Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 09-13-2017, 1:20 AM

Default Glock Smile

So I've been spending a few hours each day soaking up info on reloading. One thing that seems to stick out is the famous Glock Smile. I have a Glock 17, 20, and 27. I wanted to check this out with the 10mm cases from my Glock 20 and sure enough every case has a small bulge on one side near the head. The cases ranged from Armscor to Underwood. Is it drastic? No, far from it, but it's there. Should shooting reloads be a problem through my Glocks or will extensive case inspection as preparation be enough?

Thanks for all the help so far btw. Good community here.
Old 09-13-2017, 1:40 AM

I removed the bulge with this:
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/88...saAoeQEALw_wcB

before replacing the barrel in my G20 with the KKM Precision barrel:
https://kkmprecision.com/product/20-match-10mm-2/
Old 09-13-2017, 3:13 AM
Calguns Addict

This is why some say reloading for Glocks is bad.

Won't an aftermarket barrel, that supports the whole case fix this (like you don't have to buy for any other MFR's 9mm)?
Old 09-13-2017, 8:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957alex0 View Post
YEah but you also need to buy a Lee FCD as well. WHICH only doubles the total cost WHICH is STILL have the price of the Redding GRX carbide...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 09-13-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Awesome. Looks like I'll be buying the bulge buster since I really don't want to spend $700 swapping out all my barrels. Thank you.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:51 AM

I consider any case where I can SEE the bulge to be over-stressed and I throw it away.
Is this an old Glock, as I thought they had corrected their chambers/feed ramps to be fully supportive?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:47 AM

Armscor brass In my experience hasn't been to strong it's fine for medium loads at best. I have pushed the same loads on armscor that showed expansion not enough for smile but measured vs starline with not sure how many times reloaded that showed very little. The armscor was once fired brass
Old 09-13-2017, 1:16 PM

In my experience, a bulge only really occurs in high pressure rounds. I would not worry about it in your 9mm. The only Glock I have replaced my barrel for one with more chamber support is my G20. The rest (G19, 17, 34, 22) seem to be fine without a barrel. That said, I also run my 10mm reloads pretty hot.
Old 09-13-2017, 6:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

First thing I do before loading range brass is run it through the Lee bulge buster.
First thing I do after purchasing a Glock at a good price from my LGS is replace the barrel. I use Wolf.
Old 09-13-2017, 6:34 PM

The smile "bulge" is in the web of the brass. That brass is compromised. While you can push it back into place with a bulge buster type die, the brass has been weakened.
If you are not creating high pressure reloads you will probably be fine...but if that brass blows out the side at that spot it will damage your gun (and maybe your hand, eyes, face,etc.) therefore I chuck all my bulged 40 caliber and 10 mm "glocked" brass. New 10 mm brass is not that expensive and I shoot 10 mm in my sig p220. Sig Sauer's have fully supported barrels so reloaded brass from this gun is not compromised the same way.
If you only have Glock 10 mm guns then the pre-weakened brass is more an issue.
The bulge buster was not created to take Glock smiles out of brass. It was to remove the muffin top circumferal bulge that builds up in cases over time with multiple resizing events. The brass "flows" down toward the head of the case as it resized, but the resizing ring stops above the edge of the case extractor groove. These gradually results in a non-resized small section. If that gets large enough it prevents easy cartridge insertion into the chamber.
Taking out bulges from non-supported chambers (from Glock pistols, 1911's) was someone's creative problem solving.
Old 09-13-2017, 6:43 PM

Change the G20 barrel to one that is fully supported. My G20 now has a KKM 6 inch barrel and is fully supported and the brass after shooting is bulge free. Very accurate barrel.
Old 09-13-2017, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackcage View Post
In my experience, a bulge only really occurs in high pressure rounds. I would not worry about it in your 9mm. The only Glock I have replaced my barrel for one with more chamber support is my G20. The rest (G19, 17, 34, 22) seem to be fine without a barrel. That said, I also run my 10mm reloads pretty hot.
I have personally witnessed (3) KB's with .40 S&W Glock 35's with 2 of the shooters having to go to the emergency room for shrapnel removal. That made me change out the stock barrel on my then new Glock 35 for a KKM barrel.
Old 09-13-2017, 6:59 PM

I use the redding grx die on brass when I buy it and I changed the barre to a lone wolf so I don't have to worry about it as long as I keep the brass separated.
We must be on calguns...
Old 09-13-2017, 8:22 PM

My view is that if you can see a bulge it's not good but if you can only measure the bulge to identify it that is normal. I have no issues with Glock 9MM, 40 S&W nor 45 ACP either factory or reloaded. I have bought once fired brass with an unsupported area OR fired slightly out of battery that shows the "guppy belly" swelling. Scrap this brass. It's common that rifle and pistol brass will measure a few thousandths expansion on one side of the brass. I believe it's from the cartridge lying in the bottom of the chamber when expansion starts and the excess chamber clearance at the top of the chamber. I do like my Redding GR-X push through die for sizing purchased once fired brass for 40 S&W. Just because the 40 case is nearly straight walled versus tapered cases in 9 and 45.
Old 09-13-2017, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamC View Post
Awesome. Looks like I'll be buying the bulge buster
While that will work for your 10mm, once you've also bought the FCD, it won't work for your 9mm...note that 9mm isn't a listed caliber
Old 09-13-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
I consider any case where I can SEE the bulge to be over-stressed and I throw it away.
Is this an old Glock, as I thought they had corrected their chambers/feed ramps to be fully supportive?
Mine is a G20 Gen 3

Here is a pic of the barrel and a once fired casing. Like I said the bulge is no where close to some of the smileys I've seen, but I guess my question is if I keep reloading these cases will it get worse over time?

IMG_4725 by Sam Colt, on Flickr

IMG_4727 by Sam Colt, on Flickr
Old 09-14-2017, 8:53 AM

I have a Gen 4 G27 and don't see any signs of Glock Smiles. If I did, I would reduce the powder weight and carry on. If it should show signs of smiles with factory loads, I would change the barrel.