Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-30-2017, 9:20 PM

I have been a member at Shooters World for 12-15 years. I know were most of the feedback is coming from, Evan was Evan no need to say anymore. The range is pretty run down and no improvements for a long time. They have to do some improvements or FT3 will put Shooters World out of business. I have met Pete, he seems like he is going to do what it takes to make his range a good friendly place that we can take our toys and play, let's give him time to make it happen. No where to go but up!
Old 10-30-2017, 10:21 PM

damn... how this guy never caught a fade?
Old 10-30-2017, 10:54 PM

I went to Evan's maybe 5 years' back looking for a particular gun that they had in stock - but something like $250 over the oos competition. I didn't know their price until I got there. The sales guy was rude, the woman was rude, and the place appeared to be a hole-in-the-wall shathole, overall. They seemed to be very upset that I decided to wait and not purchase from them. Aside from the rude people there - I was completely unimpressed - with everything, and way-the-frock turned off. That said, the new owner sounds good-to-go, so if they update the range and get rid of all jackholes... I will give them another chance. I would definitely support a name change, though.
Old 10-31-2017, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsDX View Post
Dude's been gone for seven years, yet he engenders this much hate? He must have been quite a character.

http://obits.ocregister.com/obituari...&pid=142037805
Yup. An A hole.
Old 10-31-2017, 5:27 AM

Pete and his son are great guys, been shopping at Schumachers for years and am bummed they closed. Even though I hate indoor ranges, I'll make it a point to go to Evans now.
Old 10-31-2017, 8:08 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingDings View Post
The new owner has got to be secretly loving this.

There's no way he can do any worse.

I don’t enjoy this. In fact, I don’t feel some of these comments are appropriate at all. He passed 7 years ago, let it go. Without the business Evan started and Kelly maintained we wouldn’t have the opportunity to serve you. We are the new owners and want to focus on moving forward with positive changes. His name may leave a bad taste in your mouth but to me it simply represents someone, like us, that enjoyed shooting. He wanted a place people could come, enjoy themselves and have their firearm needs met. We will do that by providing a safe environment for all, no judgment of your shooting abilities, exceptional customer service, and some fun along the way. I appreciate the feedback so far and look forward to seeing you at the range.
Old 10-31-2017, 8:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have to agree with every negative thing posted about Evan's.

A name change, some employee changes and a ventilation upgrade could go along way to improving the image of this range.

Every time I visited under the prior owner(s) I greatly regretted my visit...

Best of luck to the new owners...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 10-31-2017, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
Post of the day! I know others that feel the same. I rarely go in that place. My visits sometimes were years apart.

I know a guy that when I told him Evan died he was ecstatic and wanted to know where he was buried so he could go piss on his grave.
Tell me where he's buried and I'll go bolt a urinal to his headstone.
Old 10-31-2017, 7:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWSelite View Post
I don’t enjoy this. In fact, I don’t feel some of these comments are appropriate at all. He passed 7 years ago, let it go. Without the business Evan started and Kelly maintained we wouldn’t have the opportunity to serve you. We are the new owners and want to focus on moving forward with positive changes. His name may leave a bad taste in your mouth but to me it simply represents someone, like us, that enjoyed shooting. He wanted a place people could come, enjoy themselves and have their firearm needs met. We will do that by providing a safe environment for all, no judgment of your shooting abilities, exceptional customer service, and some fun along the way. I appreciate the feedback so far and look forward to seeing you at the range.
I never felt that just because someone passed that someone should let it go. If someone was a penis in life he will continue to be one in death in my memory.

He didn't want a place for people to come enjoy shooting. He wanted to be a pompous know it all abrasive azz and make money. Every single person I know that had even 1 dealing with him had a negative impression of him.

I find that amazing. Your call but by maintaining that name you are not doing yourself any favors.
Old 11-18-2017, 7:01 AM

Best people; comfortable range, Good Gunsmithing. Glad that some don’t go there. I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2017, 7:53 AM

I haven't been there in ages. Heck, I'd be willing to give it a try since it is under new ownership.
Old 11-18-2017, 3:57 PM

I had some minor work done there a couple of times a few years ago.. nothing noteworthy about my experiences, they seemed to have about the same attitude of most gun shops in socal

so SWSelite, seems I recall a monthly .50bmg night on the calendar years ago.. never attended one but curious how that went and if those events were being planned in the future.. obviously no decent range data to be gleened indoors but would be fun to take friends locally for a fam fire if the noise levels were tolerable..

thanks and good luck, sounds like you've got your work cut out for you..

Old 11-18-2017, 5:12 PM

As a former OC resident, Evans rep was well known.

I've met the new owners at their old shop down the street. Pete Sr. is a great guy, IMHO both he and his son have made a serious commitment to shooting sports.

I strongly believe that the CG community should support this change of management, regardless of the name on the door.

Luke 22:36-38 (somewhat paraphrased)
Old 11-18-2017, 5:33 PM
Beretta 92FS
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMCJ-3 View Post
As a former OC resident, Evans rep was well known.

I've met the new owners at their old shop down the street. Pete Sr. is a great guy, IMHO both he and his son have made a serious commitment to shooting sports.

I strongly believe that the CG community should support this change of management, regardless of the name on the door.
I think that is kind of the point, though. To CHANGE THE NAME and move ON.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hello, I am the new owner of Evans Gun World, formerly Evans Gunsmithing Shooters World. It is unfortunate you have received poor service. We took over ownership in September and have a new Gunsmith as well. We have been able to shorten gunsmithing times but have more work to get where I want us. We are working every day to improve every aspect of the range. Please contact me with any suggestions you may have. We are addressing ventilation, lighting, and overall customer service.
Just did a PPT here again over the weekend. Second one this year.
Very smooth, went above and beyond as far as time frames. Simply good staff. I left happy
Old 12-04-2017, 2:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I appreciate all the feedback. I am taking all of the input into consideration to make the range enjoyable and safe for everyone. We will make some mistakes but I will do my best to make it “right”. Customer service and the overall vibe of the place are being improved daily.

I would like to address the reputation of the place before. I am well aware of it and the possible bad taste people may have for the Evans brand. I never met Evan but have been told about what his vision for shooting and gunsmithing in Orange County. I believe in his vision. His wife Kelly did a phenomenal job after her husband passed of Leukemia, keeping the place running. You have to remember, she wasn’t a shooter, it wasn’t her passion. She was thrown into the mix, having to run a business, Family, and the loss of her husband. I appreciate everything she has done. I have decided to maintain Evans name despite any negatives, the vision remains the same and I respect what he created. As stated above we are working hard to improve all of the complaints I have experienced personally and read about.

We are Waterfowler Gear Inc, we did run Schumachers Waterfowl Supply a block away. That location is now closed. We brought our gun sales and hunting knowledge with us. If you ever did business with us there you have met my Father. He is a great example of what customer service should be. This will be how we strive to do business at Evans Gun World.

And yes, someone posted above, I am a local firefighter as my career. My wife is a local Police Officer. You may not always see me due to my job but rest assured I am hiring really good people to handle the place when I can’t be there.
Never been to the shop or met Evan RIP. BUT, if you have so much gunsmithing business to have a several month back log, that means you need two smiths in the shop. More if there is so much work that you have to tell the customer to leave the gun and come back in 6 months!

Also, no disrespect to anyone, but some badge carrying gunshop owners in Simi valley left a bad taste with a lot of people. I would not mention the outside occupations. All the ones who avoid the Simi shop will be avoiding your shop too.

Best of luck. We need more gun shops and decent people running them.
Old 12-05-2017, 7:15 PM

Went there today and had a good experience. Met one of the owners and he was super nice and welcoming. Definitely a 180 from the last time I was there. The guy working the counter was also nice and welcoming. The lighting in the range is better than before and the ventilation was a lot better. They did say they’re gonna upgrade after shot show. Go give them a chance. They’re headed in the right direction.
Old 12-06-2017, 6:55 AM

Good to hear things have improved.
Old 12-07-2017, 1:39 AM

The new owners should consider changing the name, the name "evan" seems to be a dark cloud.