'm thinking the rule of 2/3 might apply here.

You have, quality features, durable, and affordable.

You can pick 2. All three don't exist.

Closest might be the Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 (w firedot) 1.5-4x, or their VX-R patrol 1.25-4x for a little more. Keep in mind you're going to want to budget some $100-150 for the mount.
Old 07-11-2018, 8:36 AM

Browe? I always like considering something different.

http://www.browe-inc.com/products/4x...k-Housing.html

or

http://www.browe-inc.com/products/4x...bat-Optic.html
Old 07-11-2018, 8:39 AM
Vendor/Retailer

We'd be happy to pick your brain and assist you with the right option for you, please call 916-670-1103
sales@cstactical.com
Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Old 07-11-2018, 8:41 AM

Holosun HS403C is a great option for just such an occasion. Solar power with battery back up, 99% of the time you will be on solar power anyway.
Old 07-11-2018, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
I'm looking for an optic for my SHTF AR. It's just your basic 16" Colt, although that role is sorta also filled with a SIG MCX.

The default for a long time was an ACOG, but lately I hear a lot that it's obsolete, eye relief is not so great, etc. So what would you former and current high speed low drag types use if you had a choice? I'm not sure I want to spend for an Elcan.

Is there a commercially available prism sight that out-ACOGs the ACOG? Or something else? Hoping to stay in the 3 digit price range, but if a superior sight by a good margin is out there, I can think about spending up for it.
Primary Arms makes several Xs prisms using the ASCC reticle. This reticle system has been adopted for the ACOG recently under license from PA. I have on of these prisms on my AR. This won't cost an arm and a leg either. Find the power appropriate for your use and look at what they have.

Here is 3X.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...ac3x-acss-5-56

They also have 5X and 2.5X. I have 2.5X.

Last edited by Unbekannt; 07-11-2018 at 8:47 AM..
Old 07-11-2018, 3:24 PM

What's your budget?

Nightforce 1-8x or 2-10x are hard to beat under $2,000.

Under $1,000, the Vortex Viper PST Gen II in 1-6x, 2-10x, or 3-15x are all awesome.

Around $500, I like the Leupold VX-R and Mark AR with FireDot reticles, in either 1-4x or 3-9x depending on your preference. I haven't used the Steiner P4Xi, but that's a strong contender as well.

Unless you want a Red Dot, then go with an Aimpoint (LONG battery life) or MRO (if you like a bigger Field of View).
Old 07-11-2018, 3:35 PM
Calguns Addict

SHTF I think of Aimpoint red dot... but if you look at magnification under a grand like people mentioned already the 1-6 is pretty nice. Maybe a Razor on sale with giftcards or something, Viper PST II, and don't forget the not daybright dot, but sweet glass of the Burris RT6 for like $300 street price. Scopes like the Burris AR332 are interesting... fixed three power. That Vortex Spitfire comes in a 3x too.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticsPlanet View Post
The Sig Bravo4 is definitely an optic i recommend looking at...it won't win awards for looks but optically it's very nice.

-Matt S.
Agreed. Plus the $1299 price has dropped to $800. That’s a steal.

I had two of them and traded a guy in Alaska for a Trijicon SRS.

I say:

Sig Bravo 4
Trijicon SRS
Trijicon Acog

US Military Veteran 1994-2015
Federal Drug Enforcement Officer 2012-2016

“An assualt rifle by definition is a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use. A semiautomatic Ar15/Ak47 type firearm with a standard magazine release is not considered an assualt rifle”......Paul LePage, Maine State Governor

Last edited by Endless; 07-12-2018 at 10:56 AM..