Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vg247 View Post
Thanks very much as always JDay- Iím going to go with a Crye Precision JPC, my specifications are to get plates which stop the M855 which are lightweight, deciding on whether to get side plate protection as well.
Then the DKX M12 is probably exactly what you are looking for. They'll likely be the next level 4 plates that I get as well since they are lightweight, buoyant and can take multiple hits without compromising the ARMOR. At around $500/plate for the 10x12 or $650 for the 11x14 they aren't cheap but the weight savings and durability are well worth it.

https://cqbsouth.com/product/m12-ser...s-nij-iv-plus/

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

Last edited by JDay; 12-17-2017 at 10:44 PM..
Old 12-17-2017, 10:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you don't need level 4 there's also the M7.

http://dkxarmor.com/m7-series.php

https://cqbsouth.com/product/m7-series-nij-iii-plus/

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Then the DKX M12 is probably exactly what you are looking for. They'll likely be the next level 4 plates that I get as well since they are lightweight, buoyant and can take multiple hits without compromising the ARMOR. At around $500/plate for the 10x12 or $650 for the 11x14 they aren't cheap but the weight savings and durability are well worth it.

https://cqbsouth.com/product/m12-ser...s-nij-iv-plus/

Youíre the man, thanks. Let me know if you do go with these and order, perhaps they may provide a multi discount if we both went in together.

Happy Holidays
Old 12-17-2017, 11:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vg247 View Post
Youíre the man, thanks. Let me know if you do go with these and order, perhaps they may provide a multi discount if we both went in together.

Happy Holidays
It'll be a while before I can get these. Been buying a lot of tools lately and bought quite a few toys. I doubt they'd do a discount on anything less than a bulk order since they contact with different agencies.

Old 12-19-2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-r View Post
SAPIs are outdated at this point, though they will still work, and you would want to get them X-Rayed prior to use. It also depends on what threat you are expecting. If you need black tip protection, a multi-hit Level IV like the Midwest FM4 is a good choice. If thinner plates that will stop all 5.56 and most 7.62x39 (but not .308) are more your speed, the Midwest STX plates are still extremely nice.

Backers should be worn with all rifle plates, regardless of whether they are considered "stand alone."
The FM4 looks promising. It shows the Large as 10.125" x 13.25", 0.09in @6.3lbs... On paper it shows it fares a little better in thickness and weight against the Dfndr LVL4 with the same specs as above.

Pardon my ignorance, but when you say backers does that mean a level III soft armor worn under the PC?

IF that was the case how would the FM STX fare with a level III soft armor?
Old 12-22-2017, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member

Doc, do you have any recommendations for a Level II soft armor backer made in SAPI/ESAPI sizes? Quite easy to find IIIA from reputable manufacturers but II seems to be a bit challenging.
Old 01-03-2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric90503 View Post
The FM4 looks promising. It shows the Large as 10.125" x 13.25", 0.09in @6.3lbs... On paper it shows it fares a little better in thickness and weight against the Dfndr LVL4 with the same specs as above.

Pardon my ignorance, but when you say backers does that mean a level III soft armor worn under the PC?

IF that was the case how would the FM STX fare with a level III soft armor?
Backers are level IIIA or level II soft armor, usually cut to match the plate profile they are worn with.

Backers will typically not alter or change a plate's rating (for example, the addition of soft armor behind the STX plates will not make them capable of stopping M80 ball).

The main purpose of backers is twofold- first, as a "safety net" to catch rounds that are "just barely" stopped by the plate. This can happen if several rounds impact close together on a level III plate, or if a round has more velocity than the plate was rated for.

The second is to provide additional blunt trauma protection.

Patriot Man, sending PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
If you're going to get these new lightweight plates I'd go with a different vendor that has the ones that will stop M855.

I don't believe there's plate made totally out of PE, that will stop M855. Hence why DKX's armor is Ceramic Poly. Also their plates are re-branded TenCate plates