Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation Ventura

UPDATE (2014 April 12): The sheriff now accepts "self-defense" as sufficient Good Cause.

According to the VCSO "CCW Policy" (.pdf linked at: http://www.vcsd.org/ccw-permits.php), under "2. QUALIFIED APPLICANTS":

g. For purposes of this policy in reference to good cause, a need for personal safety or self-defense is currently satisfactory, depending on the ultimate appellate outcome of Peruta v. County of San Diego.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-10-2015 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: removed dead links, out of date info
Old 02-14-2014, 4:27 PM

Now that Peruta has given us hope, has anyone tried contacting the Sheriff's office to see if policies are going to be changed? Is that even smart at this juncture?
Old 02-14-2014, 4:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Here is his statement:

Quote:
Community Message has been issued by the Ventura County Sheriff's Office.

Friday February 14, 2014 11:31 AM PST

Sheriff Dean Comments on Federal Court of Appeals Decision on Cal. Concealed Weapons Permits #sheriffvc

Nature of Incident: Sheriff Comments on Federal Court of Appeals Case Decision Regarding California Concealed Weapons (C.C.W.) Permits

Date & Time: February 14, 2014 @ 11:30 a.m.
Unit(s) Responsible: Sheriff’s Administration

Narrative:
A three-judge panel of the Ninth Circuit made a significant ruling regarding the issuance of concealed weapons permits and what criteria may or may not be used in denying a permit. California laws currently authorize citizens to carry a concealed weapon upon receiving a permit that is based on a showing of good cause to need to carry, having good moral character, and passing a background check.

The court has struck down the good cause portion of the current law. Our legal staff is actively reviewing the case to clearly understand what guidelines will now be in place. I will, of course, comply with those guidelines and make changes in our current policy as soon as the details are clarified.

Prepared by: Sheriff Geoff Dean
Media Release Date: February 14, 2013
Follow-Up Contact: Sheriff Geoff Dean (805) 654-2315

###

For full details, go to https://local.nixle.com/alert/5147024/?sub_id=524859.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-16-2014, 10:32 PM

So I actually talked to Sheriff Dean in person about his CCW policies a few weeks ago asking about his wildly varying acceptable GC statements and he said he wouldnt issue to "Average Joes" because he wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing he allowed normal citizens to carry guns. I suggest we all pitch in to buy him some ambien
Old 02-17-2014, 2:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock22fs View Post
So I actually talked to Sheriff Dean in person about his CCW policies a few weeks ago asking about his wildly varying acceptable GC statements and he said he wouldnt issue to "Average Joes" because he wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing he allowed normal citizens to carry guns. I suggest we all pitch in to buy him some ambien
That's why Dean is an Un-Constitutional Sheriff and needs voted out at first opportunity

-178S
Old 02-24-2014, 8:12 PM

That's just it. I'd rather see "normal citizens" having the license!

Dan
Old 02-28-2014, 4:20 PM
retired Goon

Ventura County Sheriff's Department just implemented a new change to their carry permit issuance policy.

http://www.vcsd.org/pdf/26160_CCW_po...ded022114A.pdf
Quote:
2. Qualified Applicants
g. For purposes of this policy in reference to good cause, a need for personal safety or self-defense is currently satisfactory, depending on the ultimate appellate outcome of Peruta v. County of San Diego.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-03-2014, 6:10 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Ventura County Sheriff's Department just implemented a new change to their carry permit issuance policy.

I saw this too and was interested but this part stumps me a little.

"For purposes of this policy in reference to good cause, a need for personal safety or self- defense is currently satisfactory, depending on the ultimate appellate outcome of Peruta v. County of San Diego."

So, our 'self defense' good cause is ok? For now? With the Attorney General appealing it, what does that mean?
Old 03-03-2014, 7:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolGuy View Post
I saw this too and was interested but this part stumps me a little.

"For purposes of this policy in reference to good cause, a need for personal safety or self- defense is currently satisfactory, depending on the ultimate appellate outcome of Peruta v. County of San Diego."

So, our 'self defense' good cause is ok? For now? With the Attorney General appealing it, what does that mean?
It appears that using "self defense" or "personal safety" as a "good cause" is sufficient. However, the outcome of Peruta could change that back to it's original policy.
Old 04-11-2014, 8:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post

Sounds like we NEED some "clean" applicants to apply IMMEDIATELY to find out if they, in fact, will issue for mere "self-defense."

If they do, then we need to get as many CGNers as possible to apply so that even if Peruta gets pulled and Ventura could legally go back to restrictive issuance they won't because of the political cost.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-11-2014 at 9:00 PM..
Old 04-12-2014, 5:23 AM
Barely here....
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Sounds like we NEED some "clean" applicants to apply IMMEDIATELY to find out if they, in fact, will issue for mere "self-defense."

If they do, then we need to get as many CGNers as possible to apply so that even if Peruta gets pulled and Ventura could legally go back to restrictive issuance they won't because of the political cost.
There's a couple of threads on the subject. Someone mentioned VCSD had received or has appointments made for around 3K applications since the announcement.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=905138

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=897159
Old 04-28-2014, 11:13 AM

Default VCSD CCW

I called two weeks ago and have my appointment second week of June.

America... Love it or leave it!
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Inst.
NRA Range Safety Officer
IDPA Member & Competitor
Old 03-05-2014, 6:13 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I think I may go for it after reading this today ...

http://bearingarms.com/ninth-circuit...ards-v-prieto/
Old 05-08-2014, 2:47 PM

Default Just dropped my application

I literally just delivered my application,did my fingerprinting, and paid the fee. I have to admit that the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Now the wait begins.
Old 10-28-2014, 2:12 PM

I have been waiting since May, got called for the interview last week, go in tomorrow. Glad I don't need to talk to a lawyer..yet.
Old 11-19-2014, 4:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roterhd View Post
I have been waiting since May, got called for the interview last week, go in tomorrow. Glad I don't need to talk to a lawyer..yet.
You should have your plastic card by now.
Old 11-20-2014, 1:27 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

My appointment for Livescan was on April 16th, 2014. I just received the call to pick up my hard card on December 4th, 2014. So the process took a little under 8 months to complete. Utterly ridiculous. Now that Peruta seems to be progressing toward becoming the law of the land, the state needs to set up the process through your local DMV. There is absolutely no reason why it should take three quarters of a year to receive your CCW. It should be one appointment at the DMV for instant Livescan, fingerprints, issue the CCW, just like they do in most other states. I hope that we can continue to petition and sue our way toward this goal. Just like the handgun roster and almost all gun laws in this state, the tyrants have engineered the process to be as painful, time consuming and expensive as possible in order to discourage the less resilient and stubborn amongst us from exercising our civil rights.

The entire process as it sits is punitive and arbitrary. Happy that I am going to be able to legally carry to protect myself and my loved ones but the process was expensive, time consuming and just plain dumb. Protecting your life is a natural, civil and Constitutional RIGHT, not a waiting game with multiple visits, payments, appointments and other bureaucratic obstacles. How it got to this, I don't know, but now that gun owners have some judicial momentum with the courts, we need to parlay this state back to a level of sanity.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:44 AM

Default Ventura Sheriff Dean Turned me down again

I don't know folks, I have not as much as ever gotten a speeding ticket in my 59 years on this planet. The first time I applied for my CCW, it was just a flat out NO, they said there was no justification and that I should keep pepper spray with me.

Today after paying the $125.00 application fee six months ago, explaining my business of carrying expensive equipment for my business and just the fact of personal safety, they have denied me again saying its because of my "moral characteristics." What the hell does that mean? If anybody has morals and ethics it's me!

Keith
Old 01-15-2015, 8:15 PM

There is nothing on your record at all? Any law suits, police contact? Seems like anything "negative" in your file can constitute poor moral character.

Sent from a hand held device!
Apologies for any typos.
Old 01-24-2015, 6:42 AM

I applied , on 6.24.14 wwas fast scanned. On 12.14.14 was interviewed. The detective reviewed a traffic accident, a class action case with a name similar to mine, no relation, asked me why I am requesting a CCW. I replied defense and for frequent family travel from home in ventura county to san franciso where there are significant areas of dead cell phone coverage, where I would not have capability to call 911.

she reported that the sheriff would rule in about 60 days.

Can anyone respond how longit took for the sheriff's final determination?

should I call for a status after the 60 days?

Are there any experiences in ventura county with your application

BTW. A friend applied inorange county andit was processed and approed in 45days

thanks. In advance
Old 01-24-2015, 9:29 AM

No law suits , 1992 one court case regarding a civil suit settled before tria over employment contract. I work for the govtand hold a secret clearance and utah , nevada and Florida ccws. Also a captain usmc and a commercial pilot
Old 01-24-2015, 9:36 AM

My time line for the process so far

June 17, 2014 Submitted Application, Live Scan prints, pay initial fee
Nov 26, 2014 Interview
Jan 22, 2015 Letter received that the background was completed, called for appointment.
Feb 4, 2015 date scheduled to pay final fees and turn in class docs
Old 01-24-2015, 2:48 PM

Silver you may want to post this in the "main" ventura county thread not many people come to this one anymore. I believe this it the link. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...897159&page=42

Or on the Cg main page click on the genrperal discussion

Sent from a hand held device!
Apologies for any typos.
Old 02-18-2015, 3:08 PM

Bang! Just wanted to bring this up a little since nobody has come here in a while!

I don't regret burning some bridges. I regret that some people weren't on those bridges when I burnt them!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:58 AM

Well, in view of the en banc Peruta rehearing I guess it's time for me to get off my lazy duff and get this process moving. A couple questions for anyone who's gone before:

One, in 1991 (IIRC) I was arrested on suspicion of DUI in San Diego County. I pled to a "wet" wreckless. Is that a misdemeanor or infraction? I can't find a definitive answer and have no clue where any of the paperwork from then might be. Disclose or no? I'm leaning "disclose" but would like to hear from anyone with similar circumstances.

Two: Is the general consensus that "self-defense" is sufficient cause to request? I do have an FBI warning issued to my industry a few months back, warning us that people in my line of work are explictly targets for jihadist attack. In addition, there are recent documented cases of colleagues in other California cities who have been violently attacked in the field. (Suffice to say that Mr. Peruta and I are in the same industry.) Should I add that info or no? Again, any guidance or opinion would be welcomed.

Post up or PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 4:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I posted the below in the Concealed Carry Discussion forum and, in order to ensure the greatest number of Ventura folks see it, am posting it here. Usually cross posting is bad form, but since this is for a vital cause, I think an exception is warranted.

If you Ventura folk like this idea and want to run with it, I suggest you get in touch w/CGF as well as the NRA and start a dedicated thread to this project in the CA Political Activism forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Folks, instead of cursing the darkness, why don't you try lighting a candle?

Instead of complaining how long it takes the sheriff to review apps and issue CCWs, why don't you get in touch w/the County Supervisor for your district and tell them you want them to give the sheriff additional funding/manpower/whatever so that he can get through the backlog of apps faster? Organize Ventura CGNers so that ALL county sups are hit w/load of calls, emails, faxes, letters.

After all, waiting 1 year to get a 2 year permit is just DUMB!!!

http://www.ventura.org/board-of-supervisors

Probably best to first contact H. Paul Payne of the NRA to see if he can help or give advice:

H. Paul Payne, NRA Liaison to the Executive Vice President
3565 La Ciotat Way, Riverside, CA 92501
(951) 683-4NRA Office (951) 779-0740 Fax
nrausmc@earthlink.net Email
http://www.calnra.com California NRA Web Site

A little initiative, organization, and leadership can go a long way....
Old 06-23-2015, 4:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Do you really think that the delay is due to a lack of manpower? Why do you think it takes so long even for a renewal?

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 06-25-2015, 8:27 PM

Default After 9 months finally got the call

I turned in my application and did live scan on 9-19-2014. Have nothing in my history. Stopped by the department back in February and they said they had just started on August. Went back in late April when doing jury duty and guess what, still working on August. June is almost over...... Anybody later than me been called for their interview? -UPDATE: 6-25-2015 got the call for interview this morning. Have hope!
Old 09-02-2015, 3:00 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Anyone have any updates?
Old 09-02-2015, 4:15 PM

I applied back in August 2014. I picked up my hard card earlier this week.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Out of curiosity - how's the Ventura process coming along?
Old 01-01-2016, 11:27 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Looks like it's still at about a year from initial application to issuance there's a better thread in the CC discussion forum.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 01-02-2016, 8:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

SteelRain82 posted this link in an OT thread:

Ventura County requests for weapons permits soar after San Bernardino attack

http://www.vcstar.com/news/local/ven...364005941.html
Old 01-04-2016, 1:22 PM

Just submitted my application this morning! Wish me luck. Hopefully in about a year I will have a CCW!
Old 01-09-2016, 8:20 PM

My App appt is Mar 4, Ugh. Gonna be a LONG time for me lol...........
Old 01-11-2016, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnjscooter View Post
My App appt is Mar 4, Ugh. Gonna be a LONG time for me lol...........
I'm a few days before you. I called VCSO 12/8/2015 for their earliest appt and it was 01/02/2016. I didn't take that spot because I didn't have my handguns yet... Called 12/21/2015 for the appointment... earliest was 03/01/2016. I wonder what it's at now.
Old 01-11-2016, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irx View Post
I'm a few days before you. I called VCSO 12/8/2015 for their earliest appt and it was 01/02/2016. I didn't take that spot because I didn't have my handguns yet... Called 12/21/2015 for the appointment... earliest was 03/01/2016. I wonder what it's at now.
you actually didn't have to have your gun yet, you just needed it by the day you turn in the app so you can list it. I know, cuz I kinda did the same thing. Should have just done it. I bet it takes us 15 months..........
Old 01-12-2016, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnjscooter View Post
you actually didn't have to have your gun yet, you just needed it by the day you turn in the app so you can list it. I know, cuz I kinda did the same thing. Should have just done it. I bet it takes us 15 months..........

My understanding was that I would need the gun with its info on the application day. I just got a PPT for the handgun I intend to have on my list this week so I wouldn't have been able to make it to the Jan 2 date.

It probably will take 15 months unless the sheriff starts having others approve the applications. I'll apply for some out of state ones in the mean time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2016, 6:01 AM

Default Applying for renewal in Ventura for the first time.

It took about 6 months for the initial CCW, from start to hard card. As soon as the 120 day countdown began I called for an appointment and got in within a week. My experience with the Department and with Sheriff Dean has been nothing but positive. The entire process was my first experience with the department, and I am just an average citizen.
I do have some concern as to what would happen if my current CCW expires before the renewal process is completed. Can anyone give some input on that experience? Hope this adds to the forum as I am fairly new.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:18 AM

Default Interview today

I applied in mid- December last year, and had my interview with inspector Jones this morning.

It was a lot more in-depth than I anticipated. I was asked a lot of questions that he already knew the answer to, just to gauge my response. Toward the end of the interview, he asked me to give a quote about my DUI conviction that was six years ago, that the sheriff would read. He said that the sheriff accepts some applications with DUIs, but it definitely decreases my chances. So I explained what happened, how I learned my lesson, etc...

I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand I am glad that they are so thorough, but on the other hand... I KNOW I am a good person, and responsible and experienced enough to carry a firearm. If I get denied for driving hungover 6 years ago, I would feel pretty salty about it.

Just thought I would share my experience so far.

Cheers!