Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

View Poll Results: Which of the following best summarizes your plans for the CMP 1911 Lottery?
I will enter the lottery and see the value in these historic 1911's 39 32.77%
I was interested, but the prices are too high overall 38 31.93%
I was interested but the re-parked mixmaster condition makes them uncollectible 19 15.97%
I was never interested-would rather buy 200 lbs of bacon than spend $1000 these rattle-cans 26 21.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2018, 9:33 AM

Default Poll: What's Your Verdict on the CMP 1911s?

I gotta admit that I am confused whether to enter the CMP lottery for the 1911's so I thought I would try a poll to gather the "widsom of the crowd" here.

So which of the following best summarizes your plans? ACTUAL POLL APPEARS In THREAD BELOW - OPERATOR ERROR IN POSTING

1. I will enter the lottery and see the value in these historic 1911's
2. I was interested, but the prices are too high overall
3. I was interested but the re-parked mixmaster condition makes them uncollectible
4. I was never interested and would prefer to buy 200 lbs of bacon rather than spent $1000 on one of these rattle-cans.

Remember: the poll is non-scientific - no wagering please

Last edited by familyfarm; 09-06-2018 at 1:41 PM.. Reason: errors
Old 09-06-2018, 9:35 AM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

2 - No value in my mind. Not collectable and not likely to be as good as a comparably priced new gun.
Old 09-06-2018, 9:36 AM

Default Poll: What's Your Verdict on the CMP 1911s?

I gotta admit that I am undecided whether to enter the CMP lottery for the 1911's so I thought I would try a poll to gather the "widsom of the crowd" here.

Old 09-06-2018, 9:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

4 - $1000 for these is just silly IMO.
That is the price of a brand new Springfield Loaded 1911. That is just comedy.
Old 09-06-2018, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

I'll buy one.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

No poll?

Old 09-06-2018, 11:18 AM

I’d grab one- but I don’t have the money. Still voted for buy. A shooter for $1050 isn’t awful. Not collectible, but not awful.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm sending in a packet to try my luck

I suggest nobody else does though. They are going to be nothing but junk and not collectible at all
Old 09-06-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyfarm View Post
I gotta admit that I am confused whether to enter the CMP lottery for the 1911's so I thought I would try a poll to gather the "widsom of the crowd" here.

So which of the following best summarizes your plans?

1. I will enter the lottery and see the value in these historic 1911's
2. I was interested, but the prices are too high overall
3. I was interested but the re-parked mixmaster condition makes them uncollectible
4. I was never interested and would prefer to buy 200 lbs of bacon rather than spent $1000 on one of these rattle-cans.

If I had known about this about 4 months previously, I would have saved up enough cash to enter the lottery.

These are going to be extremely collectible, just like the M1 garands are, and 1903s, and 03-a3s, and M1 Carbines are.

The CMP sells them for hundreds less for the same condition on the private market.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
can you find a USGI 1911 for under 1000?
Old 09-06-2018, 12:28 PM

I actually want one. But, I have a few guns I'd like to get before I start the process. I'm not a big 1911 fan, but I think these are very cool.

I have heard that sometimes you can get a piece of crap.The CMP 1911's aren't built to the modern standards and some are barely usable. I heard that from a pretty knowledgeable guy, but I dodn't take that as gospel and it wouldn't stop me from buying one.

Safety Rule #1:
1) Treat all tweakers like they are loaded
Old 09-06-2018, 1:18 PM

You can find them under a 1000.00 but you have to search outside the normal channels of commerce and be patient.

That said, depending on the condition and what you get. You may very well be wiser to spend 500.00 more for something you can actually view and handle.

The crapshoot part of it through the CMP, is what would worry me more than the pricing points. 1000.00 may be good, may be bad. Depends on what comes in the mail.
Old 09-06-2018, 1:53 PM

I was initially interested, but the price is just too high and I have no interest in them as a collectable.
I would like to shoot one, but I can get good 1911's for that price.
I think I will just get out of the way and let someone else that really wants one go thru the process.
Old 09-06-2018, 1:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
Dumb comment.

A Springfield 1911 is not, and never will be, in the same class as a real US GI 1911. They are going to sell like ice cream in hades and when they finally run out, the price will start to rise. A commercial Springfield will never be anything more than a utilitarian shooter and quickly worth less than what you paid for it.
Old 09-06-2018, 6:30 PM

I was interested until what I think are unreasonable terms, conditions, mixed-up grading and prices. In the way they have described the whole affair, youd really need to physically handle the 1911 before buying and that wont happen. I do understand diehards dont care and I wish everyone good luck.
Old 09-06-2018, 6:56 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Iím going to wait until this first round of pistols are sold and see what people receive (as posted on the various forums).
I donít have a USGI 1911 and certainly want one but the CMP may not be the best option.
Old 09-06-2018, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevfin View Post
I have heard that sometimes you can get a piece of crap.The CMP 1911's aren't built to the modern standards and some are barely usable.
Since nobody has ever got one yet, curious how someone would "know" that. CMP is inspecting them and selling them by grade, so if you don't like the definition of "field grade" or "service grade" don't buy one. "Barely usable" they will not be.
Old 09-06-2018, 9:26 PM
CGN Contributor

I went to the great state of Texas and hand picked some nice examples. I'm sitting out this CMP offering.
Old 09-06-2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
Since nobody has ever got one yet, curious how someone would "know" that. CMP is inspecting them and selling them by grade, so if you don't like the definition of "field grade" or "service grade" don't buy one. "Barely usable" they will not be.
You make a good point. Iím going by what I was told, but I understand no one has gotten one yet.

My conversation was about a year ago when I as looking at the CMP program and what I had to do to qualify. When I asked knowledge people (maybe not as much as I thought??) I was lectured on military 1911s, manufacturing tolerances not being that tight, how they might not have been taken care of (abused), etc.

Keep in mind that wouldnít stop me. But, I realized that if it was going to be more than a collectors piece that sits in my safe, it would probably require some work. I guess we will find out when they start getting released.

Safety Rule #1:
1) Treat all tweakers like they are loaded
Old 09-06-2018, 10:15 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Nope. Not spending $1000 for a $350 gun.
Old 09-07-2018, 6:23 AM

For me too much $ for a mix master, I was thinking and hoping they'd be in the $850 range for a SG.
Old 09-07-2018, 6:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

For what they want, I would rather get a Springfield or Kimber.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
03 FFL/COE
DOJ Firearms Instructor
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer
First Firearm Purchased was in 1973 - Winchester 320 Bolt Action .22 rifle.
Old 09-07-2018, 7:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverwcw View Post
For what they want, I would rather get a Springfield or Kimber.
This

Old 09-07-2018, 8:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Nope. Not spending $1000 for a $350 gun.
No way, these will be $250 guns at best
Old 09-07-2018, 8:15 AM

American Rifleman had a good write up on the CMP 1911's. Said most of better quality ones would go to auction. As far as getting into lottery to spend $1050 on a piece of history, I think it would be cool to own one. I would add it to other pistols owned that do not get used.

PM me for your FrontSight needs.

WTB: Sig 220 Legion
Old 09-07-2018, 8:27 AM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

I was anxiously waiting for the CMP date to send in a packet and try for my first 1911. While waiting I decided to spend the money on a new 1911.
Old 09-07-2018, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

I love history and the 1911 but Im all tapped out on cash cant really justify going through the hoops and dropping a grand on something I cant shoot. I just picked up a used AO M1911A1 replica for $450 and it looks pretty spot on so that scratched the itch for a USGI 1911. I already have a new Colt Government 1911. Both guns are very accurate and I can shoot the snot out of them with our worrying about breaking an historical artifact. If the CMP dumps thousands of these every year, a bunch of them are going to make it on the secondary market thus increasing supply so that will make the prices on them decrease. Its just simple economics.

Im not frothing at the mouth to get my hands on one like everyone else is. They are really cool guns but whenever there is some kind of feeding frenzy it just turns me off. More power to those that are all into it. If guys want to line up a-hole to belly button to get one to brag about later, go for it. Just not my style. I'll wait for the dust to settle. Will probably be able to pick one up for $700-$800 in a couple years after the market is flooded with them .
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by lightcav; 09-07-2018 at 8:46 AM..
Old 09-07-2018, 9:27 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

I have to wonder if once these surplus guns hit the market...with everyone currently thinking that $1000 is a reasonable price based on collector's value...eventually get pissed because the flood of surplus 1911s on the market drives the value down 30%.

Collectors aren't particularly rational, so it may not happen. But current values are based on the current availability of the guns. As many as 100,000 more hitting the market over the next ten years is going to change that equation quite a bit, and you should wonder what a $1,000 CMP service grade 1911 is going to be worth five years from now. Makes me suspicious that the CMP and their "market value" pricing are about to pull the biggest troll on American shooters ever.
Old 09-07-2018, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I have to wonder if once these surplus guns hit the market...with everyone currently thinking that $1000 is a reasonable price based on collector's value...eventually get pissed because the flood of surplus 1911s on the market drives the value down 30%.

Collectors aren't particularly rational, so it may not happen. But current values are based on the current availability of the guns. As many as 100,000 more hitting the market over the next ten years is going to change that equation quite a bit, and you should wonder what a $1,000 CMP service grade 1911 is going to be worth five years from now. Makes me suspicious that the CMP and their "market value" pricing are about to pull the biggest troll on American shooters ever.
Exactly. The hype machine is working overtime. Its not like the very limited release of carbines a few years ago yet they are trying to hype up like it is. And ive heard of those CMP carbines going for way less in resale than what the CMP sold them for.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 09-07-2018, 9:39 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't consider these to be "collector grade" by any means. I believe they will mostly be parts guns, assembled for function and not collector value.

If I wanted a original martially marked M1911 collectible piece of history, I would seek one elsewhere. If I wanted a shooter, there are cheaper 1911 shooters that I can buy new.

They are still very interesting to me, but not at that price point.
Old 09-07-2018, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelonehorseman View Post
I wouldn't consider these to be "collector grade" by any means. I believe they will mostly be parts guns, assembled for function and not collector value.

If I wanted a original martially marked M1911 collectible piece of history, I would seek one elsewhere. If I wanted a shooter, there are cheaper 1911 shooters that I can buy new.

They are still very interesting to me, but not at that price point.
They are simply USGI 1911s. Thats it. You might be surprised to learn that the US military rebuilt firearms to servicable condition without thinking about ruffling the feathers of "collectors" decades in the future. Im sure it was the farthest from their minds. These guns are genuine wartime USGI military pistols. Thats the only reason we are having this discussion in the first place. As far as Im concerned, the only thing that matters to me is authenticiity and condition and function. I really could care less about matching parts. USGI is USGI to me. I know some people pay a premium for all matching and crap like that. Thats cool, but as long as it is USGI thats all that really matters to me.

Last edited by lightcav; 09-07-2018 at 10:01 AM..
Old 09-07-2018, 9:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As far as flooding the market goes and driving prices down, the CMP seems to have done a good job of that with Garands so it will definitely happen with the 1911s

For sure guys, stay away, save your money, you can get USGI 1911s far cheaper elsewhere
Old 09-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
They are USGI 1911s. Thats it. You might be surprised to learn that the US military rebuilt firearms to servicable condition without thinking about ruffling the feathers of "collectors" decades in the future. Im sure it was the farthest from their minds. These guns are genuine wartime USGI military pistols. Thats the only reason we are having this discussion in the first place. As far as Im concerned, the only thing that matters to me is authenticiity and condition and function. I really could care less about matching parts. USGI is USGI to me. I know some people pay a premium for all matching and crap like that. Thats cool, but as long as it is USGI thats all that really matters to me.
Actually no surprise there. I know the M1911's, like Garands and M1 carbines, were routinely reworked during their service, and in mass following the ends of various conflicts.

Even as a collector, that doesn't bother me as it represents a part of their US service history.

As a collector, I'd be aiming at one that hadn't been altered AFTER it was decommissioned from it's US service. While there's no way to know, for sure, if one has been messed with in all cases, that potential is rather high with these CMP offerings.

To each their own.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelonehorseman View Post
Actually no surprise there. I know the M1911's, like Garands and M1 carbines, were routinely reworked during their service, and in mass following the ends of various conflicts.

Even as a collector, that doesn't bother me as it represents a part of their US service history.

As a collector, I'd be aiming at one that hadn't been altered AFTER it was decommissioned from it's US service. While there's no way to know, for sure, if one has been messed with in all cases, that potential is rather high with these CMP offerings.

To each their own.
Yeah if the CMP has to rebuild these guns even more so they are functional that doesnt really bother me. The problem is it costs money for them to get these into saleable condition and that increases the price. So I'm not really sure of how great a value they are when its all said and done. I'll wait till the dust settles and if it never does, oh well, not really worried about it like a lot of guys are.

BTW I saw an unboxing video from inside the CMP. And these guns already look ready to go, I think that makes sense since you would think the Army would have rebuilt them before putting them in storage so they would be ready in case they needed to reissue them.

https://www.guns.com/2018/05/23/a-sn...-grabs-photos/

Last edited by lightcav; 09-07-2018 at 10:21 AM..
Old 09-07-2018, 10:46 AM

I would rather put the money toward a new gun than buy one of these.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:54 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingsocal View Post
As far as flooding the market goes and driving prices down, the CMP seems to have done a good job of that with Garands so it will definitely happen with the 1911s
Garands were $300-500 when CMP had them in quantity. It wasn't until the supply started to dry up that the prices increased.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:15 AM

One thing that is very likely going to happen also. Is when these 1911s are disassembled. All the parts thrown in cleaning vats. Then reassembled with the best matching internals, Slides and frames, these parts will be used to "correct" some and those will be used to go to the auction side. Rest will get random left over crappy parts puts back in.

Big difference between collectibility of a Genuine GI rebuilt one before it left service, as opposed to a private entity doing the correcting and rebuilds.. Which is going be the case here.

I would be much more interested in a rough one pulled from the crate as is for less money, than them refurbishing them for resale. I would maybe pay nearly as much for a untouched one in, as pulled from crate condition, than one refurbed by a private entity.

My opinion is they should all be sold for various amounts based on their evaluated as is condition as pulled from the crates. Maybe 5 levels,parts gun, poor, fair, good, excellent. They should not even be touched at all by the CMP other than packaging for shipping as far as I am concerned..That is just going to turn them into non collectible, false pieces of History.

Last edited by AR22; 09-07-2018 at 11:28 AM..
Old 09-07-2018, 1:10 PM

A point of clarification in defense of the offering. Note that in all articles and pics so far, the actual guns going to lottery are Anniston depot rebuilds which were re-done in 1978-82 and immediately stored in that condition (re-parked and refreshed internals). Certainly mixmasters, but Army-created mixmasters - and thus "authentic" USGI.

The ones going to auction (original finish) came from the Army Museum system and are not likely to get re-worked as far as I can see. So while we should understand that lottery "winners" will get a freshly re-arsenaled 1911A1 with new grey parkerizing, the CMP is not likely to be stripping them all and rebuilding them like they have done with lots of Garands. But I might be wrong.

I am still on the fence staring at my complete packet. I can see these having their own market much like the arsenal fresh milsurps we used to see from the eastern bloc but minus the cosmo. They are not original so have less collector value - but not zero collector value.
Old 09-07-2018, 5:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Most of this batch of 8000 pistols are rebuilt mixmaster pistols so no interest to collectors. By the time you would spend on a service grade ($1050) plus the sales tax ( 9.25% for me) plus the dealer/ DROS fee your upwards of $1250.00

I will pass on this ( maybe regret it later) but you can still find a decent WWII 1911A1 for under that price if you watch the classifieds here.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 09-07-2018, 7:52 PM
Calguns Addict

I only need one 1911, It does everything just as well as a high end custom 1911. Maybe better.hard to beat perfect. Paid 520 dollar new.