Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-19-2011, 5:25 PM

Default Glock Tactical Racker

I got the latest American Rifleman yesterday and as I was flipping through it I noticed a write up on this "Tactical Racker" by Hatfields Gunsmithing. It seems like it might be useful for some applications. I was thinking of getting one to help my son (13) who still has a bit of trouble racking the G19.

Do you think this would be a good idea or not? I'm a bit afraid it would teach him a bad habit.

http://www.hatfieldsgunsmithing.com/...al_Racker.html

Old 01-19-2011, 6:02 PM
Veteran Member

Seems good to me; don't see any "bad habit" danger to it. Half/short racking, though, is definitely a bad habit & potentially dangerous; also never been fully convinced that a hand over the ejection port while racking is the best . . .the ability to more easily rack in the belt, etc., IMHO, makes this a "buy", which I'm about to do right now.
Thanks for the post, and don't forget good internal & external ear protection for your boy which will greatly reduce the "flinch factor"
Old 01-19-2011, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

well, ill be... ive never seen anything like that. i suppose it could be good for weak hands, but as far as their tactical claims, i thought that is what the rear sight is for.

interesting find. have you tried having your son push through with the firing hand? it seems to help the folks ive worked with, that have trouble racking slides...
Old 01-19-2011, 6:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Seems a bit like the charging handles on the AR15 type rifles, so I would think if would be ok. Once he starts getting used to racking the slide and gets more arm strength, you can always progress him into racking the slide another way. (or not)
Old 01-19-2011, 6:19 PM

He can rack it by locking the slide with his left hand, holding it close, and pushing through with his right hand. But he has a much easier time with my Ruger P95 because he can get a better grip on the slide de-cocking lever.

Old 01-19-2011, 6:22 PM
#blacklabsmatter
CGN Contributor

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensix2x51 View Post
have you tried having your son push through with the firing hand? it seems to help the folks ive worked with, that have trouble racking slides...
Beat me to this......
Pulling back on the slide with the support hand while "punching out" with the strong hand not only racks faster and more decisively, but gets the gun into a firing position more quickly.
Old 01-19-2011, 6:29 PM
Veteran Member

I like the ones that extend out on one side like I've seen before on someone's open class gun. Can't find the pic now. I'll post it if I find it.
http://www.zahal.org/products/glock-cocking-handle

like this, but..better looking lol

Last edited by SixPointEight; 01-19-2011 at 6:35 PM..
Old 01-19-2011, 6:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynles View Post
He can rack it by locking the slide with his left hand, holding it close, and pushing through with his right hand. But he has a much easier time with my Ruger P95 because he can get a better grip on the slide de-cocking lever.
ok, so it sounds like he should be ok without it, in my humble opinion. maybe some more practice with snapcaps and one of those springy finger exercisers might be a better path for him. build up the required strength and skill, rather than relying on a crutch. a little skill building will help with all other firearms, and finger strength is good for anyone, especially when getting ready for high school sports and such. hope my opinion is helpful.
Old 01-19-2011, 6:33 PM
Calguns Addict

The name is ghey. Really, it has to be "tactical???"

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
Old 01-19-2011, 6:53 PM

http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant...ory_Code=Other

Old 01-19-2011, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Teaching good technique would be cheaper and might be more effective in the long run. If he can't rack the slide by reaching over with the support hand and punching out with the strong hand while facing the target, have him try this (if you haven't already done so, that is - it sounds like you might have):

Turn 90 degrees (keeping the muzzle downrange, of course) towards his strong side so that his support side is now facing downrange. Grasp the slide with the support hand, placing the hand over the rear of the slide and using "big muscles", not fingertips, to grasp. Bring the pistol in close to the chest. Now he can use his pectoral muscles to assist his arms, pushing hand against hand to operate the slide.

It's a technique often taught to anyone whose upper body/arm strength is an issue when operating the slide of a semi-auto pistol.
Old 01-19-2011, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensix2x51 View Post
ok, so it sounds like he should be ok without it, in my humble opinion. maybe some more practice with snapcaps and one of those springy finger exercisers might be a better path for him. build up the required strength and skill, rather than relying on a crutch. a little skill building will help with all other firearms, and finger strength is good for anyone, especially when getting ready for high school sports and such. hope my opinion is helpful.
I agree. He's still young, learning to rack that slide is a good thing. Nothing helps the self esteem like good old fashioned accomplishment.
Old 01-19-2011, 8:35 PM

Interesting product name. It's truly is anything BUT "tactical." If this is viewed as any other prosthetic device, then for the shooter who needs help manipulating the slide to shoot at all... then it might be the greatest thing ever. A carefully thought out aid that allows someone to perform a function they couldn't otherwise perform would be great!

However, there is very little "tactical" value in something that bolts on, having sharp edges and "wings" that can snag up on clothing and gear. When we consider the tradeoffs, the name "tactical" again might have been stretched. This might be EXACTLY the tool a miniscule number of shooters might really need, but for most- I see little gain. Maybe trying a thin leather shooting glove for the support hand to aid with gripping the slide during manipulation drills? (loading/unloading/malfunction clearing)

I agree with the sentiment about the overhand push/pull technique + practice with an empty pistol.
Old 01-19-2011, 8:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Tactical? Who knows. In my experience the adjective usually means, "paint it black and add ten percent to the price". However, this gadget might be useful for older folks with a touch of arthritis.
Old 01-19-2011, 9:43 PM

I just put some grip tape in the grooves on the slide. Works like a charm. Especially when it's c-c-c-cold outside. Costs about a dollar.
Old 01-19-2011, 9:54 PM

Personally I stick with practice makes perfect, I'm not sure how long your son has had issues with racking his G19, but I'm sure if he continues to work on it, he'll get it in a relatively short time. If this has been an extended period of time that he's been practicing, then I would absolutely invest the $50 to get him going. You know your son better than any of us and you should have a better idea on how quickly he picks things up. Goodluck and let us know if you purchase one and how it worked out.

I take it you're not here for the alcohol or the tobacco