Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 01-06-2013, 4:06 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default PPT, 2 sellers, 1 purchaser question

2 Sellers, 1 purchaser, 2 stripped lowers.

SO I have a customer that is coming with 2 sellers to do 2 PPTs at the same time. Do I do this as one 4473 with both stripped lowers info on them and 1 DROS or do they have to be done seperate?

The 4473 sees me as the seller so not sure how this would work.

edit: the more I think about the more I realize it has to be done on 2 seperate DROS's because the seller has to have their ID processed through the system. If anyone has different info please let me know.

Thanks,

Last edited by CifaldiPrecision; 01-06-2013 at 4:25 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 6:25 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

well, you could offer the buyer the option of letting you DROS the lowers to him as a regular transfer, and not as a PPT transfer. That way, you could do just one DROS and one 4473.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you do it as a PPT, it would require two DROS, one for each seller. The total fees would be limited to $35 each, for a total of $70.

You could do it as a regular transfer with one DROS, but your fees would not be limited, so you could charge $45, which would make it the same cost. If you charge less, it is better to go this route, if you charge more, then it is better for the customer to do it as a PPT. If the buyer is denied, then the sellers would have to DROS it to get it back.

The Feds (4473) has no concept of a PPT, so you could fill out one 4473 and list both DROS on it.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you do it as a PPT, it would require two DROS, one for each seller. The total fees would be limited to $35 each, for a total of $70.

You could do it as a regular transfer with one DROS, but your fees would not be limited, so you could charge $45, which would make it the same cost. If you charge less, it is better to go this route, if you charge more, then it is better for the customer to do it as a PPT. If the buyer is denied, then the sellers would have to DROS it to get it back.

The Feds (4473) has no concept of a PPT, so you could fill out one 4473 and list both DROS on it.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-08-2013, 2:01 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post

I ended up doing it as a PPT so I did 1 4473 and 2 dros. But the above information is good for future use. Thanks guys. I didn't even think of doing it as a transfer similar to out of state transfer until someone mentioned it. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2013, 5:39 PM

I just did a PPT with 3 sellers and 1 purchaser and had him fill out 3 4473's because I wasn't sure if I could list all 3 dros numbers in box 21b (the one that asks for the NICS number).
Iron works- Just remember if you decide to do it as a dealer transaction and not a PPT any handguns would need to be on the roster and the purchaser may also need to pay sales tax.
Old 01-08-2013, 5:40 PM

I just did a PPT with 3 sellers and 1 purchaser and had him fill out 3 4473's because I wasn't sure if I could list all 3 dros numbers in box 21b (the one that asks for the NICS number).
Iron works- Just remember if you decide to do it as a dealer transaction and not a PPT any handguns would need to be on the roster and the purchaser may also need to pay sales tax.
Old 01-08-2013, 7:51 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Thanks Grego21
Old 01-09-2013, 9:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego21 View Post
No sales tax would be due just because the transfer was done a certain way. You would need to document that it is a private sale, an occasional sale and not from a business. Also remember that a PPT can be taxed if the FFL gets involved in the price or finding the buyer/seller.

A firearm shipped in from a CA private seller would not be subject to sales tax if it is a private sale, an occasional sale and not from a business (can be through a business for shipping). This would not be a PPT.