Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
ok im a workin stiff.

I'll do some pricing on what the sign would cost and report back some materials costs and options.

for what it's worth - im just going to go down to the local OSH and price some stuff out, we can pow-wow on what is the best combo and then figure out how to pay for it. I've mooched water and donuts in the past from everyone so i'm good to cover a lion's share but if its going to cost more than 50$ i might ask for donatin's lol
Just let me know and I'll pitch in.
Old 01-26-2012, 1:00 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar805 View Post
How's everybody doing. New to calguns. The glass factory is a great place to shoot and it would be great to keep the area as clean as possible, but there is always those idiots who ruin it for everybody. Feb 25 should work just fine for me. I am willing to help out
Welcome to Calguns! We can use all the help we can get.
Old 01-26-2012, 6:41 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Ok so I talked to Larry with the Forestry Service a little earlier today.

With regards with the sign he is going to contact the fire station about putting it up out in front. He says it will just need to have large lettering pretty much stating that there is a range cleanup on this date and time. Sponsors should be good to include as well.

The tractor will need some extra oks. He is good with it but will need to ask the actual ranger for permission. He is also going to contact the fire station about us having the semi truck drop the tractor there and we would then just drive it back to the range.

He also has to contact some archeologists about the possibility of "digging" up artifacts. He knows we will just be getting the trash and doing a light grading but they need to be contacted first.

More to come...
Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 PM
=★= TRUMP 2024 =★=
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patobravo View Post
<Snip>

i was also wondering if it'd be a good or bad idea to let the News Press know, get some coverage of the clean-up to show we do care and we do take care of the spot. Or is this just raising our heads above the parapet?

---John

If the news is contacted, I would be good too, to let them know that the target shooters are the ones that are doing the clean up. The last news article on the GF clean up I read, while all positive, kinda made it sound like just your everyday resident was complaining about the trash and were going to clean up. If it's pushed to know that the shooters are the ones who care, that would be a positive thing for them to note.

The 2nd Amendment Explained
Old 01-27-2012, 6:34 AM
CGSSA Associate

this is exactly the sort of misrepresentation I was warning about. Any outreach to media should be a rehearsed and orchestrated connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOEX FFF View Post
If the news is contacted, I would be good too, to let them know that the target shooters are the ones that are doing the clean up. The last news article on the GF clean up I read, while all positive, kinda made it sound like just your everyday resident was complaining about the trash and were going to clean up. If it's pushed to know that the shooters are the ones who care, that would be a positive thing for them to note.
Old 01-27-2012, 9:52 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Ok we are good to go on all fronts.

Front loader has been approved by the Ranger. I will get a hold of the rental agency and set this up as long as we can get support from Marborg.

Sign is good to go for in front of the fire station. There is 2 poles that they use for other signs out there that we can use to hold it. The poles are 4ft across so the should be at least that wide. We will need to drill some holes in the sign at the site and bolt it on. Generally a 2 pewrson job according to Larry.

He also said it would be a good idea to put an alternate date on the sign if it happens to rain that weekend. Something to ponder...

The way it looks right now we might need a few more people. Does someone want to go through the old threads and PM all the others that have helped out in the past? I will be out of town all weekend starting now.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 AM
CGSSA Associate

Awesome and thank you for dimensions. I will have materials options posted up sometime after lunch time tomorrow (heading to OSH tomorrow morning )

alternate dates wise... im good as long as its not valentine's day week (work function all week and both adjoining weekends - before / after ) and im not available in May for another work function
Old 01-27-2012, 10:11 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

What are the plans for the materials? Aluminum would probably be the best bet. A little more expensive but it will weather great and look professional. Have you looked into a local sign company?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:18 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtturborex View Post
What are the plans for the materials? Aluminum would probably be the best bet. A little more expensive but it will weather great and look professional. Have you looked into a local sign company?
I used to know the guys @ White signs pretty good back when i did prop management but its been literally almost a decade since i was in the graphic (purely) industry and have fallen out of touch.

I think ideally we'll want to get one of the alloy / alumn materials they use for like parking / handicap/ etc.. signs.

Painting - I've got that undercontrol. I have an airbrush and used to be quite the avid hobbyist ( aka i used to crash expensive motorcycles a lot so i became really proficient in painting and plastic repair ) so I don't think we need to engage a sign company unless we are after them as a sponsor (might not be a bad idea tho.... )
Old 01-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

If my J-O-B does not send me out of town I think me and the misses can make it. If not, is there someone I can paypal some $$ to help out with some cost?

-178S
Old 01-31-2012, 8:44 AM
CGSSA Associate

i got shanghai'd on sat and sun by work. I did get some pricing and such and it looks like we should be able to pull it off for cheaper than 100$.

I will draw up a schematic and describe what / how I anticipate the sign will be constructed sometime this week - I just want to be thorough since this will be a community sign and I haven't had the chance to do a write up for us.

in a nut shell tho :

Sign size : 24"x40"

Hardware : both a stand and hooks to hang ( so we can hang if theres something we can cover, otherwise a kickstand will be built in )

paint / prep materials, etc..

shouldn't run over 100$ or if it does only slightly.
Old 01-31-2012, 6:58 PM

Default I'll be there

Count me in unless I have to travel that weekend.
Keep the Glass Factory Clean ! (and open)
And many thanks to everyone doing the footwork and organizing these cleanups.
Old 02-04-2012, 6:54 AM

Count me in
Old 02-06-2012, 8:10 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

How's the sign coming Deadbolt?

We look to be a go on all aspects except for the trash removal. Seems like Craig is doing a lot of traveling this month so hopefully we will be hearing from him soon.

I have not made final arrangements for the front loader as we need a confimation from Marborg first.

Hopefully everything falls together. I can supply the hotdogs and waters again. Let's pull this together...

Mike
Old 02-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I have not made final arrangements for the front loader as we need a confimation from Marborg first.
I have a call into Marborg, the right guy was not there today but I left a message with all the info & my cell #, I'll post something when I hear. i don;t think they've ever said no but best to wait till we hear. Sorry, I started this thread and then got crazy-busy out of nowhere.

Tonight I'll PM folks who've expressed any interest to verify participation and list at the head of this thread when I get confirmation.

And I'm good for sign contribution and bagles, cream cheese & OJ for the morning of.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:52 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have a call into Marborg, the right guy was not there today but I left a message with all the info & my cell #, I'll post something when I hear. i don;t think they've ever said no but best to wait till we hear. Sorry, I started this thread and then got crazy-busy out of nowhere.

Tonight I'll PM folks who've expressed any interest to verify participation and list at the head of this thread when I get confirmation.

And I'm good for sign contribution and bagles, cream cheese & OJ for the morning of.
Great, thanks for the help!

On a side note we went out there yesterday and it looks pretty bad. we really need to get this done.

I also pulled into the fire station there and verified that there is a large enough area for the semi to drop off the tractor for us.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Great, thanks for the help!

On a side note we went out there yesterday and it looks pretty bad. we really need to get this done.

I also pulled into the fire station there and verified that there is a large enough area for the semi to drop off the tractor for us.
Yeah. it's been a month since I've been up there but i can imagine it's only gotten worse.

I just spoke with David Borgatello, Marborg is going to have a roll-off and a toilet up there by 8 Am on the 25th, Yay Marborg!

He did ask that there be some mention of Marborg's contribution. I mentioned the sign and handbills at the gun shops (are thoses going to happen BTW), I also said I'd take out an ad in the News-Press thanking Marborg for their generosity and continued support on behalf of the Calguns and the shooting community in general after the clean-up is complete, if folks want to chip in a little towards that just give whatever you can at the clean-up.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
How's the sign coming Deadbolt?

We look to be a go on all aspects except for the trash removal. Seems like Craig is doing a lot of traveling this month so hopefully we will be hearing from him soon.

Hopefully everything falls together. I can supply the hotdogs and waters again. Let's pull this together...

Mike
work has been absolutely ridiculous. I did a 64hr week just last week alone. I'll do a rough sketch of the sign i had in mind - i may need to pass the creation of the sign off to someone else but i can put some $$ on it - its going to be a really ****ty month for me lol in terms of "personal time"
Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM

We were there this last Saturday and outside of the ton of shotgun shells there wasn't as much trash as I've seen. I did notice 2 of the tables missing which I'm sure someone took it upon themselves to use as a target.

This is happening the weekend of the 24th correct?
Old 02-06-2012, 1:24 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunger1 View Post
We were there this last Saturday and outside of the ton of shotgun shells there wasn't as much trash as I've seen. I did notice 2 of the tables missing which I'm sure someone took it upon themselves to use as a target.

This is happening the weekend of the 24th correct?
Yes Saturday the 25th
Old 02-06-2012, 1:30 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yeah. it's been a month since I've been up there but i can imagine it's only gotten worse.

I just spoke with David Borgatello, Marborg is going to have a roll-off and a toilet up there by 8 Am on the 25th, Yay Marborg!

He did ask that there be some mention of Marborg's contribution. I mentioned the sign and handbills at the gun shops (are thoses going to happen BTW), I also said I'd take out an ad in the News-Press thanking Marborg for their generosity and continued support on behalf of the Calguns and the shooting community in general after the clean-up is complete, if folks want to chip in a little towards that just give whatever you can at the clean-up.
Great! But, if we do the front loader one will definitely not be enough. Is there anyway we can get the "you fill one and we'll bring another" deal. I know it's asking a lot but I'm hoping this will be the last time we have to have a HUGE cleanup. I don't want to spend the cash on the front loader only to run out of a room in the dumpster.

Quote:
work has been absolutely ridiculous. I did a 64hr week just last week alone. I'll do a rough sketch of the sign i had in mind - i may need to pass the creation of the sign off to someone else but i can put some $$ on it - its going to be a really ****ty month for me lol in terms of "personal time"

I'm not any good at that type of stuff but I'll help anyway I can. If you could get the sketch done I could run it by the sign shop and see what they say. We should get this done asap though so everyone has sufficient notice of the closure and we get the word out in our local gun shops.

I will call Larry again to let him know that we are a go but are still pending with regards to the tractor.
Old 02-06-2012, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Is there anyway we can get the "you fill one and we'll bring another" deal. I know it's asking a lot but I'm hoping this will be the last time we have to have a HUGE cleanup.
I'll ask, I did mention the tractor to him and he was very emphatic about no dirt in the roll-off, I don't know if that's gonna be a problem or not.
Old 02-06-2012, 3:50 PM
CGSSA Associate

@turbo

Essentially it would be an alum / alloy (same material as "no parking" signs)

There would be simple text - can be vinyl lettering reading whatever we wish

something like :

EAST CAMINO CIELO SHOOTING RANGE
CLEAN UP SCHEDULED BY CALGUNS

Then under that, we have 2 sections with 2x "holes punched" in the metal. The idea being we can have reuseable sheet metal "dates" like "mar, jan, jun, oct" etc.. plates for months, then a series of numbers

Those numbers would have the same 2 holes punched. We can then Zip-tie them to the sign to change dates and reuse the sign without wasting materials to designate the date.

Also @ the top of the sign i was thinking 2 "U" hooks - so we could just "hang it" on an existing forest service sign (like one of the many SMOKEY IS GOING TO HATE YOU IF YOU START A FOREST FIRE" signs - assuming the rangers are ok with this for the duration of the sign's posting)

and last but not least - literally mount a bicycle kickstand or something similar to the back of the sign if we need to play it in a position / hanging isnt available

sorry for short typing - works killing me, gunna be a 13hr day
-b
Old 02-06-2012, 3:50 PM
CGSSA Associate

oh and if we farm this out to a local company - I got 50$ on it
Old 02-06-2012, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Have we bought anything yet? Let me know what you were thinking, my wife may not like me taking up the patio with a big sign but I'll see what I can do.

I agree with the others we need to get the flyers out and sign up ASAP. Do we have the flyers that were put up last time that we can modify?

PM incoming
Old 02-06-2012, 5:53 PM

I'm OK with taking care if the sign and/or fliers unless someone else is dying to do this. Something like this?

18" x 24", 0.04" Aluminum.

Maybe get 3, one for the range, one for Gibraltar Rd. & one for across from the fire station?

Last edited by patobravo; 02-06-2012 at 6:01 PM..
Old 02-06-2012, 6:05 PM

Would any of you be willing to provide me the directions / coordinates to this place?

I know I'm a new member here...and I'm a new firearms owner, but I am willing to help out the community. Being new to all this, I would hate to see it disappear because of patrons that do not clean after themselves
Old 02-06-2012, 6:16 PM

Quote:
I'm OK with taking care if the sign and/or fliers unless someone else is dying to do this. Something like this?<br />
<br />
<br />
18" x 24", 0.04" Aluminum.<br />
<br />
Maybe get 3, one for the range, one for Gibraltar Rd. & one for across from the fire station?
Wow thanks for the offer. I think maybe putting a blanket statement like "all are welcome to help" might be good. PM me your info and I will send some $$.
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

― Ronald Reagan
Old 02-06-2012, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkyarcade View Post
Would any of you be willing to provide me the directions / coordinates to this place?

I know I'm a new member here...and I'm a new firearms owner, but I am willing to help out the community. Being new to all this, I would hate to see it disappear because of patrons that do not clean after themselves
We would be glad to have you. All the help we can get.

I believe the directions were posted earlier but basically you take highway 154, at the top if the pass you turn on east camino cielo, follow it about 8 miles, it takes quite awhile, and you can't really miss it. If you think you're lost or had to have passed it just keep going.
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

― Ronald Reagan
Old 02-06-2012, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkyarcade View Post

Hi ya!
in google maps it's Arroyo Burro Rd/Forest Route 5N20

Turn onto East Camino Cielo at the top of Hwy 154 (San Marcos Pass), drive 6.2 miles and you're there.
Old 02-07-2012, 6:23 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm OK with taking care if the sign and/or fliers unless someone else is dying to do this. Something like this?

18" x 24", 0.04" Aluminum.

That looks pretty good! The sign for the entrance to Camino Cielo road should be about 4ft wide. We have permission to use the fire stations sign post that they have there.

The only other thing that should be done on it is to make the date changeable so we can re-use the sign for next time.

I say go ahead and take charge of that. I will print out some copies and put them at my local gun shop as well. I might also add the local tractor rental place on the fliers as well if they do help us out with this. That probably doesn't need to go on the sign though since it will be a one time thing.
Old 02-07-2012, 6:24 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Also we should make sure it is OK with Kes if we use his logo since technically he is not sponsoring this event.
Old 02-07-2012, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Also we should make sure it is OK with Kes if we use his logo since technically he is not sponsoring this event.
Asking...PM sent.
Old 02-07-2012, 7:59 AM

Has a list of tools and other handy items, for the attendees, been assembled?

Drinking water, food/snacks, work gloves, work shoes, hats, dust masks, eye protection, rakes, shovels, wheelbarrels, etc?

I will be there to help out.
Old 02-07-2012, 9:23 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n6vmo View Post
Has a list of tools and other handy items, for the attendees, been assembled?

Drinking water, food/snacks, work gloves, work shoes, hats, dust masks, eye protection, rakes, shovels, wheelbarrels, etc?

I will be there to help out.
All of the above are really good ideas. I'm bringing the bbq, hotdogs, condiments, and a few cases of water.

Wheelbarrows have made all the difference in the world so if you have one bring it. I think we brought 3 of them out with us last time.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Just got off the phone with Craig. He is giving Dave over at Marborg a call and said it shouldn't be a problem to get multiple rolloffs for us.

I will go by the equipment rental place and schedule the front loader with them today.

Looks like all is a go
Old 02-07-2012, 12:04 PM
CGSSA Associate

f* awesome. Nice work everyone so far.
Old 02-07-2012, 4:29 PM

I would love to help but I am out of town that weekend. How can I contribute to the sign purchase fund?
Old 02-07-2012, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Craig. He is giving Dave over at Marborg a call and said it shouldn't be a problem to get multiple rolloffs for us.
Came back from lunch and was just about to do this, but checked here first. Glad I didn't call him again, don't want to swamp him with calls from multiple folks.
BTW, when I initially called him Dave got to talking about how he recently took his father for a ride on West Camino Cielo for the first time from Refugio Rd. and mentioned up how the other two designated shooting spots on West Camino (not Winchester Gun Club obviously) pretty littered and thought a pick-up could run out there and pick that stuff up as long as we had the roll-off at the other site.

And- Kes has not responded to PM or e-mail so I'll have the sign made as is, if anyone complains about the logo it can get covered with some vinyl.
Old 02-07-2012, 5:12 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Wong View Post
I would love to help but I am out of town that weekend. How can I contribute to the sign purchase fund?
Contact patobravo since he is the one taking that on. Any help would be great!

Larry would like an email of the sign/flyer as well so he can put them out around town. I'll send it to him if that is the final draft.

I called about the tractor but will need to call back tomorrow when the guy is in the office. Hopefully I will have the final price for that.