Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:21 AM

Default Ruger Red Label 20ga

So recently I scored an excellent condition Beretta 686 White Onyx in 20 on gunbroker for $1000. Ive always admired the Beretta SP, but the filigree and nice wood just seems like a waste on a upland gun (I hunt 30+ days a year).

Fast forward a few days and when the seller shipped the 686 he forgot a copy of his DL and I went into my FFL to check in on the issue and look at my 686. First thing I see when I walk in is a Ruger Red Label that appears to be in 20. Now me being me I ask to see the Red Label. It was in great condition and pointed oh so nice.

Anyway we start to talk about the price (they wanted $1000), I decided to be an adult and say no. Seeing as I had just dropped $1k on a 20ga.

Fast forward to yesterday. The seller on gunbroker sends a copy of his ID and its time to do paperwork. I walk into the shop and the owner says "you're gonna DROS that Red Label today too ya?". Me being me I "ask why lol??" The owner responds "the guy dropped the price $200, cause we told him you'd buy it but not for $1k lol".

So me being me says "WTF of course I'll buy it for $800". There was also some "f*%k dude I can't pass on that" and some "why the f^*k do you guys always assume I'll buy this or that shotgun".

Oh and the best part of this whole thing is my wife sitting there saying "you know if its a 20ga it really for me right "

I've been into guns since I can remember. Bought my first one when I was 12. Probably bought and sold 50+ in my short 34 years on this earth. I feel like the one thing I always find the best deals on is shotguns. I guess there are worse problems to have
Old 02-11-2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
That Beretta is an excellent hunting gun. If you don't want it let me know.
My wife already called dibs on the 686 lol. If she don't like it though I will be sure to let you know.
Old 02-11-2018, 4:20 PM
Veteran Member

Old or newer model RL 20g?
Old 02-11-2018, 4:27 PM

Nice score on both!

I've been really happy with my 12 ga. Red Label.
Old 02-11-2018, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
Old or newer model RL 20g?
Older one with screw in chokes, has the red but pad.
Old 02-11-2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
Nice score on both!

I've been really happy with my 12 ga. Red Label.
Thanks. My hunting buddy has one in 12 and he loves it too
Old 02-11-2018, 6:47 PM

I have a RL Sporting 20 with 30" barrels, and a Beretta 687 SP-II in the same configuration. I think the Ruger handles better, but the Beretta is prettier.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:57 PM

Sorry for the slight hi-jack, but I have a question. I do not know much about the Ruger Red Label shotguns, so, can someone here tell what the difference is between the old ones and the new ones? I remember when Ruger made them some time ago. Did they stop, then start production of them at some point?
Old 02-12-2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky's Dad View Post
I have a RL Sporting 20 with 30" barrels, and a Beretta 687 SP-II in the same configuration. I think the Ruger handles better, but the Beretta is prettier.
When I picked up the Red Label that first time I knew I had to have one. It fits me really well, although it does seem quite a bit heavier.

Its kinda funny the 686 doesn't point as well for me as Red Label or the Citori 725 but I still had to have one lol.

Last edited by Novak77; 02-12-2018 at 3:41 PM..
Old 02-12-2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
Sorry for the slight hi-jack, but I have a question. I do not know much about the Ruger Red Label shotguns, so, can someone here tell what the difference is between the old ones and the new ones? I remember when Ruger made them some time ago. Did they stop, then start production of them at some point?
I don't even know if I will answer this properly lol. The first gen ones had fixed chokes and blued receivers. The second gen had a stainless receiver and screw in chokes. The third gen (stainless receiver and screw in chokes) they changed some of the manufacturing stuff to make them cheaper and I've heard they weren't as well received as their predecessors.

I read that part of the down fall with the Red Label was construction costs. Ruger uses investment castings, they welds the two pieces together. When they welded the two halves together things have to light up dead nuts or they scrap it.

Im sure there was something I missed so anyone else who knows the get down please chime in.
Old 02-13-2018, 4:30 AM

Ohh, change for the worse never helps. Thanks Novak77.
Old 02-13-2018, 6:11 AM

You would be hard pressed to find one of the final run of RRLs, because they did not make many. The first and second gen RRLs are great guns for the money, especially the 28ga and 20ga. The very early ones had spectacular wood, generally better than found on Beretta 687s and way better than just about any 686 or Citori Field. I have a first gen 20 with blued frame and fixed chokes, a second gen 28 that is a sweet, lightweight field gun, and the Sporting 20 that I prefer to my 687. I don't own a 12, but they tend to be heavy and that makes them a good waterfowl gun. I think that as they fade into the past, RRLs will be more respected than in the past, and prices on certain models will rise accordingly.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:30 AM

I wish you guys would stop getting me interested in getting one!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
OK. One of the guys I used to hunt ducks with had a 12ga RRL that had probably the best wood I have ever seen on a mass produced field grade gun.
Old 02-13-2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
Bob, I suspect you'd get one if you saw the right one. You know, the one that says; "You need me in that collection of your's". That one! Be vigilant!
Old 02-13-2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
Bob, I suspect you'd get one if you saw the right one. You know, the one that says; "You need me in that collection of your's". That one! Be vigilant!
That is what happened to me lol. Like no BS i'd been looking at 20ga Red Labels on gunbroker, but told myself I wanted a Beretta more. Then wham it was right there at my go to FFL. Just sitting there asking for me to take it home
Old 02-13-2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky's Dad View Post
You would be hard pressed to find one of the final run of RRLs, because they did not make many. The first and second gen RRLs are great guns for the money, especially the 28ga and 20ga. The very early ones had spectacular wood, generally better than found on Beretta 687s and way better than just about any 686 or Citori Field. I have a first gen 20 with blued frame and fixed chokes, a second gen 28 that is a sweet, lightweight field gun, and the Sporting 20 that I prefer to my 687. I don't own a 12, but they tend to be heavy and that makes them a good waterfowl gun. I think that as they fade into the past, RRLs will be more respected than in the past, and prices on certain models will rise accordingly.
Ya I had heard that they didn't make very many of the final model. Read somewhere that they were "On backorder" like right after they were released. People wanted them but Ruger didn't wanna make them anymore.