Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 08-23-2018, 9:29 PM

Default vortex viper for 6.5 grendel

does anyone have any suggestions regarding which viper to put on a 24" 6.5 Grendel that will be used mainly for punching paper and steel out 1000 yds? I'm new to scopes and long distance shooting. I found the reviews on the viper to be very good, and the costs of $1000 and below are attractive as well. I'm leaning toward an MOA reticle of the horus type. again, I'm new to scopes and long distance shooting, so dialing in numbers probably is a bit much for me at this point, which is why I'm leaning toward the horus reticle. thanks.
Old 08-24-2018, 6:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm a big fan of the PST line, and have been since the early gen ones, and the gen 2's are even more awesome. I have a gen 2 5-25X50 FFP (among others) and that's what I'd recommend. The EBR-2C reticle is a Christmas tree type like a Horus. Vortex doesn't have Horus reticles.
Old 08-24-2018, 7:49 AM

I've also heard good things about the Viper PST Gen 2 scopes. For that distance, you will eventually want to dial in your corrections. I would recommend getting a 20moa scope mount to make sure you have enough adjustment.

You might want to download a ballistic app for your phone, like Strelok so you can get a sense for how the scopes will handle your holdovers. Here's an example of the holdovers for my 16" Grendel through my SWFA 3-15x42 scope. The top of the diamond is ~100 yards, and the red yardage numbers represent the distance that each hash-mark is the holdover for.

Last edited by DrewTheBrave; 08-24-2018 at 8:27 AM..
Old 08-24-2018, 8:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The SWFA quad plex reticle is probably my favorite. I have a 10x and an HD 5-20x50 with that reticle.
Old 08-24-2018, 8:38 AM
Vendor/Retailer

A Viper PST Gen II 3-15 or 5-25 would be a great option for you Give us a call at 916-670-1103 and we'd be happy to discuss your application.
sales@cstactical.com
Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Old 08-24-2018, 8:55 AM

I have a Viper PST 4-24 gen 1 and it was on my Grendel until I move dit to my RPR 6.5cm. I found the Grendel to be a great table gun but I wanted to lighten it up so I went with a 4-16x diamondback HP instead. The RPR is a chassis rifle so I'm not afraid of a little weight on it but the Grendel is very versatile round of you want it to be. You can take Hog with it and still shoot 800 yards at the range. The Gen 2 vipers are almost double the weight of a gen1 just a heads up, if that matters. My next purchase is a razor hd lh if I can find one used in good condition.

Viper pst is a great scope and I have all confidence with it. As stated above use stelok pro and you won't even need the reticle. I have the ebr2c and I don't use it, it's nice to have but it's not really needed.

WTB
Browning BLR**
Browning BAR**
Old 08-24-2018, 9:33 AM

Wow thanks gents! Lots of great info. Much appreciated! I think a PST is it. Ill take a look at the reticles again and just make a decision. CSTactical i will give you a call, thanks.
Old 08-24-2018, 9:39 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyraid View Post
Wow thanks gents! Lots of great info. Much appreciated! I think a PST is it. Ill take a look at the reticles again and just make a decision. CSTactical i will give you a call, thanks.

You're welcome Sir!
sales@cstactical.com
Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Old 08-24-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTactical View Post
A Viper PST Gen II 3-15 or 5-25 would be a great option for you Give us a call at 916-670-1103 and we'd be happy to discuss your application.
Quote:
Will you get the 3-15x44 or 5-25x50?

The 5-25x would be more than enough but it seems on the big/heavy side to mount on an AR-15. I think the 3-15x will be enough magnification for shooting largish steel plates at 1000 yards.

First or second focal plane? First focal plane is nice to have for ranging/using the reticle hash marks at any magnification.

Let us know which model you decide on!
Old 09-05-2018, 1:42 PM

I have a Vortex Crossfire ll 3-12x56 the optics are crisp and clear i have the hog hunter recomended by many shooters, you wont go wrong for the money
Old 09-05-2018, 5:09 PM

Viper PST series is good, but that was mentioned multiple times above already.
Old 09-06-2018, 9:41 PM

so today I watched a review of the viper HST on youtube by the daily shooter. that's much cheaper than the PST and looks pretty damn nice. he said (I think) the major difference was the illuminated reticle. killer reviews on amazon. any thoughts?

Last edited by paddyraid; 09-06-2018 at 9:44 PM..
Old 09-06-2018, 9:55 PM

I have the viper pa 6.5-20x50 on my grendel. Not as nice as the hst or pst but definitely gets the job done. I've shot it out to 700 yards, tracks dead on and holds zero very well.
Old 09-06-2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
so today I watched a review of the viper HST on youtube by the daily shooter. that's much cheaper than the PST and looks pretty damn nice. he said (I think) the major difference was the illuminated reticle. killer reviews on amazon. any thoughts?
Not a bad scope, you can get a PST gen 1 for$700 though if you shop well. Mine was $699 out the door from Midway and I've seen the sale happen a couple times since. Weight Is similar but you're missing lit reticle if that matters to you. I'll be honest and say I've never noticed the reticle being lit unless it was dusk or Dawn for that small window where it matters. So if you don't need it for those times don't worry about it. Compared to a gen 2 PST it's a smoking deal and way lighter. You will have a difference in glass but not as drastic as the Razor to PST difference.

WTB
Browning BLR**
Browning BAR**

Last edited by etwinam; 09-06-2018 at 10:00 PM..
Old 09-07-2018, 5:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I find that an illuminated reticle can be useful for a contrasting color. I lose reticles against dark backgrounds even in full sun with my weak eyes. My biggest problem with illuminated reticles is forgetting to turn the dang things off!
Old 09-07-2018, 5:45 PM

I have this one for sale $700 if your interested
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...lr-moa-reticle
Old 09-08-2018, 10:45 PM

I agree that an illum reticle could have some benefits, such as I too sometimes lose a black reticle in a dark background. I don't know if I want to spend the additional hundreds on one though. I also don't really plan on shooting during darker hours. I think I'm kinda leaning toward a SFP scope as well. not sure if I want a far target obstructed by the reticle. any thoughts on this? again, I'm new to long range shooting. thanks.

Last edited by paddyraid; 09-08-2018 at 10:48 PM..
Old 09-08-2018, 10:46 PM

7pointsixtwo, how used is that scope you have? anything wrong with it?
Old 09-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I agree that an illum reticle could have some benefits, such as I too sometimes lose a black reticle in a dark background. I don't know if I want to spend the additional hundreds on one though. I also don't really plan on shooting during darker hours. I think I'm kinda leaning toward a SFP scope as well. not sure if I want a far target obstructed by the reticle. any thoughts on this? again, I'm new to long range shooting. thanks.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7POINTSIXTWO View Post
I have this one for sale $700 if your interested
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...lr-moa-reticle

I have a that scope on my .308, Iíve been very impressed and happy with it. Iíve had it for almost two years now.

Iím sure 7POINTSIXTWO wouldnít be selling a broken scope, but even if it is, you can send it back to Vortex to be fixed or replaced. Thatís one of the best resell factors for me buying a Vortex optic.

Now, yes you want a FFP scope. Calling shot corrections or holding wind will be much easier with a FFP. You wonít have to think or worry about what power setting your on, you just set the power to your conditions and go. The reticle doesnít doesnít get any bigger than a SFPís is, at max zoom. Go to Vortexís website and look up the reticle subtenstions for both scopes. Youíll see real quick how thick they are and there isnít much difference between them.
Old 09-09-2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
I have a that scope on my .308, Iíve been very impressed and happy with it. Iíve had it for almost two years now.

Iím sure 7POINTSIXTWO wouldnít be selling a broken scope, but even if it is, you can send it back to Vortex to be fixed or replaced. Thatís one of the best resell factors for me buying a Vortex optic.

Now, yes you want a FFP scope. Calling shot corrections or holding wind will be much easier with a FFP. You wonít have to think or worry about what power setting your on, you just set the power to your conditions and go. The reticle doesnít doesnít get any bigger than a SFPís is, at max zoom. Go to Vortexís website and look up the reticle subtenstions for both scopes. Youíll see real quick how thick they are and there isnít much difference between them.

awesome, thanks!
Old 09-09-2018, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Nothings wrong with it. I had it on my .308 for a few trips to the range, great scope but now I want something with more magnification in FFP. Not sure where your located but you can check it out if your close. I still have the original packing and warranty card. Vortex has a great warranty.
Old 09-14-2018, 6:36 PM

Ok, i pulled the trigger and bought one. I got the Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25 FFP with the EBR-2C MOA reticle and an American Defense Recon QD mount. Thanks for all your help! It's coming in the mail tomorrow and I can't wait to use it! I took the "buy once, cry once" advice and went for it!!!
Old 09-15-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Ok, i pulled the trigger and bought one. I got the Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25 FFP with the EBR-2C MOA reticle and an American Defense Recon QD mount. Thanks for all your help! It's coming in the mail tomorrow and I can't wait to use it! I took the "buy once, cry once" advice and went for it!!!
👍awesome! You wonít regret it, plus Vortexís warranty is great. I only wish they made the Golden Eagle in FFP ☹️