Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2017, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by echopapa View Post
Thanks - yeah, trying to look for stock extensions for my X95, but no luck.
How many inches does it need to add?

Old 08-15-2017, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

a factory X95 is about 26 3/8", so 4" or just a touch under.

I suspect the ergos would be horrible at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 08-15-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post

Probably, but as long as the gun still works then it can be registered. After that, DOJ doesn't care what you do with it as long as you don't make it into an NFA firearm or mess with the magazine release.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:00 PM

(d) A semiautomatic shotgun with an ammunition feeding device that can be readily removed from the firearm with the use of a tool, commonly referred to as a bullet-button weapon, is included in the category of firearms that must be registered.

Does this mean my SRM 1216 must be registered even with no evil features. It doesn't mention them like it does in the rifle regs.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:05 PM
小さな女性

Quote:
Originally Posted by General View Post
(d) A semiautomatic shotgun with an ammunition feeding device that can be readily removed from the firearm with the use of a tool, commonly referred to as a bullet-button weapon, is included in the category of firearms that must be registered.

Does this mean my SRM 1216 must be registered even with no evil features. It doesn't mention them like it does in the rifle regs.
Quote:
(c) The Department will not register a firearm as an assault weapon if the firearm is featureless, except for bullet-button shotguns as described in section 5470(d).
https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Doc...efault)&bhcp=1

Quote:
5470. Registration of Assault Weapons Pursuant to Penal Code Section 30900(b)(1); Which Weapons Must be Registered.
(a) Except as provided in section 5472, an assault weapon that does not have a fixed magazine, as defined by Penal Code section 30515, must be registered with the Department before July 1, 2018.
(b) A semiautomatic, centerfire or rimfire pistol with an ammunition feeding device that can be readily removed from the firearm with the use of a tool, commonly referred to as a bullet-button weapon, that has one or more specified features identified in Penal Code section 30515 is included in the category of firearms that must be registered.
(c) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle with an ammunition feeding device that can be readily removed from the firearm with the use of a tool, commonly referred to as a bullet-button weapon, that has one or more specified features identified in Penal Code section 30515 is included in the category of firearms that must be registered.
https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Doc...a=(sc.Default)
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
Its always seemed to me absurd that you make 100% of the people to do something, in order to make sure that 1 or 2% of the people dont behave badly.
-Milton Friedman
Old 08-15-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General View Post

Correct. No "featureless" exemption for shotguns, all semiauto shotguns that have a bullet-button (or similar) magazine release have to be registered, according to DOJ. (even though the new law said nothing of the sort)

ETA: Just saw Meno beat me to it - see his post for the relevant citations.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 08-15-2017 at 12:11 PM..
Old 08-15-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Probably, but as long as the gun still works then it can be registered. After that, DOJ doesn't care what you do with it as long as you don't make it into an NFA firearm or mess with the magazine release.
Interesting, if it were to be accepted as a registered AW - previously featureless due to the overall length, i would have a "normal" mag release to use and able to bring it back down to 30" overall w/ non-perm muzzle device (or would it be even 26"?)
Old 08-15-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Interesting, if it were to be accepted as a registered AW - previously featureless due to the overall length, i would have a "normal" mag release to use and able to bring it back down to 30" overall w/ non-perm muzzle device (or would it be even 26"?)
I believe down to 26" would even be ok - there aren't any indications that it isn't, but don't quote me on that.

As for the mag release, I wouldn't make that assumption yet. The regulations say changing it to a regular mag release after registering is a big no-no. But it remains to be seen whether or not that rule is even enforceable. In the meantime I would wait.

But the mag release is the only thing DOJ strictly forbids changing after registering. As long as your firearm doesn't violate other laws (including, but not limited to, making it an NFA Title II weapon), you can theoretically do whatever you want with it.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 08-15-2017 at 12:33 PM..
Old 08-15-2017, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks - yeah, trying to look for stock extensions for my X95, but no luck.
I'm in the exact same boat. It doesn't look like anyone makes stock extensions for the X95.

I was thinking of making an extended buttpad somehow, but I couldn't even find a replacement buttpad to use as a spare. IWI only sells the thin buttpad, which might be an option as a starting point for making a custom buttpad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2017, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jok5tr View Post
I'm in the exact same boat. It doesn't look like anyone makes stock extensions for the X95.

I was thinking of making an extended buttpad somehow, but I couldn't even find a replacement buttpad to use as a spare. IWI only sells the thin buttpad, which might be an option as a starting point for making a custom buttpad.

If it's a big enough problem for enough people, I'm sure some crafty manufacturer will make something for us.

The regulations don't say that the buttpad has to look good, or feel good, or even be attached that well. For what it's worth.

Some people have jokingly said you could just tape a stick to your buttstock to make the gun longer, register, then take it off. I might try to do something a *little* more functional than that, just so I'm not pushing my luck, but really we don't know yet what the DOJ will accept or not so we're all just guessing right now.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 08-15-2017 at 1:40 PM..
Old 08-15-2017, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post

Do you know if that measurement of a factory X95 is for a bare muzzle or if it included the length of the standard factory muzzle device?

I was thinking of making an extended buttpad that's kind of L-shaped. The idea is for the portion of the buttpad that sits in the shoulder pocket to roughly maintain the same length of pull as the existing buttpad but then have an extended portion that rests on top of the shoulder to provide extra stability and to bear some of the weight. The goal is to meet the 30" OAL, stay close to the existing length of pull, and have an extended portion that actually serves a purpose other than being an eyesore. Any thoughts on whether something like that would be acceptable?

That's just an idea I have, but I'm not sure I actually have the know-how to pull it off. Another idea that I have is to bolt on a piece of wood shaped like a traditional rifle butt and then attach a recoil pad to the end of that. In that case, it will look butt ugly and the ergos will probably suck too.

Old 08-15-2017, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know. I'd have to measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 08-15-2017, 9:07 PM

This has been incredibly helpful. A huge thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread!
Old 08-17-2017, 6:31 PM

Quick question, does "Acquired From" mean the transferring dealer or the dealer that you actuality paid for the firearm? If "Acquired From" means the transferring dealer, do we just use the FFL'S name if they are not an actual store?
Old 08-17-2017, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozumasbullitt View Post
Quick question, does "Acquired From" mean the transferring dealer or the dealer that you actuality paid for the firearm? If "Acquired From" means the transferring dealer, do we just use the FFL'S name if they are not an actual store?
That's my understanding, yes.
Old 08-17-2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozumasbullitt View Post
Yep. Whoever the FFL is that ran your background check is always who you acquired it from, for the purposes of this form. Their personal name, if they don't have a company name, will be fine.