Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 12-04-2017, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswanie View Post
Would a stock pack be a viable option for the Terrain as well? Noticed the butt of the stock is not flat and parallel with the rest of the stock like the Renegade.

Thanks for the pointers.

Yup it would work the same.

Another thing I thought of, get some hard foam to put under the stock pack to give a solid weld on.
Old 12-05-2017, 8:52 PM

Well, after some thinking, I realized I don't really want a DBM all that much, and the money could be better spent on an actual McMillan stock. I always wanted an M40A1 styled stock, and they cost about the same as either of the Greyboes with the DBM set up.

https://redhawkrifles.com/products/r...tg-rem-700-s-2

One thing I noticed though, comparing it to the similarly shaped Greyboe Terrain, is that the McMillan only has the one front stud, whereas the Greyboe has 2.

There are also a couple models similar to this one below (Gamehunter), it has a raised cheek rest and appears to be a bit shorter the the M40a1 stock. It also only weighs 1.7 lbs, which might be too light. The M40 and Greyboe Terrain both weigh about the same as the Hogue the rifle comes with (~2.5 lbs). Think this would still need a stock pack, or would that built in cheek piece do the job? Would it potentially put the eye too high? Here is the link.

https://redhawkrifles.com/products/r...tion/mcmilla-0
Old 12-05-2017, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

That one is a bit higher, but I doubt that it's going to be high enough. It will likely need a stock pack.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:19 AM

Shoot 1k rounds through it first. Then start the upgrade process
Old 12-13-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisjohnson View Post
Shoot 1k rounds through it first. Then start the upgrade process
I couldn't find an acceptable looking McMillan stock anywhere that had the extra quarter inch pull I need. At first I was a little frustrated, but not since actually speaking with McMillan; now I am very excited. Six months is probably plenty of time for me to accomplish shooting 1000 rounds, and I am going to do one better and just go ahead and hunt with it this year. If I want to learn all of the nuances of this rifle, walking through any kind of filled in forest on the east coast for 8 hours a day with the thing strapped to me is worth at least 50 rounds a day. I would argue any shot taken at a living moving target, at a hunting angle (aka as uncomfortable as humanly possible, yoga type stuff, it always seems to be this way over there) is also worth 50 shots at the range. Hope I get lots of those.

Funny, if one is going to buy a McMillan, just buy it from McMillan. I am paying an extra ~90 dollars (15% or so) to have the stock completely customized from the manufacturer, vs buying something thought up by someone else. They also have the same kind of customer service you expect from Rolex or high end car manufacturers. Yea it takes six months, but that is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

On the flip side some of the retailers I tried working with are like buzzards on a dying price is right showbox winner. Redhawk was legitimately helpful, but some others made it way more confusing, and it almost seemed intentional. For example, having every stock outfitted to only accept extremely expensive bottom metal. Another insisted that I send them my rifle, so they could bed it properly...after doing a little reading, I think I am going to assemble it and shoot it some, before I actually bed it. Basically it seemed like they intentionally set up their selection of stocks to all require an additional 500-800 dollars to be finished.

Maybe it is just a coincidence, but a less conscientious consumer could easily drop 600 dollars thinking they just got a great "drop in" stock, only to realize they in fact have a lot of spending left to do. All sales are final in this case too so...

Anyhow, I am going deer hunting with the rifle, as is, starting next week. Hopefully I will have some pics of a buck (or doe, I will take anything I am allowed to this season, need jerky), way before I have a picture of the new stock