Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old 08-01-2018, 2:58 PM
TruOil TruOil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 349
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
Why would McConnell move for a vote on reciprocity before the election? Still dangling it out there to get more GOP at the polls. Kavanaugh will be in Oct. and reciprocity will likely be voted on after the elections in November or December, if at all. It's still "in the fall" until 12/20/2018, no?
Well, maybe because he said he was going to bring it up for a vote before the midterms. If the Dems win big, then there will be no chance of it passing afterwards, even though the new representatives and senators will not take their seats until next year, because the Dems will effectively filibuster it.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 08-01-2018, 4:46 PM
stag6.8 stag6.8 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,041
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
bump....

Sept and Oct this year are going to be really busy in D.C., what with Nat' Recip starting to move again in the Senate, the Kavanaugh confirmation battle in the Senate, and 1/3rd of the Senate and all of the House campaigning before the Nov elections.

Hang on to your seats once Sept 4th rolls around....

have you heard of any recent confirmed discussion in the senate regarding the cornyn bill? if so please share with us.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 08-02-2018, 3:16 AM
Paladin's Avatar
Paladin Paladin is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SFBA
Posts: 8,033
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag6.8 View Post
have you heard of any recent confirmed discussion in the senate regarding the cornyn bill? if so please share with us.
No. I'm going off of the prediction made by a former president of the NRA back in Jan or Feb. I embedded the YT of the interview in either this, the thread re. the Senate version or in the other thread dedicated to the House version of Nat'l Recip, if you want to find it.

Regardless, we should find out in just over a month whether his prediction comes true or not.

__________________
Never mistake being delusional for being optimistic.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 08-02-2018, 12:00 PM
HarryS HarryS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 244
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Any chance that Conryn will amend his bill to embrace non-resident CCW's?

I have had a TX CHL for 16 years but live in a no-issue section of CA.
__________________
NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 08-02-2018, 2:10 PM
TruOil TruOil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 349
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Any chance that Conryn will amend his bill to embrace non-resident CCW's?

I have had a TX CHL for 16 years but live in a no-issue section of CA.
No. The House bill had such a provision, the Senate bill never did, and McConnell wants it that way. That was one of the reasons the House bill was DOA.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 08-10-2018, 5:13 PM
Paladin's Avatar
Paladin Paladin is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SFBA
Posts: 8,033
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag6.8 View Post
have you heard of any recent confirmed discussion in the senate regarding the cornyn bill? if so please share with us.
Grassley just announced that the Kavanaugh hearings will begin Sept 4th, when Congress comes back from summer break. They want him on the Court come the first workday of October, so that means he'll have to pass the Senate in Sept. Things start moving in just 3.5 weeks.

My guess is we'll hear around then, if not sooner, what the future looks like for the Senate version of Nat'l Recip.
__________________
Never mistake being delusional for being optimistic.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 08-10-2018 at 8:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 08-10-2018, 5:43 PM
ajb78's Avatar
ajb78 ajb78 is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: San Leandro
Posts: 835
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

So is the House version completely dead now?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 08-10-2018, 7:48 PM
Robotron2k84 Robotron2k84 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 411
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

The Senate could still: debate the Cornyn bill and vote on it, sending the bill to conference if passed to be meted out with the House bill, or they could table the Cornyn bill and take up a vote on the House version. Either way, it will be fought with D's asking for amendments before a final vote. Ideally, McConnell should simply bring it to the floor for up or down voting on a simple majority. Expect plenty of stalling attempts and refusal for cloture on the part of the opposition.

To sum it all up, no one knows how it will play out and a lot depends on whether it's brought to the floor before or after the midterm elections and the results of those should the bill not be brought up beforehand.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 08-10-2018 at 8:17 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 08-10-2018, 8:05 PM
ajb78's Avatar
ajb78 ajb78 is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: San Leandro
Posts: 835
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Thanks. Wasn't sure if the House Bill died after the deal with FixNICS earlier this year.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 08-13-2018, 7:44 AM
press1280 press1280 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,319
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb78 View Post
Thanks. Wasn't sure if the House Bill died after the deal with FixNICS earlier this year.
Good question. The reciprocity/fix NICS passed as a package but only fix NICS got voted on.
Don't know if it can be brought back by the house or not
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 08-13-2018, 12:47 PM
TruOil TruOil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 349
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
Good question. The reciprocity/fix NICS passed as a package but only fix NICS got voted on.
Don't know if it can be brought back by the house or not
IMO, the House bill, although technically still breathing, is brain dead and on life support. Cornyn likes his bill, and he can assure that it is the only one that the Senate will consider. As noted earlier, the Cornyn bill only grants reciprocity to resident CCWs, not to nonresident permits, while the House bill does both. Carynyn's bill is more likely to survive state challenges as a usurpation of state's rights and other attacks--which are sure to follow. There is no way the NY, NJ or California are going to allow nonresident tourists/visitors to carry in their states without a fight. So I think we need Kavanaugh to be confirmed first before opening this sh*t storm.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 08-13-2018, 3:33 PM
ajb78's Avatar
ajb78 ajb78 is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: San Leandro
Posts: 835
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
IMO, the House bill, although technically still breathing, is brain dead and on life support. Cornyn likes his bill, and he can assure that it is the only one that the Senate will consider. As noted earlier, the Cornyn bill only grants reciprocity to resident CCWs, not to nonresident permits, while the House bill does both. Carynyn's bill is more likely to survive state challenges as a usurpation of state's rights and other attacks--which are sure to follow. There is no way the NY, NJ or California are going to allow nonresident tourists/visitors to carry in their states without a fight. So I think we need Kavanaugh to be confirmed first before opening this sh*t storm.
If the Cornyn bill only recognizes resident permits, what will that do to those of us who can only get non resident permits? Does that mean that my AZ permit will no longer be valid in the States that currently recognize it? Or is it left up to the States to determine their own reciprocity like it is now, in addition to the States being forced to recognize all resident permits from all other States?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 08-13-2018, 3:52 PM
TruOil TruOil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 349
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb78 View Post
If the Cornyn bill only recognizes resident permits, what will that do to those of us who can only get non resident permits? Does that mean that my AZ permit will no longer be valid in the States that currently recognize it? Or is it left up to the States to determine their own reciprocity like it is now, in addition to the States being forced to recognize all resident permits from all other States?
All that the Cornyn bill says is that each state must recognize the resident permits of all other states. It does not require any state to change its laws on reciprocity for nonresident permits, or require states to stop issuing nonresident permits. Presumably, except in the ban states, there will be little substantive change in state laws. For example, the Virginia Governor/Attorney General tried to ban reciprocity, and the outcry caused them to back off because those reciprocity agreements were hat allowed Virginia to carry in other states.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 08-14-2018, 7:55 AM
press1280 press1280 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,319
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Not exactly correct. What differs between Cornyn and the house bill is essentially a resident within his own state cannot use another state permit in place of their own states permit.
The house version is that any permit is good anywhere.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:05 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.