Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 06-24-2009, 9:35 PM

Default So what happens after i ship out??US ARMY question

I enlisted into the US ARMY as a Cavalry Scout- like Cavtrooper.

Currently awaiting my ship date (20091013) and working at a fast food joint in long beach.

I'm taking classes online through the AKO for the Future Soldier Program- which familiarizes new recruits on mil time and reading rank- pretty much the basics.

I run/bike every other to improve on my cardio and have been trying to get some of my other friends to enlist as well...

question is... what happens on october 13? i get to Meps and then leave for Ft Knox for 19 weeks OSUT.

I've heard about Sundays with no training, an occasional call home and the Christmas Exodus- however I'm really not sure what to believe.

Is OSUT just one long AIT? Is there a point where BCT ends and AIT begins?

thanks for whatever answers/comments you guys can produce. I'm just getting anxious and trying to learn as much as I can.

Facebook

Weapon Image Portfolio

Need a reviewer for your product? PM me!
Old 06-24-2009, 9:58 PM
Vendor/Retailer

One Stop Unit Training. Boot camp and AIT all in one shot. Yes you may or may not get a little time in between depending on the time hacks to be met. Exodus....again dont expect it but enjoy it if you get. In fact just relax and go with the flow. Don't try to learn it before you get there. You'll just be disappointed that you still don't know anything. Physical condition....be in the best shape you can. Road march with a pack..start off light...do 3miles at a time till you get to 12. If you can 12 you be better off when you meet "misery" and "agony". Run at least 2-3 time a week. Get up to 3miles. Make sure you can do 2miles within 14min. Push-ups and sit-ups...do sets...make sure you can do 60in two min. Thats 60 pushups in two min and then within 10min do 60 situps in two min. If you have any other serious questions send me a PM.

DS Mac
Old 06-25-2009, 3:41 AM
Calguns Addict

You'll find out when you get there

MEPS -> sometimes a stay in a hotel overnight -> airport -> Ft. Knox -> in-processing -> hell begins

MOS 19D, dangerous work, I couldn't do it...

Mac explained it above. You're already one step ahead by getting in shape.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 06-25-2009, 4:28 AM

OSUT, there's no change in attitudes between the BCT and AIT phase, it's just game on, all the time. If you are a PG, don't get disappointed if you're fired after a week, it goes round robin unless there is a definite mature individual, like the 35 year old in your class. Don't steal your buddies crap. You will always be a little too late, a little too sloppy, and your rack will never be made correctly, until determined. Never keep on smiling, even if you know and realize to your very core that this is a game of sorts designed to mold you into a warrior, it didn't help me to keep on smiling except get really strong and stocky.

This is a big one: DON'T LISTEN TO THE RUMOR MILL. You will be there for your allotted time regardless of what goes on in the big wide world. You will not ship out early if NK grows balls and does something. You will not finish training early. No matter what your fellow soldiers say, you are all still fresh in the game and are not the equal of a seasoned veteran and you should learn from them as much as possible: Some of those cadre you see not wearing a combat patch may actually have been there and done that, for one reason or another, they may have chosen not to rock it everyday.

You will hear a lot of guys say SF this, Ranger that, and still utterly fail at completing a 5k movement. Don't rag on them and just focus on completing your goals. Kentucky is hot and muggy in the summertime and fall, then it gets REALLY cold. The hills you do, remember, they're just hills to cross no matter what-t-f kind of Hooah name they have, so cross over them and don't fall out, you can finish them.

Stay away from chicks that want to hook up with you in E-town or Radcliffe, they're more trouble than they're worth to you at the moment and most are looking for more than a simple hookup. Enjoy whatever downtime you have, and remember, MILLIONS of people have gone through this before, and so will you. It is the basic school to start you off in the Army, so purge out all your preconceptions and keep your mouth closed and eyes and ears open to any and all advice that comes your way from the people whose job it is to train you.

Take a look at the APFT, and make your goal to MAX it. Don't settle for 60%, shoot for 100% and if 60% is what you could put out that day, then at least you now know what you have to do. Sundays you can go to church, you will generally be left alone to do what you have to do, after a certain time. Keep the calls home short and sweet, keep your focus on completing your training. Processing when you arrive can last for days, so don't take your processing as the beginning of the real thing until you're swarmed by the good folks with the funny hats. Don't go into town on family day and get a tattoo.

The most successful people who have the best times never take anything negative that's said personally, complete their given tasks, and go through training on a day by day basis. Always waiting by the posted calendar isn't going to make week 19 come any faster. Use this particular time of your career to plot out what you want to be for the rest of your career. Even if your body is not all there and kind of weak even before you leave, that WILL be remedied, it's your mind that carries you through.

That's all I could really think of off the top of my head as far as a general points.

Edited to add: I hear this a lot from the newer guys, there's a laundry service thing that says they'll wash your uniforms and get them back to you, saving you time. DO NOT BUY THIS SERVICE. They seem to rarely ever stop by, your uniforms are out for days, and you won't get your sets back in time. SAVE THAT MONEY, it' better spent on the guns you want, or bills, when you get back. You have washing machines and dryers, do your own laundry.

Last edited by socaldsal; 06-25-2009 at 4:33 AM..
Old 06-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Calguns Addict

You get there ( Ft Knox ), you cry.

A few weeks later you get a letter from (your now X girlfriend), you cry.

You break your leg, you cry.

You get sent home for being a poo-bag, you are happy.

Or not.. depends on you.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palakaboy View Post
I enlisted into the US ARMY as a Cavalry Scout- like Cavtrooper.

Currently awaiting my ship date (20091013) and working at a fast food joint in long beach.

I'm taking classes online through the AKO for the Future Soldier Program- which familiarizes new recruits on mil time and reading rank- pretty much the basics.

I run/bike every other to improve on my cardio and have been trying to get some of my other friends to enlist as well...

question is... what happens on october 13? i get to Meps and then leave for Ft Knox for 19 weeks OSUT.

I've heard about Sundays with no training, an occasional call home and the Christmas Exodus- however I'm really not sure what to believe.

Is OSUT just one long AIT? Is there a point where BCT ends and AIT begins?

thanks for whatever answers/comments you guys can produce. I'm just getting anxious and trying to learn as much as I can.
back in 95 osut was like basic for 17 weeks nonstop

Last edited by goathead; 06-27-2009 at 8:21 AM..
Old 06-26-2009, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
You get there ( Ft Knox ), you cry.

A few weeks later you get a letter from (your now X girlfriend), you cry.

You break your leg, you cry.

You get sent home for being a poo-bag, you are happy.

Or not.. depends on you.
Old 06-27-2009, 2:34 PM

thanks for the advice guys...i sincerely appreciate it!

Facebook

Weapon Image Portfolio

Old 06-27-2009, 3:38 PM
Banned

Nothing to worry about the army has gotten really soft over the years
Old 06-28-2009, 9:56 AM

most of the military has...not just the army.

Facebook

Weapon Image Portfolio

Old 06-28-2009, 11:43 PM

When it's been said you get Sundays off, it only means you will not get wrecked from the first second you wake up until you are done training, official and remedial, for the day. You will have a DS present, and you will not be permitted to leave the Disney area. It would be a good idea to work out a way to do barracks and equipment maintenance with your peers. It won't be like this the first month, or probably not at all if you've got one of the believers of fire and brimstone training. When you're done, tell me if Wilmon's old butt still works there as a DS. If he is, and he's one of yours, listen to EVERYTHING that man has to say.

WW2/Korea vets said Vietnam guys were soft. Vietnam guys said Desert Storm and today's guys are soft.

What I like is that the enemy keeps getting put into the dirt by our guys, whether we think they're softer than the last batch or not.

Last edited by socaldsal; 06-28-2009 at 11:45 PM..