Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-17-2018, 9:08 AM

Default 1:48 - Copper/Lead bullets

Thanks to Tom-ADC for setting me up with my first muzzleloader! I'm reading the Lyman manual and picking up all the knick-knacks I'll need before my first range trip. As this will be primarily a hunting rifle, I need a little help with bullet selection.

For my .308, I've paired 125 grain lead with 130 grain copper bullets and cannot tell the difference in the point of impact out to 300+ yards. It is a great practice & hunting combo for me. I run the exact same powder charge for both bullets.

Thinking I'd like to try the same thing for the muzzleloader, I picked up some Hornady XTP (lead) in 240 grain and some Barnes Expander MZ (copper) in 250 grains. However, once I got them home & opened them up, there was a huge difference in the length of the bullets. Both are HP but the barnes is such a deep HP that it ends up being about 30-50% longer than the Hornady. I expect a copper to be longer but these were a lot longer than I expected.

Barnes recommends twist rates of 1:16 - 1:34 -- more appropriate for in-lines than Hawkens. Any idea how these might do in my rifle? Are they likely to require different charges to get similar points of impact out to 100 yards? Or should I be ordering some lead-free round ball rather than messing around with conicals & sabots?
Old 09-17-2018, 12:37 PM

Where does on procure said lead-free round balls? Are they DFG or wildlife or whatever they call themselves now approved? Pardon the questions instead of answers reply!
Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Chicken View Post
Where does on procure said lead-free round balls? Are they DFG or wildlife or whatever they call themselves now approved? Pardon the questions instead of answers reply!
Ballistics Products sells Non Toxic round ball

here:
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/
Old 09-17-2018, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Chicken View Post
I don't know if they're CA approved but they certainly honor the spirit of the law. If a warden was unconvinced and wanted to push things, I'd make my case to the judge with a lot of confidence.
Old 09-17-2018, 3:15 PM

Thank you sir, I appreciate your input.

Cheers.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:12 AM

Just heard back the official word from Barnes. None of their bullets are expected to stabilize at 1:48. Ordered some ITX round balls. Fine by me. I think I'll like the more traditional side of things anyway.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:22 AM

Looks like the ITX round ball is approved after all.
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...D=91765&inline
Old 09-18-2018, 4:21 PM

Soooo bloody cool! Thank you, I didn't dig deep enough. I like to woods roam & this will be an awesome way to hike/hunt with a cap and ball revolver. Thank you Sir.