Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

so weve got Anderson and Knight, the other 5 either have a 0% rating from the NRA or have introduced their own gun control bills. Things are sure looking up
Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
Hopefully our legislature as learned its lesson from Leland Yee's other costly bill.

Any of who are gamers remember the anti-gamer legislation which was authored by Leland Yee which the State of California passed and later overturned by the Supreme Court that cost the State of California over $1.8 million in legal fees alone? Thats just an example of how bad Yee's record/legislation as been. He as costed us tax dollars in the past and continues to infringe on our constitutional rights.

Supreme Court - 1
Leland Yee - 0

Lets keep the scorecard that way.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...edibility.aspx
Didn't he propose another gaming bill?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Send them all back to China with Yee.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:19 AM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAReact View Post
Bill re-referred to Committee on Public Safety yesterday (02/07/13). Guess its time to start contacting committee members...

Me m b e r s
Senator Loni Hancock (Chair)
Senator Joel Anderson (Vice Chair)
Senator Marty Block
Senator Kevin de León
Senator Steve Knight
Senator Carol Liu
Senator Darrell Steinberg
Kevin de Leon will stop it for sure.....
Old 02-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

the key to this fight might be convincing the other bill writers that if Yee's bill passes theirs wont, so they need to defeat his bill or theirs wont pass

Last edited by Hoooper; 02-08-2013 at 11:41 AM..
Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Repair View Post
Not that anything will happen right away, it will take a year or two at least for even signs of sanity to appear. But I won't be surprised if things are remarkably different five years from now.

Both parties have been like two kids at school, swinging their fists and yelling "Lemme at him!" while a teacher holds the two apart. They could avoid reality as long as they had the teacher as an excuse. Now they don't.
The last time I looked, the term "tipping point" meant the point of no return. I hate to rain on your parade, but California is past that point. It did happen last November. You can be deluded by what you think you are seeing, or what you hope will happen, but, it just ain't so. California is not run by the politicians. The politicians suck-up to, and take orders from, the large public sector unions that run this state. The correctional unions, teachers' unions, CSEA, SEIU, police and fire unions and various other state and/or municipal employee unions call the shots and elect their puppets. The unions give large bucks to their stooges' campaigns, and the stooges give the money right back to them in one form or another. It is a circular road to perdition.

As far as gun control goes, the Democrats can and will do whatever they want to do. Moonbeam may or may not veto some bills, but some will make it no matter what. It will take years for courts to undo the wrongs - if ever.

Again, knowing that the outcome is certain should not deter anyone from raging against that outcome. The Alamo would not stand for what it does if those who knew they were going to die took Santa Ana's early offer to walk away. The Constitution is what is at stake - who cares about California? Whatever made this state such a great place to live vanished long ago in the deluge of illegals and welfare dependents who suck the life out of the rest of us - encouraged by the government unions all the way. It is not just a California problem, it is the American nightmare. I repeat the question, will there be an Alamo in California?
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." -- President John F. Kennedy
Old 02-18-2013, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lja View Post
The last time I looked, the term "tipping point" meant the point of no return. I hate to rain on your parade, but California is past that point. It did happen last November.
You're not raining on my parade, only your own. There are no permanent tipping points in politics, and California will recover. We've been through far worse.

The Democrats may have won a super majority, but they are not robots with a common mindset and goals. They will fracture, they already have, with the wingnuts pushing for too much too soon, which alarms the halfway sane into thinking they might lose their goals by waking up Republicans and moderates.

You can be as afraid of the sky falling as you want. It isn't.

Last edited by Scarecrow Repair; 02-18-2013 at 6:34 AM..
Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Made in the USA

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Repair View Post
You're not raining on my parade, only your own. There are no permanent tipping points in politics, and California will recover. We've been through far worse.

The Democrats may have won a super majority, but they are not robots with a common mindset and goals. They will fracture, they already have, with the wingnuts pushing for too much too soon, which alarms the halfway sane into thinking they might lose their goals by waking up Republicans and moderates.

You can be as afraid of the sky falling as you want. It isn't.
not in my lifetime... it's been steadily getting worse for the past 20 years (or more)... I've been saying it for the past 5-10 years - it's nothing new, but more people are fed up (or at least voicing it now) - and I'm not referring only to this forum.

unless you are much older than me I'm not sure when you have encountered "far worse". It's as bad as it's ever been in the last 45-50 years... and prior, as far as I know it was great.

Unless there is MAJOR change (which wont happen in the near or even distant future) - it is not on any road to recovery by any stretch of the imagination... So like many things in life, we work with what we have - or make our own life changes (in this case move to a more sound state).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
-----------------------------
Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM

They want to make it a Felony to have any hollow point bullets. As a match shooter, that is bull****. These people make my blood boil.

Thomas Jefferson.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocksmith View Post
They want to make it a Felony to have any hollow point bullets. As a match shooter, that is bull****. These people make my blood boil.
this is the consequences of voting. most people have zero clue there is one in the first place.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 PM

The bill is set for hearing on April 16th along with SB 374 on the same day

SB 47 http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...arch_keywords=

SB 374 http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...avClient.xhtml
Old 03-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Any word on likely or unlikely passage of these?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootuser View Post
Very likely.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootuser View Post
I don't know, but its probably wise to keep those thoughts to ourselves, last time we basically wrote the bill for them, don't want a repeat there lol.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:33 PM

blah... this will be like watching a +3 month long horror movie...
Old 03-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoPlinker View Post
I don't know, but its probably wise to keep those thoughts to ourselves, last time we basically wrote the bill for them, don't want a repeat there lol.
Good advice.
Old 03-14-2013, 7:54 AM

Quote:
The bill is set for hearing on April 16th along with SB 374 on the same day

SB 47 http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...arch_keywords=

SB 374 http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...avClient.xhtml
Do they plan to go with one or the other? What would SB 47 do that SB 374 wouldn't?

Last edited by dmckean44; 03-14-2013 at 7:59 AM..
Old 03-14-2013, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckean44 View Post
Do they plan to go with one or the other? What would SB 47 do that SB 374 wouldn't?
Nothing. On the other hand, it appears that 374 does the following things that 47 does not:

1) Requires you to register any detachable-magazine-fed rifle that you own (regardless of action type and when acquired)
2) Extends the SB47 definition of "assault weapons" to include ALL detachable-mag semi-auto rifles INCLUDING rimfires.

The conspicuous inclusion of language lifted directly from 47 in 374 implies that 374 would be the preferred vector of attack...

Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for? --Gimli, son of Gloin; on attacking the vast army of Mordor

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
--Patrick Henry; Virginia, 1775

Last edited by jwkincal; 03-14-2013 at 8:27 AM..
Old 03-14-2013, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

ALL of them are going to pass. These will ALL need to be battled in court.
Old 03-14-2013, 9:14 AM
Veteran Member

im still trying to figure out what the definition of detachable magazine is. Ive seen the "dis-assembly of the action" line, but what does that really mean? I have a lever action rifle that I can remove the tubular magazine from without disassembling the action. Also have a bolt action Winchester model 70 (just like millions of other Americans) that I could disassemble the "magazine" without dis-assembly of the action. Would those both need to be registered? If so, dont worry about flooding the system with useless hammer and axe registrations, the guns actually required to be registered would do that all on their own
Old 03-14-2013, 9:59 AM

This bill is funny. Enough loops holes to drive a truck through it... And the unintended consequences are pretty funny too.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh429 View Post
And the unintended consequences are pretty funny too.
Why do you think they're unintended?
Old 03-15-2013, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkincal View Post
1) Requires you to register any detachable-magazine-fed rifle that you own (regardless of action type and when acquired)
Every Lee-Enfield owner should register.
Old 03-15-2013, 7:46 PM

Sounds like Mini14 and Mini30 will be included?...

mala tempora currunt
Old 03-20-2013, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVino View Post
Sounds like Mini14 and Mini30 will be included?...
It is so poorly written that almost everything can be included unless otherwise exempted.

Also, did anyone notice that you can only pay by credit card or debit card? What happens to those with bad credit, or don't believe in anything other than cash and checks?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 PM

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...=201320140SB47

Tons of amendments today. Allows internet registration for a fee. Sounds like a poll tax - $20/weapon, $15/person.

Interesting part: The fee shall be deposited in the Dealers’ Record of Sale Special Account - the $20M fund that we've all paid into. We should be entitled to a refund for that.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
We should be entitled to a refund for that.

Refund?? LoL they are fixin to raid, pillage and plunder that DROS fund.

Quote:
(4) The department may charge a fee of up to fifteen dollars ($15) per person but not to exceed the reasonable processing costs of the department. The fee shall be paid by debit or credit card at the time that the electronic registration is submitted to the department. The fee shall be deposited in the Dealers’ Record of Sale Special Account.

'not to exceed the reasonable processing costs' - yea right, then how is there 20 million surplus in the DROS fund? and now they want to pump it up some more

Quote:
This bill would permit the department to increase the $20 registration fee

Bald Faced Crooks
Old 03-21-2013, 3:55 AM
Veteran Member

The phrase "exclude from those provisions" has been changed to "exempt from punishment."
WTF?
Is it just me, or does anybody find this kind of wording messed up?
And after the Bonta end exemptions thing, changing wording from "exclude" to "exempt from punishment" is kinda scary. Maybe I need to break out the tin foil hat.
WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / CHP S&W / Other PD trade ins....
Old 03-21-2013, 7:53 AM

gotta fight it tooth and nail...this guy, yee, is truly unbalanced...all you have to do is read his stuff: "Studies show...." just think about the population of the states compared...FACTS show differently according to FBI records...Jon Lott's extensive research show "More guns=less crime"...

wasn't the Stockton tragedy done by a woman, Brenda Spencer, IIRC and, she used a .22 rifle, NOT an "Assault rifle".

i am a legend in my own mind...

we are told not to judge muslims by what a few do...yet, the NRA membership and firearms owners are ALL considered as radical...

"The second amendment ain't about your deer rifle..."
Old 04-18-2013, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFgiants105 View Post
Our only hope here is for gun-control politicians to step on our rights so extensively that the judiciary branch is forced to intervene and reverse it all
The judicial branch has no such charter. They only hear complaints and injunctions. It takes a Patriot to find the time and money to bring a complaint to the attention of the legal system (yes, it's a legal system, not a judicial system).

--edfardos
Old 04-18-2013, 5:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Any mention of limits on sun tan oil and hookers yet?

"Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.
I like my guns like the left likes their voters-"undocumented".
Old 04-18-2013, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
Any mention of limits on sun tan oil and hookers yet?
Only for Secret Service agents...
Old 04-23-2013, 2:07 PM

http://legiscan.com/CA/bill/SB47

Does this mean it just passed!?

Last edited by enkrypt3d; 04-23-2013 at 2:10 PM..
Old 04-23-2013, 2:10 PM
Calguns Addict

no.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 04-23-2013, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
no.
So how can we stop the senate subcommittee from passing this? I wish this was put up for a public vote and not some backroom sketchy deal...

http://www.followthemoney.org/databa....phtml?uc=4419

Looks like he has some serious support funds......

Last edited by enkrypt3d; 04-23-2013 at 2:14 PM..
Old 04-23-2013, 3:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkrypt3d View Post
http://legiscan.com/CA/bill/SB47

Does this mean it just passed!?
It says
Quote:
Status
April 17 2013 - From committee: Do pass and re-refer to Com. on APPR. (Ayes 5. Noes 2. Page 567.) (April 16). Re-referred to Com. on APPR.
Pending: Senate Appropriations Committee
Please see http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=701762

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-23-2013, 3:28 PM

It's going to pass out of committee. The political fallout if it didn't would be too high. The only change that is remotely likely prior to the legislature passing this is the inclusion of an exemption list for "legitimate sporting arms" similar to DiFi's list that would include rifles such as the Ruger 10/22, Browning BAR stalker hunting rifle, etc to limit opposition from hunters.

This one is going to the courts and will essentially be a test of the "Common Use" language in the Heller case.
Old 04-23-2013, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
It's going to pass out of committee. The political fallout if it didn't would be too high. The only change that is remotely likely prior to the legislature passing this is the inclusion of an exemption list for "legitimate sporting arms" similar to DiFi's list that would include rifles such as the Ruger 10/22, Browning BAR stalker hunting rifle, etc to limit opposition from hunters.

This one is going to the courts and will essentially be a test of the "Common Use" language in the Heller case.
I don't mean to be rude, but this seems like some thing we should keep on the down low, wouldn't want to help the out with the bill.
Old 04-30-2013, 6:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I don't mean to be rude, but this seems like some thing we should keep on the down low, wouldn't want to help the out with the bill.
Some people don't understand the concept of operational security (OPSEC).

They just have to run their mouths, regardless of the consequences.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 04-30-2013, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestguns View Post
It's been set for a hearing in the Appropriations Committee on May 6th.
The cost analysis of this is our only hope with respect to getting any help from Appropriations. Anyone have a thumbnail as to what this turd will cost?