Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Default Is my BCG Chrome Lined? Pictures Inside

I have a CMMG BCG, I bought my complete CMMG upper used here on Calguns, it is the 16" WASP model. I've contacted CMMG tech support via e-mail and they said that their BCG's are chrome lined and are properly staked, when I take apart my BCG and look inside the carrier where the bolt goes into it just looks more of the same as the carrier, but near the end of the hole there seems be like a burnt ring mark and after that it is a bit shiny. I am not sure whether that particular part is shiny because the bolt as been riding back and forth and shaved off metal or if it's indeed chrome lined.

Sorry I don't have a camera good enough to take pictures and show you all, I hope I was able to articulate well enough for some of you to understand what I'm asking!

Also! please post pictures showing what chrome line BCG's look like on the inside!

Edit: Took some camera photos

Note: This BCG has approximately 2,000 rounds through it, the photos were taken after a cleaning and lube.

Last edited by mrvash; 05-05-2011 at 2:44 PM..
Old 05-05-2011, 11:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Why don't you send CMMG a pic? They might not appreciate a BCG being sold as theirs if it's not.

Maybe you got scammed. Someone took the nice chrome lined BCG out, replaced it with a regular BCG then sold you the "complete CMMG upper" minus the nice CMMG BCG.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Why don't you send CMMG a pic? They might not appreciate a BCG being sold as theirs if it's not.

Maybe you got scammed. Someone took the nice chrome lined BCG out, replaced it with a regular BCG then sold you the "complete CMMG upper" minus the nice CMMG BCG.
Perhaps, I truly hope that wasn't the case. The BCG I have does not have any markings or anything either.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If look at pics (google for them) of chrome lined BCG, I can't see any shiny bits, maybe just the angles of the pictures. Maybe you DO have a chrome lined BCG.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
If look at pics (google for them) of chrome lined BCG, I can't see any shiny bits, maybe just the angles of the pictures. Maybe you DO have a chrome lined BCG.
I'm unable to find pictures

P.S, I added some pictures.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

cleaning it and then taking some better pictures would go along way.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro3k2 View Post
cleaning it and then taking some better pictures would go along way.
+1

I would not buy anything from someone that wasn't an actual Vendor or has a selling record on Calguns. Someone with 5 posts with one being the actual post and 4 BTT's I wouldn't trust.

Not saying this is what happened to you but I've never heard of Calgunners scamming people in the year I've been a member until this and last month. Hopefully its just carbon build up put a wet bronze brush down there.

I don't know if CMMG BCG's are fully chrome lined so it might be a completely different bolt especially if the gas key is not staked.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:58 AM

The guy I bought it from, I believe to be an upstanding guy and wouldn't pull such a stunt to be honest. Then again, you never know! I wish I was able to take better photos, but this is as good as it gets
Old 05-05-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhena81 View Post
I don't know if CMMG BCG's are fully chrome lined so it might be a completely different bolt especially if the gas key is not staked.
How do you know whether it's staked or not?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I believe you CAN take better pics. Some things in the pics are in focus, but not the BCG! Maybe lay them down then make sure the focussing square (or whatever) in your camera is on the BCG.

But that's irrelecvant to your question I think.
Old 05-05-2011, 2:43 PM

So, I sent an e-mail earlier to CMMG Inc's tech support with the photos posted above and asked if it was an authentic CMMG BCG and if it's chrome lined and all they replied was, "Looks good to me."

So what you do guys think? is this BCG chrome lined and is it 'properly' staked?
Old 05-05-2011, 2:49 PM

Sounds legit! Now go out an shoot the @#$% outta it!

— Justice Robert H. Jackson
Old 05-05-2011, 2:52 PM
Veteran Member

try cleaning it. then look
Old 05-05-2011, 3:00 PM
Calguns Addict

CMMG has outstanding customer service. Honestly take better-more detailed photos and email them to CMMG. They'd be able to tell you within a short amount of time if you've been swindled or if in fact it's their product.
Old 05-05-2011, 4:53 PM
Veteran Member

It looks staked but I can't tell since your camera obviously doesn't have a macro lens. CL one can only guess get out some cleaning agents dangit.
Old 05-05-2011, 5:17 PM
Veteran Member

Appears to be a standard bolt and carrier........Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Staking looks a bit perfunctory but probably is fine.
Old 05-05-2011, 5:34 PM

Old 05-05-2011, 7:11 PM

Yes, it does look like its chrome lined and staked, not sure though if the staking was properly done.

Here's my chrome lined and staked BCG, its not CMMG though

Old 05-05-2011, 8:28 PM

Old 05-06-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini1 View Post
Yes, it does look like its chrome lined and staked, not sure though if the staking was properly done.
Aw, thank you very much. Unfortunately I don't have an actual dedicated camera, and my phone camera's feature doesn't include a macro setting; those photos were the best I can do.

I am believing that my BCG is actually chrome-lined though, it looks like your BCG as a matter of fact, but yours is a bit more shiny, but I think is because you have more lube on yours.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member

use the close shot setting on your camera

OR

MOVE YOUR LENS FARTHER AWAY FROM THE OBJECTIVE SO IT'S IN FOCUS

please note in all of your pictures that the background is nice and clear while the foreground is fuzzy and out of focus. We can't tell if the blurr in photo's 1-4 are chrome lined.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro3k2 View Post
use the close shot setting on your camera

OR

MOVE YOUR LENS FARTHER AWAY FROM THE OBJECTIVE SO IT'S IN FOCUS

please note in all of your pictures that the background is nice and clear while the foreground is fuzzy and out of focus. We can't tell if the blurr in photo's 1-4 are chrome lined.
Yeah. You know, I'm over it, these are the best pictures I can get with my camera phone, with any other angle the white balance and lighting would be so screwed up that the photos would be too dim to see the BCG. I would not intentionally post out of focus photos, especially if I am asking for help and/or advice. This is just what I have to work with.

Sure the folks who are offended by the picture quality wouldn't have to believe me that I cannot do any better with the photos, and I respect that. To the others that have work with what I can give, given my current resources, have my appreciation and thanks for your efforts.

And yes, through some research and asking questions to CMMG in the regards if my BCG is authentic and chrome-lined, I tend to now believe it is indeed authentic and chrome lined.

Once again, thanks.
Old 05-06-2011, 6:54 AM

mrvash,

My BCG from my CMMG looks the same as yours. Like the others have said I'd clean it and look more carefully inside as you should see the chroming inside. If not it's no big deal anyway cuz unless you live in a humid climate corrosion should not be an issue. If it does turn out that it's not chromed you can always have it hard chromed by your local smith.

Mail Clerk
Old 05-06-2011, 7:09 AM
Calguns Addict

The BCG in question is in fact chrome lined and properly staked with the correct tool.
Old 05-06-2011, 7:15 AM
Calguns Addict

It's clearly chrome lined. That's what the lighter color "ring" is around the hole.